4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What happened to my Starter ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What happened to my Starter ??

Well just went out and started my car. Got it running and I heard a weird noise coming from the engine bay. Shut the car off and the Starter is still going. I quickly removed the Ground on the Battery real fast and it stopped. If I connect the ground to the battery that gear noise starts up again ?? Its continually running. What is that ?? If I put my hand on the seleniod, it can feel what I am hearing.

Is the Starter Fried for good ??

-matt
Old 11-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Pay to Play

Its Fried! Same thing happend to a friend of mine. And yea that noise is really anoying. Get a new one
Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM

A lot of places offer rebates on the core. So make sure you find a place that has that offer, because you'll save at least $50.

You just give them your old starter and they'll deduct the core charge. They rebuild them...

I know autozone makes that offer.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Its definetly the starter ?? Not anything to do with the key cylinder or a short anywhere ??

I took the starter off and I guess ill get a new one tomorrow. Should I get a nissan $197 or one at a local auto parts store for $118 ??

-matt
Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 PM

hey matty i had this same issue with a friend of mine...he installed a new starter and it stayed on...two problems existed..first when he put the new one in the ground wire was too close to the other wire on there creating a constant spark and had the starter running...and when he changed the starter the auto parts store gave him a bad one so just check that first and be careful with the autoparts places...jus my .02 cents
Old 11-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Why is it getting constant power ?? When the starter goes out, it can get constant power. Im really afriad that its in my Steering Column.

Please someone talk me into believing it is my Starter

-matt
Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 AM

Definetly the starter ???

-matt
Old 11-04-2006, 08:06 AM

why dont you bench test the starter? also get an OEM nissan starter, not no autozone junk.. you should know this by now,,
Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 AM

It wouldnt be an autozone starter. Its going to be a rebuilt one from an auto parts store. $118 lifetime warentee or $197 from Nissan. Both are rebuilt. Nissan doesnt offer a New Starter.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

starting problems

Hi I hve also Nissan maxiam 96 model. I am facing starting problems
It's not starting within 1st key igniion always giving me jweeev noise.
My car batteries is brand new. but don't undertand why its giving me starting dealay any onve have have some solutions... please suggest..
Old 11-12-2006, 12:49 PM

something similair happened to me
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds to me like the solenoid is sticking. The stuck solenoid would continue to deliver power to the starter since it has its own direct connection to the battery. If it were mine I'd pull the starter and solenoid out (They come out as one piece.) and take them apart, clean and regrease (sparingly) them. That would probably fix the problem unless the starter overheated when it was running continuously.
Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The wheezing noise on starting happened to me too. The starter gear isn't retracting from the flywheel gear quickly enough. It seems a very common thing with these cars. You need to take out the starter, take it apart, clean and regrease it. Fixes the problem just fine.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi

Change the starter but same problems don't know the starting nosise comming from.

Some one suggest Do grounding that i hv done. but still same problems.

Please advice.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:41 AM

Its probably in your steering column.

Take off the plug on your starter, grey or blue clip, and take a tester to it. Ground the ground side and stick the tester on that plug. With the car turned to ACC you shouldnt have power there. If you do, then something in the steering column is wrong.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

before spending $197 @ nissan or even $118 @ autozone, I'd see if there's a local place that will rebuild your starter. I brought mine to a local place that rebuilds starters and alternators. They replaced everything but the housing, even a new solenoid. It only cost me $83. They turned it around in 1 afternoon.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:04 AM

I think autozone can test it so take it off and take it to autozone let them test it and they will tell you if its you starter or not
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM

you can't go wrong with a rebuilt starter.

In fact, the original starter on my 1998 I30 is made by Hitachi. It also has a 'Nissian' mark on it though.

So who is the manufacturer then?
In my opnion, it's Hitachi. It's not hard to imagine that Nissian purchases all kinds of parts to assembly cars.

so I don't believe there is a real 'Nissian' starter. The starters at your local part store would work just fine.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by matty
Why is it getting constant power ?? When the starter goes out, it can get constant power. Im really afriad that its in my Steering Column.

Please someone talk me into believing it is my Starter

-matt
the solenoid is stuck engaging the starter.. take it apart and clean it and regrease it...
Old 01-05-2007, 05:10 PM

matty, there is a constant wire on the starter. I highly doubt its in the steering column if you look closely to your positive cable there is a 4 gauge wire that runs directly to the starter. Which would give it constant power.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Cheesing away...

my starter finally went out last week, it had all the weird noises of going out and finally died. Went out and got a new one and not a single problem since.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:56 PM

You sure you didnt switch the 2 wires connected to the starter...?

I did this once, switched the ground and the Positive and it started on its own with the car off because i accidently reconnected the +battert terminal.

Try switching the connections on the starter.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 AM

Well just went out and started my car. Got it running and I heard a weird noise coming from the engine bay. Shut the car off and the Starter is still going. I quickly removed the Ground on the Battery real fast and it stopped. If I connect the ground to the battery that gear noise starts up again ?? Its continually running. What is that ?? If I put my hand on the seleniod, it can feel what I am hearing.

-matt
Sounds like a short to ground. If you arent getting any blown fuses, then its probably shorted in the commutator or some other internal components of the starter. Replace it for sure.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 AM

-matt
that same thing happened to me at work one day. i went to start the car, it was about to catch then it didnt and it kept spinning even after the key was out. I ran and grabbed a 10mm and took of the battery ternimal. I put it back on and it still kept spinning. After a quick beating on the starter, and unplugging all the connectors then putting them back in, I put the battery terminal back on and the starter stopped and started up fine.

I still dont know what the problem was but that same starter is still in my car, and hasnt acted up since.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starting problem could be ignition switch

I believe that the majority of intermittent starting problems can be attributed to a worn out ignition switch, especially if the starter cannot be determined to definitely be defective. I have a 95 and 96 SE and have had the problem on both of them that has been described here so many times, starts fine then other times it won't start unless you play with the key a while. The suggested banging on the starter, disassembling and greasing, and replacing the soleniod seemed to fix the problem each time but since it's an intermittent problem, it returned later. I finally looked at the ignition switch and found that the detents were all worn and the internal contact pressure had dropped significantly. I replaced the ignition switch on both and am going on two years without a single no start condition. The ignition switch should have a firm detent in each position, if it doesn't then it's worn. The ignition switch is also quite inexpensive compared to a starter and if you're not sure about the starter and just going to replace parts, then it's a good place to start.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

-matt
Bro, just go to AutoZone, O'Riellys, or Advanced Auto and they'll test your starter for free, and if it is your starter you can get one while your there, lifetime warranty and all that junk. It's fairly easy to install. I had my alternator burn up on me, replaced it and 3 days later my starter went bad and I replaced that too. The alternator took me a lot longer than the starter.

Hey what happened to the custommaxima.com/customenterprise.com website?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 AM

I changed the starter and it fixed it.

The seleniod got stock on my old starter

-matt