4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car stalled.... wtf?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Car stalled.... wtf?!?!

This problem occurred both before and after I boosted. About 2 months ago the car stalled as I was driving at a very low speed (almost a crawl). CEL, all lights were lit up, etc. The first time, it refused to start and stay running unless the throttle was held open. If the throttle was allowed to do what it does normally (i.e., the car was left to idle) the car stalled out.

This problem solved itself; I also had a dead battery at the time and a week later when I replaced the battery, the problem didn't repeat itself. Alternator output was tested at that time and found to be o.k.

Tonight, as I was driving home under similar circumstances, the car did the exact same thing at a low speed (again, amost a crawl, but no faster than 15 mph, as I was coming out of a left turn). The car stalled, though I did not notice until I started turning the wheel and noticed that power steering was gone. I looked at the guages and, of course, all the lights were lit up, my stereo was still blasting, etc. The car was on an incline, so I rolled to the side of the road to a slow stop, which took about 6 minutes. I then started the car, and it fired right up. (I am boosted now, btw, whereas before when this happened I was not.) One of the first things I did upon starting and getting the car moving was to take the car up to about 2000 rpm- when I let off the throttle, my rpms dropped to almost 200 rpm, and rebounded back to about 1000. I am an auto, BTW... so if you want to flame me, don't bother about disengaging the clutch wrong ...

What the HELL is going on?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 PM

Update

I pulled the following codes from the ECU (99 Cali-spec auto)

P1165 Swirl Control Valve Control Vacuum Check Switch (only for California)
P1130 Swirl Control Valve Control Solenoid Valve (only for California)
P1105 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)/ Barometric Pressure (BARO) Switch Solenoid Valve

I am still not sure why this would have caused the same set of symptoms both times, though I admit didn't check codes the first time and the lack of a battery may have cleared the codes, if any, the first time.

I think the third is directly related to the fact that I am boosted... so for now I will ignore it.

Any ideas?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Second update...

The condition occurs when I get on the throttle, take it up really quickly and get off of it without any delay. In other words, when the throttle isn't partly released but TOTALLY released, the rpms drop to nothing and the car stalls out. Sort of like taking a car with a manual transmission, putting it into first gear, and letting out the clutch REALLY fast.

Anyone got any ideas?