4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Non-Flame Post for the Ultimate Maxima Construct (IMO)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Murano drivetrain is too pricey for me right now. The AWD is rare and a wrecked one with the drivetrain in good shape is even more so. Though a transverse mounted naturally to my 35 would be excellent. I don't think the axles would align nearly as cleanly as with Axxess trans. I have not looked at the 2G Pathfinder, but I'm not very excited about modifying a truck system for the car. I do want it to perform decently and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Yes, I know a significant front bias is possible when compared to my Eclipse or the newer front-midship design. With the added weight of the diff and increased mass of the suspension / crossmember, along with my ICE hardware, Optimas, extra bracing, and the fuel cell shifted farther rearward, the inertial center should be only slightly forward of the wheelbase center, if not directly central. But I am not an engineer, just a scientist and I don't have any calculations to back me up. I do anticipate an increase of about 200-300lbs in the rear. I do not know how much the t-case will add to the front, but it should not be too significant, as it is rear of the axle plane. I will never use a solid axle on this car. I do like them in their own right (on my Datsun 1600), but not the Max.

I do not know what dampers will be used. Not a clue yet. Suggestions???

Also, the Max is very slight for the bulk of the car. The only time I had my car weighed (before the fuel cell, after the cage, no ICE, one battery, original elec. seats) My 1/4 tank wet weight was 3210lbs compared to the 2 tons of the 300C and Charger. The VQ is remarkably light and I don't feel it is that big of a detriment to the weight distribution, ESPECIALLY considering the significant mass increase in the rear. Even the driveshaft addition will help center the mass. My goal is a full tank wet weight of 3500-3600lbs complete with ICE, bodywork, and forced induction. Maybe it's a bit wishful, but I think a Pontiac GXP weight is attainable.

Lotsa learning & work ahead.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
No, a RWD sedan is not too much to ask. The problem is that, given how freakin' huge the Maxima's front overhang is and how close the front wheels are to the firewall, there'll be no way around having a hugely front-biased weight distribution and a big polar moment of inertia. Plus, no matter what you do with the rear suspension, you end up with something sub-optimal: either you do an IRS with parts from a completely different car that has entirely different characteristics (what dampers are you going to use?), or you do a solid axle and throw the sprung-to-unsprung mass ratio to the dogs.

So, what would you end up with? A ton of weight on the front end with an unsophisticated front suspension, a rear suspension that works fairly well at best, a massive polar moment of inertia... It could be better than a stock Maxima, but it's not exactly going to be a great car.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by AgaricX
Yes, I know a significant front bias is possible when compared to my Eclipse or the newer front-midship design. With the added weight of the diff and increased mass of the suspension / crossmember, along with my ICE hardware, Optimas, extra bracing, and the fuel cell shifted farther rearward, the inertial center should be only slightly forward of the wheelbase center, if not directly central. But I am not an engineer, just a scientist and I don't have any calculations to back me up. I do anticipate an increase of about 200-300lbs in the rear. I do not know how much the t-case will add to the front, but it should not be too significant, as it is rear of the axle plane.
Good points. So, your weight distribution might be okay. But don't forget, that's only part of the equation. Where the main masses are in relation to the center of gravity -- i.e. polar moment of inertia -- is at least as important as where the center of gravity is. You want the main masses to be as close to the center of the car as possible (low polar moment of inertia). Correcting a front weight bias by hanging a lot of weight off the rear end is unproductive at best.

If I were doing what you're doing, I would try to find a way to take some weight off the very front and very back of the car without compromising structural integrity. Check your PM...

I will never use a solid axle on this car. I do like them in their own right (on my Datsun 1600), but not the Max.
Good call. That will help quite a bit.

I do not know what dampers will be used. Not a clue yet. Suggestions???
I asked that question rhetorically: anything you can get off the shelf will be at best an approximate match for your car with whatever suspension you choose because no one has ever even made it, much less made dampers for it.

If you don't have access to someone who can get you custom dampers, I would suggest taking your suspension from a car of similar weight and size for which a GOOD company like Bilstein makes sport dampers. Then, fab up some custom mounting points, toss in the appropriate adjustable links for alignment correction, grab some Ground Control adjustable springs, and start dialing in your sway bars...

My goal is a full tank wet weight of 3500-3600lbs complete with ICE, bodywork, and forced induction. Maybe it's a bit wishful, but I think a Pontiac GXP weight is attainable.
Should be entirely doable.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Fr33way, where did you get the J30 -> 240 pictures? Is there a website or post with more? I have a 240 with the stock rear and having other options is wonderful. Especially if both the Max and the 240 can share geometry... with work.

