4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

blue dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 05:37 PM

Anyone replaced their stock dash lights with blue ones? If so, how did you do it?
Old 07-05-2001, 06:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes.

Go to

http://www.geocities.com/amixam69/nissan/dash/

and

http://www.maximadriver.com in the How2 section.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:10 PM

yes, all gauge lights blue, all of the door switch lights with blue LED's, stock security light blue and the light next to the shifter
Old 07-11-2001, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Yes.

Go to

http://www.geocities.com/amixam69/nissan/dash/

and

http://www.maximadriver.com in the How2 section.
Do you know the bulb number (e.g., H3 for fogs) for the bulbs in gauge cluster? Can you buy other color bulbs, or is paint needed to obtain another color??

thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:17 AM

They're #194's... you should be able to get different colored ones at any car hookup store.

Originally posted by j_bryan
Do you know the bulb number (e.g., H3 for fogs) for the bulbs in gauge cluster? Can you buy other color bulbs, or is paint needed to obtain another color??

thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:20 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I did mine all red, pics on my homepage.

Old 07-12-2001, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by ny96maxse
yes, all gauge lights blue, all of the door switch lights with blue LED's, stock security light blue and the light next to the shifter
This is kinda unrelated to the thread, but I noticed you have 85w H3's. How long have you been running them? Has your fog lamp housing been damaged? Did you get a wire harness for the fogs?

I, too have 85w H3's but when I uninstalled them since they ran much hotter than the stock 55w H3s.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:49 AM
I aim to misbehave.

www.autodynamic.com has some, I bought mine from there. It was weird, though, I bought 5 blue bulbs and 2 of them were a different color from the other 3. It ended up looking cool, but I'm not sure why they were different. I sent an email to autodynamic but they never responded.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Speebs
www.autodynamic.com has some, I bought mine from there. It was weird, though, I bought 5 blue bulbs and 2 of them were a different color from the other 3. It ended up looking cool, but I'm not sure why they were different. I sent an email to autodynamic but they never responded.
Thanks a lot! Do you have any pics of the gauge cluster? How does the blue light look when compared to the stock: avg, good, sweeet!?
Old 07-12-2001, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
I did mine all red, pics on my homepage.

i really wana do this. that way i wont have to get indigo gauges. is this pretty tough? can a lot go wrong? thanks.
Old 07-12-2001, 12:02 PM
Licensed to Spell

Hey Guys..

...what I have always wanted to do was brighten up the stock pale color (ex. P/window switches, instrument cluster, etc.) to the brighter color of the clock, electronic climate control, etc. Is it possible for an exact match? If yes, what color would I need for the light bulbs? Also, I have not heard of anyone changing the light bulbs in the radio out. Is this possible? Once again, I would like to match the radios pale buttons to its bright display. Possible?? Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2001, 12:27 PM
I aim to misbehave.

I don't have any pics, since I don't have a digital camera and I'm way too lazy to do it the old-fashioned way. The problem with blue lights is that they are by nature less bright.. the three darker bulbs I got are not bright enough to see easily at a glance IMO, but the lighter blue ones are. Red is much easier to see, but I personally can't stand red and like blue much better. The removal of the guage cluster is pretty easy as long as you make sure to be forceful but GENTLE when removing the plastic trim in front of the cluster, to avoid losing the ever-important black metal clips that keep it from moving around and rattling. You can get replacement clips but I hear they're expensive. I need like 600 of them because they come off rather easily if you're not careful. The web site mentioned previously is a really good tutorial for taking out the cluster. For some reason, though, it tells you to take off the dash pieces under the cluster and steering column, which you just plain don't need to do. Otherwise it's great.. clear instructions, pictures, and everything.

Back to the lights... I find that my cluster is less visible in low-light situations, like around dusk or when it's cloudy. But when it gets darker, it's visible enough for me to tell at a glance. This is all due to the lesser brightness of the dark blue bulbs.

The OEM bulbs behind the cluster have diffusing plastic on them that turn the yellow incandescent light into "white" light, which I find much better for the step lights, trunk light, and anything else that uses a 194 bulb. I just think it's a lot easier to see with white light instead of yellow incandescent light.

