4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:23 PM

need guidance

well, its been over a year since getting max and so far my max is stock except for a hacked air box lol. Unfortunately, my max is auto. I want to start modding a little bit but I can't decide on what to do. Currently, I am planning to buy a y-pipe and save the rest for maintainence, but I also want a manual. My question is that should I just go with the y-pipe or continue saving for a 5-speed swap? or continue saving for that 3.5 swap? Currently, the car is at 93,xxx miles.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM

ok this is just another thread about people telling you what to do. I know we're not supposed to flame anymore or what not but what are you expecting to hear? You basically have to choose what to do with your own car. Obviously 3.5 swap is the best mod for the car and you'll have to swap the 5 spd in there anyway. You'll be able to keep the y pipe you buy for your car anyways since you'll probably use the 3.0 headers on the 3.5. I'm not sure what you're looking to hear. I think you need to look into things more and decide for yourself.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Just wait for the 3.5 swap and get a manual transmission with it. that way youll be making more power then you would with just a y-pipe, and youd have the manual transmission. Definatley the best of both worlds, I wish I had money to do that swap.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM

ok my bad, i should've been clearer. The reason I ask is because I have an auto and so should I save for a 5-speed swap before any performance upgrade or stick with the auto and add performance upgrades such as y-pipe, 00vi,etc...I know with a maxima that a manual is very different performance wise from an auto and so is that "difference" very important that I convert to a manual before I do anything else or continue with the auto?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 PM

well the difference is that the manual puts more power to the wheels because there are less parts moving in the manual between the engine and wheels (ex. planetary gears in auto). Obviously you dont have to same controll over the tranny in the auto but it depends what you want to do right now. 5spd is good for grabbing a little more power and utilize the upgrades a little more but auto isn't that bad, IMO at least. I have an auto so I know what it feels like. I know that the 5spd feels like a totally different car because the control, but I still believe it to be minimal differences. If you do decide that you want to do a 3.5 you will need a 5 spd tranny. Most say the 4spd auto can't handle that kind of power and I've yet to get any response on doing the 5spd manumatic swap with the 3.5. If you want a 5spd then do it first. Then do you're power upgrades. If you don't want to wait then mod the automatic, it's not that bad. You can still tune it.

Remember, 5spd swap is not an easy task. Nor are any of the good swaps. I'm sure you know this already but just thought I'd tell you. I doubt I'll have enough money to ever do the 3.5 and 5spd swap in my car. Maybe one day a de-k and 5spd or maybe just the de-k. Possibly the SC de-k. It's def. hard to decide where to go but money is always a huge factor and so is the ability to do the work. For now you need to make that big choice on what you want to do. Save and go 5spd? or start modding the auto. I wish I could post some dynos between auto and manual but I don't have them. Sorry this post is so long and drawn out haha.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Your miles are low enough, you could sell your current max and buy a 5-speed. Swapping out a motor/trans is a big task. It may be cheaper buying a 5-speed max than doing all the work to swap a motor and trans.
Just my thoughts on that.
About buying parts while you are auto, go for it. If you do plan to do the swap, just make sure the parts you buy will still be usable with the 5-speed.

Just my thoughts for you.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 PM

I think people on this site are forgetting one thing: our cars are anywhere from 8-12 years old. How long are you planning to keep this car realistically ? And if you decide to sell it at the end of its life, will it generate a valuable return? I understand that Maximas have a great depreciation value (maybe not as good as the Camry has but still better than most American or Japanese cars). Regardless, don't forget one thing, its an OLD car and it WILL break down and need maintenance done sooner or later, just don't forget that some things that break could cost near 1000 dollars.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 9378max
well, its been over a year since getting max and so far my max is stock except for a hacked air box lol. Unfortunately, my max is auto. I want to start modding a little bit but I can't decide on what to do. Currently, I am planning to buy a y-pipe and save the rest for maintainence, but I also want a manual. My question is that should I just go with the y-pipe or continue saving for a 5-speed swap? or continue saving for that 3.5 swap? Currently, the car is at 93,xxx miles.

Good to see another ATLien Registered on the org. Check out the regional section to see what we have going on around town, you could come out to a meet, see some other Max's and what they had done to their cars.

For now I'd say stick with the Auto, any power mods you add, you can still use if you convert to 5spd.

When your ready for the 3.5 Pm me, we'll talk.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:13 AM

save ur money, do a 3.5 converstion, that'll give u the most HP gain than a y pipe
Old 02-15-2007, 05:19 AM

How long do you think it'll be before you can afford to swap in a 3.5 (with stick shift, of course)? That should really be the deciding factor. If you're fine with driving a stock (dont do major mods because they will go out the window when you swap) auto until then, then go for it. If it'll take a while to save up and you want a manual and performance soon, then Id say sell your max and buy a manual one. A tranny swap is constly and not easy to do, save your self the headache. Its not like you've invested money into your car already (I think, by the sound of it lol).
Old 02-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Your miles are low enough, you could sell your current max and buy a 5-speed. Swapping out a motor/trans is a big task. It may be cheaper buying a 5-speed max than doing all the work to swap a motor and trans.
Just my thoughts on that.
About buying parts while you are auto, go for it. If you do plan to do the swap, just make sure the parts you buy will still be usable with the 5-speed.

Just my thoughts for you.
Ding ding ding.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 AM

thanks for the inputs guys. I think I am just going to get a y-pipe and then save further for a suspension setup and maybe get a BBK and call it quits. I still have two years left to pay off the car and my dad's 93 max is slowly dying at 150k and so we might be getting another car in a couple of years. (maxima of course)
Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

First off, make sure the car is up to date on maintenance. Make sure sure it's running tip top before even thinking of modding.

If you're serious about modding.

Get an intake (PR CAI, JWT/Stillen [stay sway from Injen]) Cattman headers, a Cattman b-pipe, keep the stock rear muffler, and a tranny cooler. To compliment these, get an AFC of any sort, AFPR, and a wb o2 sensor.

For further information on these items, check the AM forum.