4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Have Leak On The Axle Driver Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
mugenmtx3

I Have Leak On The Axle Driver Side

Guys i need your help on this one,my friend max have a leak on the axle driver side,we replace the axle (after market)and still leaking,we ask some advice from a shop and the machanic told us that some aftermarket axle is been polished too much and that the reason rubber seal wont hold at the axle,
PLEASE HELP ASAP

Old 10-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Maintenance Monster

If the axle has ANY wobble or wiggle at all where it enters the tranny, you don't have a seal or axle problem. You have a transmission problem because the bearings inside are worn down and can no longer hold the differential perfectly in place, and the wobble causes oil to leak past the seal. Drain a sample of oil from the tranny - if it contains any silvery metallic flakes then the tranny bearings are worn out. The solution is to rebuild the tranny.

If the axle is locked in nice and solidly at the tranny, then replace the axle seal first and see if that solves the problem.

If the polishing on the axle journal is nice and smooth, I really doubt there is anything wrong with it. As long as you can't feel any grooves in the finish with your fingernail, it's probably fine. It's highly unlikely the axle is made to the wrong diameter. Measure the original axle and the aftermarket axle - if they are within .002" in diameter, it's safe to say nothing is wrong with it.

I see a lot of worn tranny bearings and occasionally a damaged seal, but never have I heard of the axle being wrong.

Dave
Old 10-21-2006, 08:33 AM
mugenmtx3

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
If the axle has ANY wobble or wiggle at all where it enters the tranny, you don't have a seal or axle problem. You have a transmission problem because the bearings inside are worn down and can no longer hold the differential perfectly in place, and the wobble causes oil to leak past the seal. Drain a sample of oil from the tranny - if it contains any silvery metallic flakes then the tranny bearings are worn out. The solution is to rebuild the tranny.

If the axle is locked in nice and solidly at the tranny, then replace the axle seal first and see if that solves the problem.

If the polishing on the axle journal is nice and smooth, I really doubt there is anything wrong with it. As long as you can't feel any grooves in the finish with your fingernail, it's probably fine. It's highly unlikely the axle is made to the wrong diameter. Measure the original axle and the aftermarket axle - if they are within .002" in diameter, it's safe to say nothing is wrong with it.

I see a lot of worn tranny bearings and occasionally a damaged seal, but never have I heard of the axle being wrong.

Dave
Thanks Dave
So you mean if it is a bearing the whole trans need to be rebuild or replace is there any other way like just to replace the bearing

thanks again'

Old 10-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Maintenance Monster

Depends on the bearing wear. In some cases the mainshaft and input shaft bearings look ok, and the rebuilder can replace just the diff bearings. This requires much less disassembly of the tranny and probably cuts the time on the repair bench in half. But you still have to drop the tranny to do this.

IMHO it's better to completely disassemble, wash the housings, and reassemble with all new bearings. I call this a 'complete' rebuild where you're just changing bearings and seals, measure endplays and install the matching shims. Usually no need to change synchros or other hard parts.

Dave