Also, where did the hub picture come from. Again, are there more?

BTW, thanks! This is EXACTLY the kind of info I'm dying for. I need to take vacation and ship my wife off somewhere so my son and I can just work on my cars.
The guys on NICO seem to be pretty comfortable with the J30 rear in a 240. A guy who bought some rims from me said that they use the J30t rear for the LSD.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
This pic is HUGE but worth it.

BAM!
what years are these and why do they look slightly different?

this is very interesting and would like to see this happen.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Maxima Owner

i was thinking...being a complete rear sub-frame....with a lil bit of cutting and welding it wouldnt be too bad
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Does anyone have a good set of pictures of the Max's solid axle removed from the car complete with strut and wheel assemblies? I wan to be as educated as possible before ordering and shipping (if need be) the rear end. It's looking like my initial plan of using the J30 rear assembly is the best as of yet. If not, I'll put it on the 240 since it's been done. Hell... maybe I'll need two before its all said and done.

I should be emptying out the engine bay sometime in February to start this going. I'm anxious to get going.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Does anyone have a good set of pictures of the Max's solid axle removed from the car complete with strut and wheel assemblies? I wan to be as educated as possible before ordering and shipping (if need be) the rear end. It's looking like my initial plan of using the J30 rear assembly is the best as of yet. If not, I'll put it on the 240 since it's been done. Hell... maybe I'll need two before its all said and done.

I should be emptying out the engine bay sometime in February to start this going. I'm anxious to get going.
Remember, the J30t is a rear LSD, factory. I'd look inot that...the 240 guys run them in place of stock 240 rears.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Remember, the J30t is a rear LSD, factory. I'd look inot that...the 240 guys run them in place of stock 240 rears.
While this is true.. The viscous is pretty crappy IMO. We were gonna put it in my S13 while the4 RB swap was going on, but opted for an different LSD.

Alot of the drifters use it though because its cheap and you still get an okay lock most of the time.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Apparition
While this is true.. The viscous is pretty crappy IMO. We were gonna put it in my S13 while the4 RB swap was going on, but opted for an different LSD.

Alot of the drifters use it though because its cheap and you still get an okay lock most of the time.
What diff did you use instead? I have a S13 JDM VLSD now. I replaced the stock USDM diff before I drove it the first time. I would imagine it is comparable to the J30 diff, if not virtually identical.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Ichiban King

What diff did you use instead? I have a S13 JDM VLSD now. I replaced the stock USDM diff before I drove it the first time. I would imagine it is comparable to the J30 diff, if not virtually identical.
We used the S15 HLSD even though we had to lose the speed sensor.. We're trying to figure out whether to stay with the GPS or rig the sensor some other way..

Anyhow, the J30 diff has different gearing and is a bit heavier duty if I remember correctly.. It's considered a decent upgrade from the S13 VLSD without a hefty price tag.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Wild for Width

Member JSutter had his rear beam out recently, I think there were pics of it.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Wild for Width

Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 PM

that picture makes are suspension seem so antique comapred to the IRS in the J30. Well i guess there isnt much to it, which makes it pretty simple to service. i wonder how much of a difference a 4th gen with IRS compared to the stock multi link rear beam would make?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 AM

The beam is the only way the designers could have a half-decent suspension that is that compact (for trunk space). Having so few points of connection to the chassis also helps road noise. It's conceivable that you could have something better, but you'd have to give up those other advantages.

In general, the beam is great on smooth surfaces but an IRS is better for bumpy ones. Once it's dialed in, the IRS should also allow for much more freedom in tuning the handling of the car.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Boosted Panda

AgaricX,
A bit off topic but just curious do you have any pics of the previous setups?
Im in Austin, but originaly from College Station with family still there. I visit from time to time and Ive never really seen any heavliy modded imports there, mostly cowboys in trucks.
Do you ever come over to Austin? Id love to see some of those swapped vehicles.
Good luck with your AWD setup,if you can do it, it definately would be a cool setup.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:47 AM

I may be down in the future myself...grew up in Bryan/College Station from '82 to '92...Go AGGIES!

Jeremy
Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 PM

I do have pics of most everything. I can post pics of the GSX swap and the S15 front if ppl want. I have a few of the RB30 build and I THINK a couple of it in my S13. I have test fit pics in my S13 trash chassis for the VH45 I was going to put in there a few years ago if anybody wants them too. I decided to store the engine and put it in a late milennium Frontier whenever I find a clean cheap chassis. Unless I can shoehorn a VK56 heheheheh.

