4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Who Has 20's On Thier Ride??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 PM

here's my reasoning behind not making the grocery getter a quicker grocery getter, spend the money on something better. not one of you can tell me there is not another car on the road you would rather have than your 4G max. . . . and can afford. i mean yeah i did some exhaust work and put CAI (whop-di-******-doo) and did some lighting changes but i'm just in this car for while til i save for something better and i gotta make it look good for now. the max is quick, form the factory it's quick, i guess that's why everyone wants to make it quicker, but it will never be super quick. i mean you throw a SC in a max and what's it run, maybe 13s if you can really drive. not that impressive. that's just me.

these rims are going on my next car, if i don't trade them. i'm not sayin if you don't mount on DUBS you ain't **** or whatev, i think a lowered max with some 18s is hot and what i wanted at one time, but not what i ended up gettin. so yeah to each their own and whatnot, but puttin more than a couple hundred into a max for performance is lame. hate me or agree with me, i don't really care
Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM

20's on a max.......... =(
Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 PM

well I didn't really want to post in here at all but after reading I hate how its always a battle on everything. Everything in here is argued about. Fact is that it's your car. If you want dubs then put them on. Don't ask here cost it will only start battles between the dub rollers, and the performance goers. If you want to ever have performance or good gas mileage I would say don't bother with 20's. Money can be well spent elsewhere. Some guys on here (RyanTaylorClark, lil_Jay22) thier cars don't look too bad with them. I would notice right away but they look ok. Most maxs' do look like **** with 20's because guys don't put proper suspension on the car. So even if you like the 20's you get, to everyone around can see how awful they look on your car. Rims arn't a 1 step process. Suspension needs to be done first then the rims. But so many people think that with big rims their cars look cooler and people think they look cooler. I've never heard anyone say anythign positive about a car with big rims and no drop. Anyways, I think that people should really stop posting threads about what they should do with their cars. All you're doing is trying to impress everyone. Do you car the way you want it. Know what the pros and cons are of the mods you do and make up your own mind.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I feel like its your car and do what you want. What one person likes another wont like. If you want to put 20"s on your car do it, its your car.

Dubs were never meant to be put on any car specifically, so to specify they shouldnt be on a Maxima isnt that valid. We are all used to seeing it on a specific type of car but that doesnt mean that it should only be on that type.

Some feel the Maxima shouldnt even get performance upgrades, its just a family car, yet we fit turbo chargers, bigger injector, and throw the car down the 1/4 mile as fast as we can.

To each his/her own.
agree
Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Reppin' the 216

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Ahahahhahaha. That's the most hideous Max I've seen. Never even knew a Max could look like that. Seriously. What is wrong with some people...?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
well I didn't really want to post in here at all but after reading I hate how its always a battle on everything. Everything in here is argued about. Fact is that it's your car. If you want dubs then put them on. Don't ask here cost it will only start battles between the dub rollers, and the performance goers. If you want to ever have performance or good gas mileage I would say don't bother with 20's. Money can be well spent elsewhere. Some guys on here (RyanTaylorClark, lil_Jay22) thier cars don't look too bad with them. I would notice right away but they look ok. Most maxs' do look like **** with 20's because guys don't put proper suspension on the car. So even if you like the 20's you get, to everyone around can see how awful they look on your car. Rims arn't a 1 step process. Suspension needs to be done first then the rims. But so many people think that with big rims their cars look cooler and people think they look cooler. I've never heard anyone say anythign positive about a car with big rims and no drop. Anyways, I think that people should really stop posting threads about what they should do with their cars. All you're doing is trying to impress everyone. Do you car the way you want it. Know what the pros and cons are of the mods you do and make up your own mind.
well said. i did what i want, but try not to impose my ideas on people, but when they ask for opinions i'm willing to share and he obviosly was curious so i posted. i'm not tryin to tell ppl how to think, im just tellin how i think. everyone has different views. there are a lot of ppl and the number is growing so maybe it's a trend but so is "ricing" a car or tuning it ( and yes there is a difference)
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM

oh yeah and laflyer23 i have 8.5" wide wheels and no rub. your wheels bein 9" wide might a little on full turns, but 4g wheel opening is a gaping hole so you might still be lucky. i think the coilover idea is awesome if you can afford it, the variable adjustments will be killer with the big wheels. there is definitely room for a slight drop though
Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Xtr3m3X
Ahahahhahaha. That's the most hideous Max I've seen. Never even knew a Max could look like that. Seriously. What is wrong with some people...?
I dont think that picture is real
Old 02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by jattdemax
I got 20's and im tired of ppl on the org sayin it's not the thing to do with the maxima, even though people around here love it. I love car just as much as the next person. I like 20's on my ride. I love it. Someone might have a 3.5 motor swap, make it as fast as you can, its what you want, and I'm not gonna hate on them. More power to you. I've put alot of time and money into my car, just like many of us org-ers. I'm sure most of our mothers have taught us, "if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothing at all." Appreciate the work people, encourage your fellow org members.
Know what the difference is?

