4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my car is shaking HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM

my car is shaking HELP!

When I come to a stop, or a red light, my stearing wheel starts shaking. I just changed my plugs(NGK) last week, air filter, and gas filter. It just started doing this a couple of days ago. And the weather maybe a factor? its cold. can anyone help me out?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

I would try cleaning ur TB and MAF sensor ... see if that helps ... if that doesn't help I would suggest changing ur Engine Control Temp sensor ... located where the upper radiator hose goes into the engine ... good luck ...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM

I was thinking of cleaning my TB, and while i'm at it i'll clean my MAF sensor. If is still shakes, i'll change my Engine Control Temp sensor, didn't think of that. That helps me out alot. thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:40 PM

1) if its kind of like a surging shake, could be your coils. i know its a common problem with 99s, not sure about 98's

2) whats with the rims?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Maximaler Experte

If you search the forums on engine shake, especially on auto's, you'll see a couple of factors that can cause poor idle (which is what you're suffering).

Let me guess, acceleration is fine, just coming to a stop she's vibrating like a cheap $15 hotel room bed?

Answer the questions IN order and fix IN order:
a) Have you tried pulling codes from your ECU? (may be stored) If so, what are they? If no, goto b.
b) Are you due for a spark plug change? No, got c, etc, etc
c) Are you due for a gas filter change?
d) Have you recently cleaned your throttle body?
e) Have you recently cleaned your airfilter and MAF screen?
f) Have you run injector cleaner in your gas tank lately? (Redline recommended, or Seafoam if you don't mind pissing off neighbours)
g) Have you recently cleaned your IAC valve? (in stickies)
h) Are you hearing a strong sucking sound from the engine? (Intake manifold gasket could be sucked in - caused by plugged up PCV valve)
i) Have you recently replaced your PCV valve?
j) Does your engine shake or hesitate when accelerating? (Coil packs - but CHECK them first (search) it may be your injectors (hopefully the front row))

Resolve these questions in order. If you haven't done any of them, your car may need a little TLC and maintenance. If you have, you may have to wait for your ECU to throw the proper code.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fork
If you search the forums on engine shake, especially on auto's, you'll see a couple of factors that can cause poor idle (which is what you're suffering).

Let me guess, acceleration is fine, just coming to a stop she's vibrating like a cheap $15 hotel room bed?

Answer the questions IN order and fix IN order:
a) Have you tried pulling codes from your ECU? (may be stored) If so, what are they? If no, goto b.
b) Are you due for a spark plug change? No, got c, etc, etc
c) Are you due for a gas filter change?
d) Have you recently cleaned your throttle body?
e) Have you recently cleaned your airfilter and MAF screen?
f) Have you run injector cleaner in your gas tank lately? (Redline recommended, or Seafoam if you don't mind pissing off neighbours)
g) Have you recently cleaned your IAC valve? (in stickies)
h) Are you hearing a strong sucking sound from the engine? (Intake manifold gasket could be sucked in - caused by plugged up PCV valve)
i) Have you recently replaced your PCV valve?
j) Does your engine shake or hesitate when accelerating? (Coil packs - but CHECK them first (search) it may be your injectors (hopefully the front row))

Resolve these questions in order. If you haven't done any of them, your car may need a little TLC and maintenance. If you have, you may have to wait for your ECU to throw the proper code.
i have an auto with the same problem, and like you said i think its the idle. when coming to a stop the 2-1 downshift revs drop to 500 and everything starts to vibrate under the hood. once it comes to a complete stop and goes into a neutral state it stops, but still idles at 500. when the car is cold and idling high, everything is fine, wich is why i beleive its the idle. i have done almost everything listed above apart from IAC clean which i plan on doing tommorow along with ngk plats. if this doesnt work im going to be forced to manualy adjust the idle with the adjuster screw.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:15 PM

I am having the same problem with my car. I have some ECU codes, one is the notorious P1320 and the other was knock sensor. I replaced the knock sensor which fixed my acceleration problem, but I still have this problem that i'll be driving and my car will start shaking during idle. I think it has something to do with the P1320 code i am getting but I dont know what it is.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

Originally Posted by dshadow35
I am having the same problem with my car. I have some ECU codes, one is the notorious P1320 and the other was knock sensor. I replaced the knock sensor which fixed my acceleration problem, but I still have this problem that i'll be driving and my car will start shaking during idle. I think it has something to do with the P1320 code i am getting but I dont know what it is.

P1320 is ur coil packs you should check all of them ...
Old 12-08-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by willard00
1) if its kind of like a surging shake, could be your coils. i know its a common problem with 99s, not sure about 98's

2) whats with the rims?
the rims are lexanis, i know..there not too sporty, but thats not the look i'm goin for. dont get me wrong I love the clean sporty look of the maxima. until i get bored of these, i'll down size.

Fork, thanks for the list of possible issues, I've just change my plugs last week, but not the coils. There were a few things I havent done that you stated, like tb, and maf sensor cleaning. I think I'll try that first, and see how things go. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 PM

I am experiencing the same problem. I had a knock sensor code that needed a new one and the p1320 code. Do you have a code that tells you which cylinder it?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 AM

Did u adjust the idle speed ?