4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Superpro Beam Axle Pivot Bushing fits A32

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Lightly modded

So....if you don't plan on installing these, would you want to mail me the beam axle with them already installed?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Damn I know but I have been really lazy lately. I haven't really worked any of my cars in the last 3-4 weeks. I finally got an air compressor so I tossed in my ES motor mounts. Thats about the extent of my wrenching in the past month. My buddy took back his torches which I planned on using to use for the trailing arm bushings. I will get to them sooner than later.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Project Ruby......

hmm I am interested in how this turns out as well. Did ES ever release the bushings?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

not for the a32, es made them for the a33
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you ever put these on? I know that on my sentra, i actually removed the superpro ones i had installed and replaced with stock because of the bind it put on that suspension.

im curious to find out how this works on the maxima.

also where in the heck did you find a superpro dealer!!! i cant seem to find one anywhere on google :/
Old 07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Conecarver

What bind? These reduce the smaller OEM rubber bushing's slop and alignment changes under cornering and even vertical suspension movement. Side to side play should all come from the lateral link, not where the ScottR bolts to the frame. I can't prove it yet but I'd think this would help a saavy driver better "feel" snap oversteer beforehand.

Try Tein channels now for SuperPro products. Chuck/Octotat is out of the loop.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
What bind? These reduce the smaller OEM rubber bushing's slop and alignment changes under cornering and even vertical suspension movement. Side to side play should all come from the lateral link, not where the ScottR bolts to the frame. I can't prove it yet but I'd think this would help a saavy driver better "feel" snap oversteer beforehand.

Try Tein channels now for SuperPro products. Chuck/Octotat is out of the loop.
The bind I was talking about was on the b13 sentra. with the front poly control arm bushings (essentially the same thing as what is mentioned in this thread), and all of the rest of the independent rear suspension control arm bushings (there are 8 total, 4 per side), the suspension binds when you compress it and will not allow the full range of motion. There is so much tension, it acts as a shock itself....providing for an unbearable and noisy ride. On that car it is best to leave the front control arm bushings stock and change the rest of them (unless you go all out and install/fab custom heim joint control arms)

But that is a sentra....I was curious how this worked on the maxima because of the different rear suspension setup with the beam that is on these cars.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I hate to say it, but no I never installed these. Ive kicked myself many of times as its been so long. I haven't worked on my max for almost a year now. Im still running winter rubber!

Funny I have full poly ES setup on the front of my A32 and full ES setup on the rear of my B13. No noises on either.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
I hate to say it, but no I never installed these. Ive kicked myself many of times as its been so long. I haven't worked on my max for almost a year now. Im still running winter rubber!

Funny I have full poly ES setup on the front of my A32 and full ES setup on the rear of my B13. No noises on either.
swap out the front control arm (the one that runs from front to rear and has the large 2.5" bushing) for a stock one and drive it around....you will immediately notice the difference.

if you still havent installed these on your max...wanna sell em?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I finally installed them. Installation was done with beam on the car. I unbolted the bottom shock bolt to let the trailing arms hang better. I had a hole saw that fit perfectly around the old bushings. After drilling them out I burned and scraped the rest of the rubber out. Much easier than when I test fit them using a torch to burn them out completely. It was still awkward working with the beam installed.

No review now, probably never will be able to give an accurate review on handling either. Ive had so many suspensions and I cant remember the last time I actually flogged it around turns with a similar setup to what I have now sans the bushings. I guess I should have done so before I installed them. I do know Id rather have the bushings over a RSB. The RSB was not a comfortable mod. For daily driving I cant tell these bushings are in.

Now I just need to install the WSP sub frame connectors Ive had for ever.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 PM

I finally installed them. Installation was done with beam on the car. I unbolted the bottom shock bolt to let the trailing arms hang better. I had a hole saw that fit perfectly around the old bushings. After drilling them out I burned and scraped the rest of the rubber out. Much easier than when I test fit them using a torch to burn them out completely. It was still awkward working with the beam installed.

No review now, probably never will be able to give an accurate review on handling either. Ive had so many suspensions and I cant remember the last time I actually flogged it around turns with a similar setup to what I have now sans the bushings. I guess I should have done so before I installed them. I do know Id rather have the bushings over a RSB. The RSB was not a comfortable mod. For daily driving I cant tell these bushings are in.

Now I just need to install the WSP sub frame connectors Ive had for ever.
Im in for a review....mine are already in the mail. You know the price on these skyrocketed to 87.00 for a set! Superpro changed/upped their prices on eveything.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Lightly modded

I'm just glad you finally installed them How long did the entire install take? Did you notice any difference in ride quality? Post up a handling review if you can at a later date....
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I didnt keep track of time, 3 hrs maybe. I must have fumbled 1/2 the time on getting out the 1st old bushing and another 1/4 on installing the it. The other side was cake. If I had to redo the whole thing it would take about an hour.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I'll put mine in after two years.