A performance mod improves something about your car, and you can feel it every time you drive.

Huge rims hurt EVERYTHING you feel when you drive -- ride quality, handling, braking, fuel economy, acceleration, and even wear and tear -- and for what? So you can turn a few heads, half of which are wondering what the hell you were thinking?

For my part, I don't really care how other peoples' cars look. But if someone posts here asking for opinions on something that makes his car suck at most of what it does, I'm going to chime in and tell him that I think he's made a mistake. And if that mistake affects how safe he is to other drivers -- e.g. by hurting his ability to stop or swerve -- then I'm going to tell him strongly.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:28 PM
VQ35 FTW

Originally Posted by chillin014
he probably needs pictures of them on a maxima, not a skyline....
ahahaha the aerodynamics from that wing counter balance the weight of 20's haha
Old 02-08-2007, 10:34 PM
VQ35 FTW

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Know what the difference is?

A performance mod improves something about your car, and you can feel it every time you drive.

Huge rims hurt EVERYTHING you feel when you drive -- ride quality, handling, braking, fuel economy, acceleration, and even wear and tear -- and for what? So you can turn a few heads, half of which are wondering what the hell you were thinking?

For my part, I don't really care how other peoples' cars look. But if someone posts here asking for opinions on something that makes his car suck at most of what it does, I'm going to chime in and tell him that I think he's made a mistake. And if that mistake affects how safe he is to other drivers -- e.g. by hurting his ability to stop or swerve -- then I'm going to tell him strongly.
on that. I totally agree with you
Old 02-08-2007, 10:41 PM

i dont understand why people get rims that are worth 1/2 of their cars value is all.. id rather spend that on other ****...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 AM

The same reason others spend 1/2 or more than the value of their car on s/c's, turbos and other stuff. Because they WANT to.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
The same reason others spend 1/2 or more than the value of their car on s/c's, turbos and other stuff. Because they WANT to.
Thank you.

Had this been a thread asking about peoples opinions about 20"s on a Maxima, then a lot of statements are valid and welcomed. The OP was just asking who had 20"s on their car. Some want to put big wheels, some want to put big turbos, some want to keep stock bose, some want to put JBL's in their car.

Some like 20"s on a Max, some dont. I think RicoSuave98's car is looking great with the 20"s add like an 1" or 1.5" drop and a kit, I think a lot of peoples comments would change.

Again, to each his/her own. Its not your car so why do you care so much (general statement)
Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by RicoSuave98
here's my reasoning behind not making the grocery getter a quicker grocery getter, spend the money on something better. not one of you can tell me there is not another car on the road you would rather have than your 4G max. . . . and can afford. i mean yeah i did some exhaust work and put CAI (whop-di-******-doo) and did some lighting changes but i'm just in this car for while til i save for something better and i gotta make it look good for now. the max is quick, form the factory it's quick, i guess that's why everyone wants to make it quicker, but it will never be super quick. i mean you throw a SC in a max and what's it run, maybe 13s if you can really drive. not that impressive. that's just me.

these rims are going on my next car, if i don't trade them. i'm not sayin if you don't mount on DUBS you ain't **** or whatev, i think a lowered max with some 18s is hot and what i wanted at one time, but not what i ended up gettin. so yeah to each their own and whatnot, but puttin more than a couple hundred into a max for performance is lame. hate me or agree with me, i don't really care
yea you will run 13s on the stock 5-6 psi it comes with.Then you have many more different pulleys to get to make the car run lower then 13s.I dunno imo like you say haven a "grocery getter" when you make that thing fast and your next to a suposidly REAL sports car like a vett or a stang or whatever you consider a sports car and you blow the doors off of them its a little more exciting then riding on 20's.Just my 2cents
Old 02-09-2007, 08:01 AM

different folks for different folks.