I should have pics of my classics (Z and 1600) but I don't... I'm not sure why other than I'm NEVER the one taking pics. It's always my buddies. I will take pics of the Z this weekend. We had an engine fire the day before valentines on the L28 and I need pics for insurance anyway. yuck.

The 1600 and the Fiero are in San Antonio because I simply do not have room to keep them here until we get some land or a bigger place with some parking. I never drive either because they both are too temperamental just now and I don't have time to work on all 4,000 projects I have in the air.

UPDATE: SO! I found out my wife is pregnant. The one four door car I have.... you guessed it.... needs to be put on project-hold and I need to bring it back to daily driver status in the next 6 months. That is my wife says I have to. We'll see.

Ya anyone who wants to come by and look at or work on my cars (preferably work on) go for it. I'm never home except evenings after 7 at least. Sometimes I have longer on weekends, but we usually end up doing a Friday or Saturday all nighter when we actually want to get things done.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

UPDATE: SO! I found out my wife is pregnant. The one four door car I have.... you guessed it.... needs to be put on project-hold and I need to bring it back to daily driver status in the next 6 months. That is my wife says I have to. We'll see.
First one?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:41 AM

First one with my wife. I had a son when I was a junior in High School who is 11 now. He lives with his mom in Houston.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get a G20 or Sentra instead of making the Maxima a daily again. Then I can play with another VQ35 swap. But she says I'm too obsessed with collecting Nissan/Datsuns...

Again, we'll see. I haven't started putting the Max back together yet.

Pics are coming.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM

Seems to me that it would be cheaper to just get another vehicle. I believe you said you already have a fuel cell in the car. That in itself will be an issue when the kid is born and you have to carry all the stuff you need. You're already very busy, so to try and find the time to put all that stuff back together is just creating more stress, which you already know you DON'T need.
Been there done that.
Get her an SUV and call it a day.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

First one with my wife. I had a son when I was a junior in High School who is 11 now. He lives with his mom in Houston.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get a G20 or Sentra instead of making the Maxima a daily again. Then I can play with another VQ35 swap. But she says I'm too obsessed with collecting Nissan/Datsuns...

Again, we'll see. I haven't started putting the Max back together yet.

Pics are coming.
FROM EXPERIENCE, I say don't use the Maxima (5th Gen was a PITA to get the baby seat in/out of), and for SURE don't get a B15 or P11. Unless the P11 is a LOT better than the B15, it is a losing proposition. I cannot carry a passenger AT ALL with the baby seat in the rear-facing positionin the SpecV.

Your experience may vary.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM

...bump bump...

Hows that AWD coming along?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Ichiban King

G35 or bust.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
...bump bump...

Hows that AWD coming along?
The car was rear ended about a month ago and it chewed up the unibody pretty bad. USAA totaled it and I got a check, but I kept the car. The cage saved it from fukking up the cabin, but behind the rear strut towers is a mess.

The upside is now I am 100% sure that I will be doing an AWD swap since I would have to fab the rear anyway. Now I can engineer and start from scratch. The bad news outweighs the good though. 1) I had to spend all my extra cash to buy a replacement car. I ended up getting an HHR. I wish I could have waited for the Rogue, but whatever. 2)
It's going to be absolute hell monetarily and temporally to get the car straightened out. I just bought a 1993 VR4 for $800 from a moron who didn't know what maintenance means, so I'll fix and sell it to get some $$ for the repairs, but who knows when that'll be. Maybe I'll take vacation in the next month or so.... Nothing like a college kid hitting you in the rear while talking on her cell phone to knock the wind out of your plans.

I promise I will be posting a build progress once it is really started. Right now I just have to prioritize and rebuild my cash store, while at the same time resist spending money on my Fiero or 240 Roadster.

Fuking college town dipsh1t drivers....
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Boosted Panda

Fuking college town dipsh1t drivers....

Gig 'Em.........
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Nothing like a college kid hitting you in the rear while talking on her cell phone to knock the wind out of your plans.
Not... in... OT....

Must... resist... posting... obvious... response...
Old 05-31-2007, 01:27 PM
i has college

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Not... in... OT....

Must... resist... posting... obvious... response...
Don't worry, we all thought the same thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I just bought a 1993 VR4 for $800 from a moron who didn't know what maintenance means, so I'll fix and sell it to get some $$ for the repairs, but who knows when that'll be.
Hell, I'd fix that and drive it over putting in the serious time/effort to do the RWD conversion on the A32...