There are five bulbs behind the guage:

1 behind the fuel guage
2 behind the speedometer (each lights up half of the speedometer, in additiont to providing light for odometer and tripodometer)
1 behind the left side of the tachometer
1 behind the right side of tachometer (illuminates right half of tachometer and also temperature guage)

You can also replace the 194 bulb that's under the shifter in an automatic. I think blue or red looks nice here. Just pry up the plastic trim around the shifter with your fingers (there are 2 clips to release toward the front of the car, and 2 toward the rear), disconnect the plug that goes to the cigarette lighter, rotate the trim to the side and pull it over the shifter to remove it. This part is kind of tricky, as you can't really get under the shifter without removing lots of stuff. I just stuck my hand under there, found where the light was, twisted the bottom of it 90 degrees and it came out. You'll see what I'm talking about if you try this. I can't remember which way you have to turn the bulb, just don't force it. It doesn't take a lot of torque to remove. Change the bulb, replace the trim (don't forget to plug in your lighter) and you're all set.

Speebs

P.S. Does anyone know how to replace the bulb in the glove box? Also, what type of bulb is it? Thanks...
Old 07-12-2001, 06:20 PM

This part is kind of tricky, as you can't really get under the shifter without removing lots of stuff. I just stuck my hand under there, found where the light was, twisted the bottom of it 90 degrees and it came out. You'll see what I'm talking about if you try this. I can't remember which way you have to turn the bulb, just don't force it. It doesn't take a lot of torque to remove. Change the bulb, replace the trim (don't forget to plug in your lighter) and you're all set.

help me out over here bro. when you take the top off, which side, the right or left did you find the bulb? did you stick your hand straight down, left right? i tried doing this but coudl not find the bulb. whats the right way to do this? do you know?

ps: the glove box. i see screws and stuff, i will try doing it tom. have you tried it?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by ny96maxse
How do u change the securtiy light to blue and what kinda bulb is it?
Old 07-12-2001, 09:53 PM

To remove glovebox -
2 screws on the top left and right
2 screws on the bottom left and right
2 screws holding on the latch
2 clips about 1 inch inward from the sides on the top
Undo all the screws then pull from both sides of the top
Old 07-12-2001, 09:54 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Once you take the trim off, stick your hand to the left side of the shifter and find the wire that leads directly underneath the P-R-N... letters. You won't feel the bulb, you'll feel the plastic piece it fits into. Once you have it, just twist and pull down gently and it will come out. I don't think there's a lot else to grab down there. If there isn't enough room for your hand to fit underneath, you can remove the center console/armrest by unscrewing it and simply lifting up. If you do this, remember to set the parking brake. I forgot to mention before.. you should shift into N or D when you take the trim piece off... this makes it a lot easier to maneuver.

I haven't tried dismantling the glove box yet- I am lacking the time to do so right now. If you can figure it out, please let me know!

When I switched my security light, I used a 5v blue LED from Radio Shack. Rumor has it that some people's have burned out, by mine's been in there for a while and it's still going strong. It's pretty obvious how the bulb plugs in once you take apart the plastic housing. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE THE TINY RESISTOR THAT'S IN THERE. It's kind of important
Old 07-13-2001, 06:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speebs
[B]Once you take the trim off, stick your hand to the left side of the shifter and find the wire that leads directly underneath the P-R-N... letters. You won't feel the bulb, you'll feel the plastic piece it fits into. Once you have it, just twist and pull down gently and it will come out. I don't think there's a lot else to grab down there. If there isn't enough room for your hand to fit underneath, you can remove the center console/armrest by unscrewing it and simply lifting up. If you do this, remember to set the parking brake. I forgot to mention before.. you should shift into N or D when you take the trim piece off... this makes it a lot easier to maneuver.

will go at it again today. if im successful i'll even try the glove box bulb. ill let you know how it goes. later and thanks.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:39 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Another thing that I did yesterday with my dash bulbs on my 91 SE. Insted of putting the stock 194 bulbs in, I put 168 in instead (white of course) but the dash is 100% brighter than before. 168 are the same size as 194 only differents is the 168 are slightly higher wattage (5watts) 194 are 3.5 watts. It really works and you will see a difference.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Madmax1991
Another thing that I did yesterday with my dash bulbs on my 91 SE. Insted of putting the stock 194 bulbs in, I put 168 in instead (white of course) but the dash is 100% brighter than before. 168 are the same size as 194 only differents is the 168 are slightly higher wattage (5watts) 194 are 3.5 watts. It really works and you will see a difference.