Its the classic battle of Show vs Go.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 AM

lol yea you right
Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
different strokes for different folks.
Fixed.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by laflyer23
I was wondering if anyone has 20 inch wheels on their ride. I want to see if anyone has pictures and if anyone could give me advise on how their setup is. I want to lower the car with coilovers but i dont think i can with the 20's. So thanks for the help inadvance.
i didnt know he asked for opinions on how 20's would suck. i

guess they suck just as much as some stupid kid that s/c or t/c his stock maxima with stock brakes and stock 1/2 bald tires and can't stop, so he plows into 4 cars and a tree. or someone who just wants to be cool and have a 3.5 but doesnt upgrade the brakes.

or someone decides to put hid's from another car into a housing that isnt designed to have hid's in it, blinding oncomming traffic and causing accidents.

what's funny is that no one thats into "show" mods goes into perfornance threads and says negative comments about it, but as soon as someone says something about wheels, all hell breaks loose.

i've had 20's on my max for a while now, it's a little slower, but not anything i would cry about, and nothing a CAI and an exhaust wouldnt fix. it brakes the same, and only when i had to replace my brakes did i upgrade to my c/d slotted brembos and axxis pads.

go back to your threads
Old 02-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i didnt know he asked for opinions on how 20's would suck. i

it's a little slower, but not anything i would cry about, and nothing a CAI and an exhaust wouldnt fix. threads
yea ok.. i had 17's from a cobra on the car barely moved... so ur 20's i think are a little bit worse.....
Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
yea ok.. i had 17's from a cobra on the car barely moved... so ur 20's i think are a little bit worse.....
maybe your ferrari needs a tune up. my 4 door family car doesnt need to be any faster.

let the pissin contest begin
Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 PM

As you can tell, I have a 99 I30. When I got it from the dealer in Nov. it had 15'' stock rims. I have a limited and was pissed when I found out that It comes stock 16. That's a four inch loss. Of coarse I did some research on the car and found that it had 20's on it at some point. When it was traded. Anyways to my point. 20x7 will fit the car with a 35 series tire. We all know this. If you have a 45 min ride to and from work on a major hwy, best bet go with something smaller. I still have my dinky 15's on the car, that's because we in the middle of a very mild New England winter. Come April. 18's all day with 45 series tires. I am still haveing issues of wich rims I am going with. BBS style, fat five stars, thin five stars, or something with a lip... DONT KNOW. Still got a couple of months to figure it out.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM

i didnt know he asked for opinions on how 20's would suck.
Actually, he did ask for advice here:
I want to see if anyone has pictures and if anyone could give me advise on how their setup is.
...but who's counting.

If you'll notice, I never actually responded to him. I was responding to jattdemax's comment about people getting flamed about huge rims.

i guess they suck just as much as some stupid kid that s/c or t/c his stock maxima with stock brakes and stock 1/2 bald tires and can't stop, so he plows into 4 cars and a tree. or someone who just wants to be cool and have a 3.5 but doesnt upgrade the brakes.

or someone decides to put hid's from another car into a housing that isnt designed to have hid's in it, blinding oncomming traffic and causing accidents.
Pretty much. I mean, maybe they suck slightly more, but whatever does it for you...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by I30FlyHigh
When I got it from the dealer in Nov. it had 15'' stock rims. I have a limited and was pissed when I found out that It comes stock 16. That's a four inch loss.

Quoted for posterity...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM

no maxima should have 20 inch rims..
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 PM

performance loss? my wheels are not even an inch bigger than the radius of the stock 15"s with meaty tires, yeah i'm basically ridin on rubber bands, but i love it. my speedo still reads true up to 90. the 20''s dont' weigh that much more than stock, i've never actually weighed them, but i really could care less. the only reason i would is to prove something here and it's not worth the effort. and the best part is my gas milage isn't hurt at all. i got avg 21 mpg all summer last year, the same i'm gettin right now on winter tires. **** most ppl don't even get that if they tried with all their heart.

this post was initially intended to clear up some questions someone, i don't even remember who, had about 20"s they already had. i'm pretty much the only one that has even attempted to answer or help the dude while trying to stick up for the "sin of puttin on twennies"
Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=d00df00d]Actually, he did ask for advice here:
Quote:
I want to see if anyone has pictures and if anyone could give me advise on how their setup is.
...but who's counting.

