4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axle play... Diff bearing problem for sure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Axle play... Diff bearing problem for sure?

My driver's side axle has a small amount of play to it when I push on it where it goes into the transmission (it was fine about a month and a half ago). There is no tranny fluid leak from either axle seal yet.

If my differential bearings are on the way out again, this will be the FOURTH time in a row that I've had a transmission in this damn car that wouldn't even go 8 months without having that failure. The first two were clearly my fault (junkyard mystery trannies) and the third was clearly just a botched rebuild job, but I was really hoping to have gotten it right this time. Can someone PLEASE tell me there is at least some possibility that this could be ANYTHING but diff bearings?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Dont push it in and out, that way will have play anyway because of the circlip. Insted move it up and down or front to back, youll know for sure that way.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:58 PM

That's what I did. There seems to be play up and down, and forward and back. Didn't even try in and out...

Also, at low throttle positions I'm getting some somewhat strange noises that kind of sound like gear rattle. I remember that my last tranny, which had some very serious issues, gave a similar noise as it was going out, except it also gave a soft "thunk" every time I got on or off the gas. I'm not getting that thunk with this tranny. I don't think I'm getting that roaring/skateboarding noise either, although I might be getting it without being able to distinguish it from road or wind noise...

I did siphon out some gear oil today and didn't find any metal flecks or anything. It's just dark, as can be expected when it's been in for a few thousand miles.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Bump... Anyone?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:56 AM

if it pushes inside the axle is bad.. i had a couple do that when they were broken... thank you autozone for lifetime warranty
Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I support for what?

If you are getting any type of movement(up and down and side to side) at the trans housing where the axle slides in it is definately diff bearings. The problem seems small right now as you say there is no leaks. It will just get worse as time progresses.

Also you say that it has been done 3 other times. The one time that the trans was rebuilt was the bearings shimmed? If they werent shimmed and they were replaced with the original shims then yes you will experience the problem over and over again. Having the bearings shimmed properly allows no play in the bearings
Old 12-04-2006, 01:46 PM

Like I said, the first two trannies were just mystery trannies from junkyards (i.e. not rebuilds). The third was a rebuilt one from a company that claimed to be very careful about shimming bearings and backed their rebuild with a 12-month unlimited mileage warranty. This one was rebuilt by a member on these forums -- someone who really, really seems to know what he's talking about. I guess I'll try to get in touch with him and see what he says...

Is there absolutely no way whatsoever that this could be an axle issue?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:51 PM

did u even read my post? yea it could be the axle.. i had the same thing happen on 2 seperate cars.. one on a 93 thurnderbird on the other on the max... there can be movement there because its they way that they axles are build i had a on break right at the flex joint.... chekc that first and see what happens...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:10 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

When you push on the part of the axle that is going into the trans and there is play up and down its most likely your diff bearing. If you want to know for sure just keep driving. It will eventually start leaking or clicking when you are gassing it in a turn or both. Just keep driving, youll know for sure soon enough.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM

If it does turn out to be the axle, am I risking damage to the tranny if I don't replace it soon?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:27 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Couldnt say, but i dont see how it could be the axle. The end of the axle where it goes into the trans, that whole piece is completely solid and if its moving, its because the diff is moving.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:02 PM

just replace the axle..... if it aint it return it
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Maintenance Monster

You can try this:
pull the drivers side axle (I assume this is the one that you see some play).

Now unbolt the bearing housing of the passenger axle, so that it's able to be moved around some. (of course be careful you don't pull the CVs apart)

Wiggle/push/pull the passenger axle while someone else watches the diff through the drivers' end. If you see it moving at all, the play is in the bearings. If it doesn't move, it suggests the play is between the driver's axle and diff. If you have a dial indicator, mount the indicator to the tranny, pull the axle seal, and indicate against the diff directly. It should not move at all.

Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
You can try this:
pull the drivers side axle (I assume this is the one that you see some play).

Now unbolt the bearing housing of the passenger axle, so that it's able to be moved around some. (of course be careful you don't pull the CVs apart)

Wiggle/push/pull the passenger axle while someone else watches the diff through the drivers' end. If you see it moving at all, the play is in the bearings. If it doesn't move, it suggests the play is between the driver's axle and diff. If you have a dial indicator, mount the indicator to the tranny, pull the axle seal, and indicate against the diff directly. It should not move at all.

Dave
That's very good advice, I hadn't thought of that.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 AM

UPDATE:

Got a little more help from dgeesaman checking the diff, and it seems fine. The tiny amount of play I'm getting in the driver's side axle is easily attributable to play between gears in the diff, rather than the bearings.

One thing I did find was that the carrier bearing on my passenger's side axle had some play in it -- not just wobble play as it's supposed to have, but sliding play as well. That goes a long way toward explaining the noise I was getting, which is what prompted me to check for play in the axles in the first place.

FWIW....
Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
That's very good advice, I hadn't thought of that.
Well that idea didn't quite work, but something similar did. The problem is that you can't see squat at the passenger side axle seal without removing the crossmember or y-pipe.

So we were able to do is use a clean piece of bar (12" long 1/4" socket extension actually) and run it into the diff opening. Insert the end just past the center spider shaft and use it to pry the diff back and forth inside the tranny. If you can see or feel the bearings move at all, then there is bearing play. In our case, the diff was rock solid but the diff end gears with the splines in them moved just a tiny bit. That tiny bit of play between the end gear and diff carrier was reasonable for that type of sliding fit. In conclusion, when using the axle play check for diff bearings keep in mind that very slight play will always be present. IMHO, most people who haven't dealt with fine machined fits won't even notice it.

If you're really worried about the amount of play at the axle, also look for metal dirt and flakes in the oil, leaking at the axle seal, and pull the axle and to perform the pry test I described above.

Dave