I track this car heavily so I should get a good idea what they improve on. I'm not planning on another track event this year, but I can test them out on my hometown "track".

oh and sergofast Haven't seen you around since the beam bending party in '06.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax

I track this car heavily so I should get a good idea what they improve on. I'm not planning on another track event this year, but I can test them out on my hometown "track".

I know...i disappeared off the forum for awhile. I got the itch to do stuff to the max again... how have you been?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Lightly modded

Oh god, please don't get me thinking about beam bending.....if only there was a place near me that could do it....what type of machine do people use?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by sergofast
I know...i disappeared off the forum for awhile. I got the itch to do stuff to the max again... how have you been?
Oh I see. The max has been good, full on corner balanced coilovers and R-compound tires make for a fun track car. The beam bending has helped a bit with combating understeer without the binding and poor ride quality of a RSB. I forget how it's like until I drive a non treated 4th gen. Granted the car still has a bit of understeer and always will.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Oh god, please don't get me thinking about beam bending.....if only there was a place near me that could do it....what type of machine do people use?
There was a guy named Steve that does all sorts of suspension stuff (shortened koni struts, beam bending ect) on the sr20forum. He used to live here in VA but moved out west somewhere. We got about 10 members together (from the org and the sr20forum) and he flew back and did all our cars back to back. His screen name is 98sr20ve on sr20forum.com

You cant just bend it....you have to have a special jig and know what your doing or you will ruin your beam and have to replace it.

If you can get it done...do it....it makes the max come alive!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Search the Sentra forums and see if they still do the beam bending parties. I drove all the way to Virginia beach to get mine done. You have to make the effort.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Lightly modded

So how many Maximas have their beam bent? I've never seen a real review of it being done on our cars....
Old 07-29-2009, 03:15 AM

So how many Maximas have their beam bent? I've never seen a real review of it being done on our cars....
Thats because the majority of the users here; 1. have no idea what it is, 2. dont care because they dont really drive that spirited other than in a straight line, 3. this is a mod that is only applicable to two different nissan cars - the a32 and the b14 (that I know of) 4. and if they do want it done there are only two people in the country (I know of) that can do it correctly.

Take a look over on sr20forum.com there is alot of information on it in the chassis &suspension and b14 section.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I finally got around to trying to install them tonight. I bought a 2" hole saw and cut the bushings out. Burned off all the left over rubber and I cleaned up all the metal until it was shiny, but the bushings will not pop in. I'm wondering if I missed something.

Anyways I put them in the freezer and will try again tomorrow when I have some time.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

They were a tight fit. I greased the heck out of them and used a screw driver to "shoe horn" them in.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

this is a mod that is only applicable to two different nissan cars - the a32 and the b14 (that I know of) 4.
dont forget the 99-02 G20
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Ok I got them in tonight. I used some 60 grit sandpaper to clean up the metal sleeves of any residual old bushing and then greased them up. The new bushings popped in with the help of the screwdriver and I was able to bolt the rear suspension back together. I will set the final TQ on the trailing arms when the car is back on the ground. I'm waiting for some other parts to come in and finish the work on my car. Sometime next week it should be back on the road and I will post back my results.

Even better in September I may go back to the same road course I just drove recently. The only difference in the suspension will be these bushings, so it should be a good back to back test.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 AM

I have the ES bushing on my 5 the gen and all I can say is this was an improvement over the stock marshmallow bushing.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Got the car on the road last weekend. These bushings feel a little bit better on turns and there isn't much change in the ride quality. I would say it's somewhat like having an RSB without the drawbacks. I was worried it would be to harsh but im happy with the results. However I still need to reduce the spring rate in the rear to make the rear suspension more compliant.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

RSBs are for suckers!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Lightly modded

Got the car on the road last weekend. These bushings feel a little bit better on turns and there isn't much change in the ride quality. I would say it's somewhat like having an RSB without the drawbacks. I was worried it would be to harsh but im happy with the results. However I still need to reduce the spring rate in the rear to make the rear suspension more compliant.
How long ago did you buy them? It looks like the guy on the Sentra boards no longer sells them, and can only be bought through Tein. I checked their website and # SPF1942K lists for $87......
Old 09-25-2009, 11:43 AM

RSBs are for suckers!
I though you would have said " RSB's are for Sutter. Lol
Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Went back to NJMP the other weekend with the bushings. Car felt like it had less understeer and almost neutral on corners that were giving me definite understeer with the stock bushings. However I had to replace some suspension parts up front and re-did the alignment. I wanted more front grip so camber was changed from -1.4 to -2.1 so that would also account for less understeer.

All in all it provides some improvement and I am glad these things are no longer sitting around unused in my garage.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Lightly modded

Went back to NJMP the other weekend with the bushings. Car felt like it had less understeer and almost neutral on corners that were giving me definite understeer with the stock bushings. However I had to replace some suspension parts up front and re-did the alignment. I wanted more front grip so camber was changed from -1.4 to -2.1 so that would also account for less understeer.