If you'll notice, I never actually responded to him. I was responding to jattdemax's comment about people getting flamed about huge rims.

you forgot to read the underlined part(i underlined it in case you read this too fast and try to make another irrelevant point. if you had looked past the "putting 20's, therefore i must hate on a maxima brotha" part, you would have realized he was looking for advice on how to properly setup his suspension to install 20's on his car, not whether you and your gay performance mods approve. so please, until you flame someone in a 3.5 swap/s/c thread for not upgrading their brakes, stop posting your opinions on wheel threads.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM

ricosuave98, your rims look tight. as for shavedmax, you are my idol. lol people please stop hating. Back to the origanal question, i got 20's on my 98 max, and I have no problems with them. I'm in the process of a new suspension. I got my springs, waiting til my struts come it.I got tein h-tech springs, and getting tokico blues. Hopefully this will be a good set up.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 PM

20's sound great, especially if you got like a 1.5, 1.3 drop
Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 9maxima6
no maxima should have 20 inch rims..

y not?????????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 PM

you forgot to read the underlined part(i underlined it in case you read this too fast and try to make another irrelevant point. if you had looked past the "putting 20's, therefore i must hate on a maxima brotha" part, you would have realized he was looking for advice on how to properly setup his suspension to install 20's on his car, not whether you and your gay performance mods approve. so please, until you flame someone in a 3.5 swap/s/c thread for not upgrading their brakes, stop posting your opinions on wheel threads.
Cool. So, by the same logic, you're going to go flame everyone else who posted their opinions about 20" rims, right?

Better do it quick. RicoSuave98's gas mileage is distracting us from helping the OP set up his suspension for his new wheels.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
y not?????????????????????????????????????????

Because it looks rediculous. Is there a need for 20's ? It's not gonna do anything but weigh down the car and kill the performance..
Old 02-10-2007, 05:24 AM

Cool. So, by the same logic, you're going to go flame everyone else who posted their opinions about 20" rims, right?

Better do it quick. RicoSuave98's gas mileage is distracting us from helping the OP set up his suspension for his new wheels.
you and ferari man were just the easiest targets/ wrote the most, but yes, in the past i have flamed on everyone else that's had negative opinions on something they could care less about. like i said, you dont see any "show" mod guys going into a performance thread and talk **** there, so the same should be extended this way, but it doesnt happen.

on the subject though................

my driver's side tire rubs on the back of the skirt on turns. that's the only problem i've had and the car is still on the stock suspension. soon i'll have my hydraulics installed, which will present more rubbing issues, but the height will be adjustable, so it doesnt matter. as far as a drop and the 20's , i think maximagirl(not brooke) has 20's and either coil overs or some sort of drop and i dont think she has rubbing issues. once you drop it make sure you get some camber bolts to minimize the wear on your tires.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jattdemax
ricosuave98, your rims look tight. as for shavedmax, you are my idol. lol people please stop hating. Back to the origanal question, i got 20's on my 98 max, and I have no problems with them. I'm in the process of a new suspension. I got my springs, waiting til my struts come it.I got tein h-tech springs, and getting tokico blues. Hopefully this will be a good set up.
from what I hear, no its not a good setup. Riding on 20's with tokico blues and h-techs will be pretty harsh.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 AM

shavedmax, arent you alreast lowered?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
from what I hear, no its not a good setup. Riding on 20's with tokico blues and h-techs will be pretty harsh.
yea? what would be abetter set up? I just want the stock feel, dont need performace.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Fixed.
thanks
Originally Posted by IBallNC
there is alot of hating on maxima.org... wow
sadly its not that new.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 9maxima6
Because it looks rediculous. Is there a need for 20's ? It's not gonna do anything but weigh down the car and kill the performance..
there is not need for 20's on any car, but you still see it on chevy's, buicks, etc. Even some 5th gens run 20's easily, and it looks great! No one says anything when its on a 5th gen. No one says anything about the chevy on 24's, or the 300C on 22's

there is no "need" for a lot of stuff that is done to car, a but why is it done anyway? because someone wants to.

this thread is going to be a never ending with no resolution.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally no maxima other than a 6th gen should have 20's on them. They look good on the 6th gen's. I guess one thing we have to remember is that not everyone is going for performance mods on here. There are others who just want the look, nothing wrong with that... to each his own. The 20's on a 4th gen to me is too big. Ive seen 18's and 19's, but there is just something about 20's that doesnt look too good to me on a 4th gen. If you want them buy them.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

alot of people dont like 20's on a 5th gen... search the site

But i agree, this thread is going nowhere. if you want 20's get 20's...if you want to mod your car with engine upgrades. do you... we all drive maximas or have love for them. thats why i joined this forum because i wanted to see other peoples creativity, not hate on them because i dont agree on what size of rims they got. i might not agree but i still respect the fact that they love their car enuf to put that type of money into it.

Quick Reply: Who Has 20's On Thier Ride??