thats something that could have been bought to my attention YESTERDAY. JK.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Aziantank88

How do u change the securtiy light to blue and what kinda bulb is it?
Yeah, I replaced most of my dash lights but I couldn't seem to remove the red security light. I've got a blue LED I wanna replace it with. Does it use a bulb or LED?
Old 07-13-2001, 11:41 AM

good idea! i think i'll buy some blue 168's for the dash and see how they look. Thanks madmax1991! btw, do you have any pics?
Old 07-13-2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Black95Se
To remove glovebox -
2 screws on the top left and right
2 screws on the bottom left and right
2 screws holding on the latch
2 clips about 1 inch inward from the sides on the top
Undo all the screws then pull from both sides of the top

perfect directions, was very easy. plz just tell me what bulb to use, is it the same as for the rest? the 194?? also, what bulbs are used for the side doors. i want to put colored bulbs there too. thakns.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:42 PM

Does anyone know what the light source is (bulb or LED) for the light near the igition? Has anyone tried to replace that bulb? If you know, please share--i'd like to try to do this mod.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:03 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Sorry guys no pics yet. You can however, put 168's where the 194s go. And trust me it was worth it. I was going to get the blue 168 at Speed Umlimited (near DC) but they wanted $7/pack. That wasn't in my budget. But for 1.77/pack the white was the best way to go. Also, if you choose to stay with the white bulbs, you have to reuse the blue bulb socks that are on the factory bulbs. If you don't, the white will drown out the guages.
Old 07-13-2001, 05:25 PM

Sorry guys no pics yet. You can however, put 168's where the 194s go. And trust me it was worth it. I was going to get the blue 168 at Speed Umlimited (near DC) but they wanted $7/pack. That wasn't in my budget. But for 1.77/pack the white was the best way to go. Also, if you choose to stay with the white bulbs, you have to reuse the blue bulb socks that are on the factory bulbs. If you don't, the white will drown out the guages.
I live in Maryland--near DC. Where is Speed Unlimited located? I'd rather get them at a shop instead of order via the net.

thanks

i hope you get more than 1 bulb in a pack!!
Old 07-13-2001, 08:16 PM
Disco Biscuit

I just changed mine out today and used the 194's from Pepboys. They are just as bright as stock. Best way to describe it is they look just like the Jetta's dash. Just make sure that any colored bulb you buy is made of color impregnated glass, and not painted. If it doesn't say that its impregnated, then it isn't. Makes a big difference not only in the quality of the color, but the color won't bake of over time. I have a pair of blue reverse light bulbs that are over 2 years old and still look perfect.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:15 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

you get 2 bulbs in each pack. Their bukbs aren't painted. Must be why they cost so much.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:20 PM
Disco Biscuit

The ones from Pepboys cost $2.50 a pair and they aren't painted ones either. Sounds like the other place is ripping people off.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:14 PM

After reading this thread earlier today...

I went out and picked up some lights and 45mins later i had my new dash lgihts. I used 194's b/c the shop i went to didn't have colored 168's. I must say the dash looks awesome but it NEEDS TO BE BRIGHTER For only 5bucks i got 6lights...so that will hold me over untill i can get my 168's. Guys who are goign to do this...get the higher wattage bulb IT WILL make the difference u are looking for!!

Next up is just matching that dash now with the rest of the conrtols (radio/clock/keyring any suggestions?)
Old 07-14-2001, 04:28 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Yeah the 168's are the brightest. Now all I want to know is, how bright are the 168's in the dash with the colored bulbs (blue)?
Old 07-14-2001, 08:07 AM
I aim to misbehave.

I plan on stopping over at Pep Boys in an hour or so.. I'll let you know how taht turns out.
Old 07-14-2001, 08:51 AM
Disco Biscuit

My 194's from Pepboys were no dimmer than stock lights.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by riggy

perfect directions, was very easy. plz just tell me what bulb to use, is it the same as for the rest? the 194?? also, what bulbs are used for the side doors. i want to put colored bulbs there too. thakns.
does anyone know the answer to this by any chance?
Old 07-14-2001, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by riggy

does anyone know the answer to this by any chance?
gauge cluster uses either 194 or 168

the bulbs in the doors (called step light in owner's manual) are bulb size 158 (3.4 watts)