4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Did i get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Did i get ripped off?

Long story short my car is original exhaust and it been driven in many PA winter, i just recently moved down to FL about 18 months ago. While i had the car in pa i replaced the muffler with a nice aftermarket greddy look a like. So while driving to work i notice the car has a horrible exhaust sound like aleak then when i get to work i notice the muffler hanging and i can hear the exhuast back by the cat.

I took it to a reputable muffler shop here Mad Hatter their came recommended by the tuner crowd out here for custom work. So when we get it on the lift my exhaust is so rusted i need to replace the cat so rusted the leak was at the flange., flex pipe, resonator and b-pipe, everything except the muffler and oem y-pipe from the flex pipe to the exhaust mani. Plus all my exhaust hangers were rusted off and no longer connected to the exhaust.

For $400 they welded together/installed a new 2.5" flex pipe, hi flow 2.5 cat, 2.5 resonator and b-pipe all up to my SS muffler. However the materials weren't SS, i come to the conclusion this car will no longer see salt from the PA winters. So the next ? do you think i got taken by this shop, the welds are spot on almost as great as a warspeed cat back
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....79#post5507979
Old 02-07-2007, 07:54 PM

the titles are the same but the story and authors of this thread is diff
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM

but the content is the same. You already paid and had the work done, so unless you plan on going back for a refund or plan on having the same work done again..........whats the point in asking? just my

at least his was routine maintenance
Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM

well since u did not look around for a price u have no chance of changing anything that was done, if u shopped around you would know if this place was trying to rip u off, but its too late now, just be happy that u got ur exhaust done and drive the car tyll she goes on ya
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 PM

well i guess I'm just asking for opinions if what i paid was reasonable considering work, plus i was btw caught in a hard place bc the exhaust as hanging from two parts. def not safe for driving.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
sky jumper

I understand the point in asking. but on this forum you're begging for people to ridicule you for being ripped off, even if you weren't - which, in my opinion, you were not. so long as the workmanship and materials were high quality you got a good value. high quality exhaust work is not cheap. cheap exhaust work is not high quality. and the so-called "lifetime" muffler shops are a scam.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM
And... I'm out

Coming from someone who just had a very similar thing happen. About cost, I can't tell you. What i can tell you is you should have come here first. my muffler rusted off right after the flange that held the muffler to the b-pipe. I took the muffler off the car. Gave me a few days to think of a solution. I looked around the forums and decided to get a whole new catback system. The shop that I took the car to did 2 things, removed the b-pipe from the cat and installed the muffler. The muffler had to be installed by them ($75) as I could not get the car high enough. The cat had to be removed from the b-pipe ($40) because I am arrogant and tried to do it myself before destroying almost every tool I had. I went back for a realignment yesterday which was done for free. Now, I paid $600 for the exhaust and $115 for labor. In terms of custom exhaust work I have never quoted it. for $400 you got a new exhaust system (aside from a muffler, $275 for the pipes they fixed from cattman stainless steel). so we are sitting at $275 for parts, +75/h for labor (comparing this to my shop). I think you didn't get ripped off, but could have gotten SS for reasonable price. I would not see this guy (who installed my exhaust) taking more then 2 hours to install my exhaust, so $150 + $275 = $425 with stainless steel...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:40 PM

i understand, their work is great, however isn't the org a place where fellow maxima enthusiasts get together and discuss car related issues whether asking for opinions about car problems or performance mods.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 PM

my appologies for discouraging your posting.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
my appologies for discouraging your posting.

no problem it is not that i'm insulted it just i use the org to talk to fellows car ppl and either complain/ whine about issues pertaining to the car or discuss how much I love maximas. My GF sure isn't the person i talk to about this, lol. regardless its human nature to ask ppl their opinion it help validates decision making that is just my 2 cents. That is the reason car forum or any forum/blog is created.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM

I feel the same way achebee4you. sometimes i cant get a respectfull response out of these so called PRO's on here, i understand some of the things i might ask here are too "easy" for you guys to answer, but i am not a mechanic, i never rebuilt an engine or transmission, i just dont have the know how or the tools, now try asking me about computers, electronics, and communications, lets see whos the noob now !!! i guess the point i am trying to make is that some things are easier for some people rather than others, if a question is too easy for u, or u answered it a million times already then just skip it, ignore it and go on to the next thread that u "like". I love this site, i love talking about cars and especially maximas, i love my max and some of the easy work i do myself, some of the hard work i pay others to do for me, whats the blame in that ? no i CANT afford it, but sometimes thats easier than doing things urself, it just depends on the person and the current situation.

I never got my exhaust done, so i DONT KNOW, but for 400 american bones, i think u didnt get ripped off but paid what it was worth for the work and parts. dude u have a brand new exhaust that will most likelu outlast the cars life. just be happy and ride with the sunroof open and windows down blasting ur fav tunes. hehe

Damn i feel like going for a drive and kicking the **** out of some Civic Ricer
Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 PM

dude i feel insulted.

that is all, carry on.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by edlab03
dude i feel insulted.

that is all, carry on.

sure you did now send me them clear lights, lol.