All in all it provides some improvement and I am glad these things are no longer sitting around unused in my garage.
I forget, is your beam bent? I'm getting my beam bent soon, and have ordered these bushings, and I'm wondering if I will need my RSB when both things are done. Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I forget, is your beam bent? I'm getting my beam bent soon, and have ordered these bushings, and I'm wondering if I will need my RSB when both things are done. Thoughts?
Put the bushings in first also check to make sure all rear suspension parts are in good condition. Then remove the RSB cause you can't have an RSB when the beam gets bent. See how the beam bending feels afterwards then you can decide on the RSB. Mine has been out since Nov '06 and I'm not putting it back on.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM

I LOVE these things! completly tightened up the rear end....PIA to install (especially with a hangover) and wasnt easy finding a suplyier but completely worth the effort!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Lightly modded

I LOVE these things! completly tightened up the rear end....PIA to install (especially with a hangover) and wasnt easy finding a suplyier but completely worth the effort!
I'm gonna be installing mine when I get the time...any tips to make the install smoother?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm gonna be installing mine when I get the time...any tips to make the install smoother?
hahahaha....dont go out drinking the night before

its fairly straight forward. do one side at a time. dont take the whole rear beam out of the car, thats alot of extra and way to much wasted time, just jack it up and remove the bolt and take the bottom bolt of the shock. if you do one side at a time you can pull it down low enough to get access of the rubber grommet that needs to be removed. start by getting a hole saw that fits right inside the metal housing. this is easier if you heat the rubber first (set it on fire and let it toast....burn the hell out f it) reason being, the hole saw gets hung up on the rubber and binds up the drill....i almost ruined the drill. when u burn it it makes the rubber brittle.

98seblackmax did something i should have thought of.....60 grit sand paper. the polly bushing will not go in if there is any of the stock bushing left. you have to get at least 98% of it out...test fit it u will see what im talking about it. what i did was get a knife and set the rubber on fire after i got the center/majority out and scrapped it out. if you could get one of these and try this http://www.lowes.com/pd_85721-1069-6...?rpp=60$No=120
Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I saw this years a couple of years ago but forgot about it until now... kinda glad its up. Last alignement I got at NTB when I did my wheel bearing about 2-3 weeks ago; they gave me the print out and told me the rear was slightly bent and I may notice a tad of pulling but not something to be super noticeable. I looked at the print out and they had it set to a 1994 Maxima instead of 95 and well as some of you know... the 89-94 have independent rear suspension which is adjustable. I'm thinking that may have been the problem why it was registering as bent.

I'm gonna go one more time but make sure they set it to 1995 and not 94, and if its still bent, I may end up pullin a whole i-beam from the JY and I'll probably sand it a bit and paint it with rustoleum black then toss on some nice lil bushings such as these. Thanks for bumpin the thread lol
Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 AM

Rust on the rear beam is ugly as sin. Sand and prime would do that ish justice. Mines looks like hell.

As old as this thread is somebody has to put up a more detailed review about these things.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by B_Eaze
Rust on the rear beam is ugly as sin. Sand and prime would do that ish justice. Mines looks like hell.

As old as this thread is somebody has to put up a more detailed review about these things.
your right. i did several other things at the same time so its hard for me to single it out. Along w the rear beam bushing i installed the superpro front caster bushings along superpro (not ES) front bolt bushings....i figured what the hell already spent a ridicules amount for the rear beam bushing and the caster bushing......might as well go ahead and do all the superpro bushings that are available. I did the front swaybar ES bushings and endlink bushings at the same time.

end results after this, my car has alot less under steer. its much more stable in the corners. the caster bushings are very noticeable especially on the highway. around the turns body roll is reduced and the rear feels more "planted". i would def recommend, fairly w easy install and all together it wasnt that expensive if you factor in that they will last you the rest of your cars lifetime....

i have KYB AGXs and Eibachs (AGX are to be replaced within the month because they are blown due to VAs fine roads....damn pot holes! i want rims but i would bust anythin in the 18, 19 rang)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by B_Eaze

Assuming you are talking about the beam I used to test fit the bushings, it was from a crashed max. I got it for free from my buddys at the body shop next to my work. Its bent from an accident. Why the hell would I paint something like that .

Plus if it wasnt for me you guys wouldnt even know this was available.

NE winters.... well you know all about them.

As for reviews, there are plenty on other forums. I dont track the car so I cant give you hard data. I dont beat the hell out of the car anymore either. When I bought the bushings in 2006 things were different. I could tell you it 'feels' tighter. I could tell you its a little 'like' having a RSB. I could tell you differences I 'think' I feel. My problem is Ive swapped suspension parts probably more than any one else on the forum. I cant give you a definite comparison before and after. I also did other things at the same time.

If you are into suspensions just do it. Its cheap, its easy. Its better than having a heavy 20 lb RSB that cost 2 to 3 times the price.

Quick Reply: Superpro Beam Axle Pivot Bushing fits A32