4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Someone HELP! Accerlation issues!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
The Golden One

Someone HELP! Accerlation issues!

So I'm driving along one of the main city streets in Albany yesterday...goin about ~25mph and then my lane opened up a bit so I was gona get up to the speedlimit of 40mph. Well, when the auto tranny shifted gears...it LURCHED and jerked into the next gear. Naturally...I was scared ****less. So I get to my destination....try not to worry too much...do my thing. Then I start driving again and the car is fine. So again...I park the car...go to my friends engagement party...and on the way home that night it happened again...this time it didn't let up after shutting off the car. It would shift gears at 6k and bang them so to speak. Powerwise the car still had all of it's power. So I get home...plug in my laptop with OBDII scan tool and get "P1705" and "P1705*" code...which both say "Dealer specific code". But luckily...I have an FSM and stuff so I got the code that way..."Throttle Position Sensor voltage too high or too low"...as most of you know I have a 97 parts car sitting in my driveway. I swap the TPS's, however during the swap when I was unhooking the original the part of the sensor that the plug plugs into broke off...so basically I had everything but the actual terminals still in the harness. No matter, I went to the parts car...cut what I needed off, and spliced all the wires together. There is three wires so I taped them all individually and then together. Plug everything in....start the car...idles fine.

Here is where the fun starts. I start driving...and at 2k rpm the engine starts stalling. Almost as if it hit the governor (I'm sure some of you know how that feels). So my question is...what's up?

I haven't tested the TPS's voltage yet...my brother will come over after work today with a tester...and I was told to tap the MAF to see if the idle changes...it did not. Any more ideas of what me and my brother should check? I re-checked the wiring and re-plugged everything in. I don't know what to do anymore.

Someone PLEASE help. I need my car back ASAP. I'm 40 min from school and I have finals coming up. Plleeaseee....
Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 AM
The Golden One

Anyone? Help?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 AM

did you reset the ECU after swapping the TPS?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
The Golden One

Yes I did. I drove the car after that for about 20miles. No CEL has come back on. I think I solved one problem but got another one on my hands now.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:33 AM

check for more codes.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
The Golden One

There is no more codes. 0505. I have a laptop plugged into the port. Only thing is my program doesn't do fancy stuff like voltages so I gota wait till my bro comes with his tester.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 AM
The Golden One

Any more ideas people?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 PM
The Golden One

Okay so I tested all the wires that have to do with the TPS and it seems like the TPS itself (my parts one) is also bad. So tomorrow I'm going to purchase a brand spanking new one from Nissan. I'll keep ya'll posted. If anyone has any more ideas...please offer them. Thanks guys.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM
The Golden One

New TPS...nothing changed. Anyone have any ideas? I need help.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 AM

reset ECU after putting new TPS in?

could be your coil packs too since they tend to go bad on '99 MAXIMAs, check around that too

check for play in the accelerator cables, if not wait a few days and see if another code pops up, try different fuel (I get best results from Amoco Ultimate, but I regularly fill up with Shell Premium since they are what's nearby), try manually running (check stickies) for codes (i'm not sure if your laptop will pick up a ghost code) and see if your Knock Sensor is screwing with your ECU. check your wiring since sometimes old insulation will strip itself when messed with (I found some wires bare naked after I was done cleaning out EGR tube the other day), hope that helps.

if all else fails it could just be OCD...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:25 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by Dexter
reset ECU after putting new TPS in?

could be your coil packs too since they tend to go bad on '99 MAXIMAs, check around that too

check for play in the accelerator cables, if not wait a few days and see if another code pops up, try different fuel (I get best results from Amoco Ultimate, but I regularly fill up with Shell Premium since they are what's nearby), try manually running (check stickies) for codes (i'm not sure if your laptop will pick up a ghost code) and see if your Knock Sensor is screwing with your ECU. check your wiring since sometimes old insulation will strip itself when messed with (I found some wires bare naked after I was done cleaning out EGR tube the other day), hope that helps.

if all else fails it could just be OCD...
No I didn't not reset the ECU after putting the new one in. I will do that when I go out there again. Wouldn't the coilpacks throw a code? I just changed one like a week ago. I never understood the Haynes manual part with the adjusting of the cables. I'm not sure if there is play or not. Fuel...I've been using the same station for like 3 years now. Umm and the codes I got the first time were with the PC. The PC is actually my brothers who lives elsewhere. I cleared the codes after I installed the "parts" TPS. ANd during testing yesterday my brother checked all the wires (he took a college level automotive electronics class) and they came back good. This is why we are stumped...everything checked out yesterday. The reason I got a new sensor is because all three that I had were giving different readings. This is so weird.

OCD? As in obsessive compulsive? Nah...I don't think I'm imagening this. This is real. But thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
The Golden One

So we did some more testing and this the result:

I wasted money on the TPS as it is fine (to spec) outside the car but once it's in it's spot it gets all funky. All the wires work but get the wrong signal so tomorrow I"m going try swapping my parts TCM in and see what changes. I'm almost convinced the TCM went. You guys think this is possible?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 PM

could be a bad mass air sensor
Old 12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by tbergma1
could be a bad mass air sensor
Car has been started and driven (tests) multiple times. Wouldn't a bad MAF throw a code?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Edgar

it would throw a code if it was the maf

coilpacks check em

Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
The Golden One

Car is fixed. This is what it was:

After replacing the TPS the first time around (with the parts one) I put it into the wrong position...and therefore everything got thrown off. We tested that TPS and the voltages and currents didn't meet specs so we assumed the sensor was bad. So I purchased a new TPS and installed it yesterday and we tested that on and off the car and specs were different each time...so we started looking around the car and then we figured out that it was configured/positioned incorrectly. Basically...I bought a new TPS for NO REASON. Lesson learned. If anyone ever has any questions in regards to a TPS install...I should always remember what happened so shoot me a PM or something.

I GOT MY CAR BACK! YAY!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM

congrats dude! I'm always glad to see/hear success stories!