4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 AM

Squeaking?

Curious if anyone's had this situation before, but I can't place the problem as of yet. In a nut shell, my car's been making a weird squeaking noise lately. Of course first thing I thought of would be the suspension (hard to say but for the most part it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car), it seems that when I drive over a bump it squeaks and then nothing, no sound again.

BUT also I noticed when I throttle up to around 55 mph, no sound; I get to 60, it squeaks like it's either spinning (it sounds like a belt) then after I get to 70, no sound again.

Very weird, gonna take it to the shop later this week anyways for a tune-up, just curious if anyone's ever encountered this before, or if anyone has an idea what it could be, i'm guessing either my suspension or possibly a belt?

Old 02-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the back of my car squeeks... after it was hit...
Old 02-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pho3nix
Curious if anyone's had this situation before, but I can't place the problem as of yet. In a nut shell, my car's been making a weird squeaking noise lately. Of course first thing I thought of would be the suspension (hard to say but for the most part it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car), it seems that when I drive over a bump it squeaks and then nothing, no sound again.

BUT also I noticed when I throttle up to around 55 mph, no sound; I get to 60, it squeaks like it's either spinning (it sounds like a belt) then after I get to 70, no sound again.

Very weird, gonna take it to the shop later this week anyways for a tune-up, just curious if anyone's ever encountered this before, or if anyone has an idea what it could be, i'm guessing either my suspension or possibly a belt?

Just a thought, I ran into this and it was hard to find, the squeaking in my 97 max was when there was hard accel, from the front right, first thought was belts, turned out to be the crank pulley as it is 2 pieces, with a bonding/rubber agent between the two pieces of this unit, replaced pulley , no more squeal, failure of the crank pulley is documented on this site, with complete failure of the unit, displaying the result of separation of the two parts completely, Hope I am making this clear.........may or may not be related to your problem.