Just my thoughts.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Hell, I'd fix that and drive it over putting in the serious time/effort to do the RWD conversion on the A32...

Just my thoughts.

the VR4 is an awesome car.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44 AM

I have had a VR4 before and it's a great car... but I really don't like it very much in comparison to any of my others. Sure its super-sexy, but I'd rather drive my wife's AWD Spyder than the VR4. It puts down more ponies, is convertible, and is much easier to work on. If I wanted a GT I'd already have a VR4 Spyder. I just don't want a 2 ton+ car. They aren't the most fun to drive. I'd rather drive my 2600lb RWD mid-engined Fiero.

With the $4500 I'll make off selling the car, I can finish the body work on my 240 Roadster and fix most if not all of the Max. It's not about having an AWD car. It's about having a unique car. VR4s aren't unique. They were over-tech'd and are a PITA to work on and maintain. I'd rather have my old FD back than my VR4... and it was a REAL pain in my ***. And I'd rather have my buddy's 300ZX 2+2 than both.

But that's not to say that I won't drive the **** out of it before I sell it. I'll take it to Texas World Speedway and lap it a few times for fun at least. Fun car. Sexy car. Not worth keeping though. Have you ever really done maintenance repeatedly on that thing? Mitsu was retarded in the engine bay. The Eclipse WAS that way until I replaced almost every factory part.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM

ummmm what???

How bout this I drive to ova there u just hook my car up for free since ur ballin and I drive back and then u can start a new project???

Naw but really good luck wit this I would if I knew about anything ur talkin bout but it sounds like a crazy and good idea....

Hope it works give me ur spare parts lol....

Post pics when finished
Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I have had a VR4 before and it's a great car... but I really don't like it very much in comparison to any of my others. Sure its super-sexy, but I'd rather drive my wife's AWD Spyder than the VR4. It puts down more ponies, is convertible, and is much easier to work on. If I wanted a GT I'd already have a VR4 Spyder. I just don't want a 2 ton+ car. They aren't the most fun to drive. I'd rather drive my 2600lb RWD mid-engined Fiero.

With the $4500 I'll make off selling the car, I can finish the body work on my 240 Roadster and fix most if not all of the Max. It's not about having an AWD car. It's about having a unique car. VR4s aren't unique. They were over-tech'd and are a PITA to work on and maintain. I'd rather have my old FD back than my VR4... and it was a REAL pain in my ***. And I'd rather have my buddy's 300ZX 2+2 than both.

But that's not to say that I won't drive the **** out of it before I sell it. I'll take it to Texas World Speedway and lap it a few times for fun at least. Fun car. Sexy car. Not worth keeping though. Have you ever really done maintenance repeatedly on that thing? Mitsu was retarded in the engine bay. The Eclipse WAS that way until I replaced almost every factory part.
Well, in YOUR position, it is all about driving what you want- not what is most practical. Some day I hope to be in a similar situation, vehicle-wise.

I was just offering my observation, but I have never owned a VR4, and obviously you have- so you have a much better vantage point regarding whether it is the right car for your situation.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Ichiban King

I've seen thew engine bays of the 300zx, FD and the VR4 and they all pretty much suck as far as concern to working on them. Infact most of them you cannot even get a hand alongside the engine (some guy on youtube poured a bucket of golf ***** into the zx engine bay and I think only two out of 50 fell out lmao).

All neat cars, yet the only one I'd personally own would be the 300zx.

So I agree.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM

The FD isn't bad at all as far as engine bay access. Even with a 3 rotor (which I did not have) the bay is pretty uncluttered. It's just the oil consumption and maintenance that got me on that. After blowing my apex seal I decided to let it go.

The 300ZX bay is very crammed, but the engine is longitudinal. Turbo access is much, much easier and the VG is a beast. But not only did Mitsubishi to put in 6G72, arguably inferior to the VQ, VG, RB (pick a Nissan 6cyl) IMHO, but they put it in transversely. C'mon. At least the NSX had a reason to have a transverse mounting. It makes it insane to even swap out spark plugs (remove intake manifold!).

BTW - Does anyone want a 1992 (not 1993) 3000GT VR4 Black in great shape for ~$5500? 125k miles! I repaired the 3rd gear synchro, drivers window motor, new starter, new battery, checked turbos (great shape). No leaks, cold AC. Blitz BOV, aftermarket mufflers (saved 75lbs and sounds much better), average interior.