4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: The Maxima must be to much for any Mechanic huh?
Most Certainly
65.22%
HEY! I'm a Mechanic You ****!!!
34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Hmm. None of my lights work

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:08 PM

Hmm. None of my lights work

Ookay, so recently we dropped in a new engine after I destroyed the other one. anyways after of which NONE of my lights work inside the car. the dumb *** Mechanic has 'no idea' what happened. he said they were fine when he got done with the engine. When i drove it home that day I guess i didn't really notice it. was more trying to get the feal of the new motor/tranny as my others were screwed up beyond repair. Anyways It didn't blow a fuse. I replaced the fuses for it and - bam, nothing. He had made a new grounding to the battery and I think MAYBE that has something to do with it, although I don't know cause I havn't cut open his crappy 'tape-up-the-wires' job he had done. This is getting really annoying. When I finally found out that my inside lights were not working. I managed to put up with it for maybe 3-4 mins before I got frustrated and went to autozone to buy some fuses. Of coarse the guys there had no idea what was wrong with it eaither. and the fuses did nothing except drain the money i had in my wallet. If you have any idea wtf is wrong please post. I'll probably end up checking the wires to the battary tomorrow after I get out of school before work. So yes.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Can you be more specific about what lights aren't working? Is it the lights in the dash or the dome light or the lights on the radio? And do you still have power to the accessories like the windows?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse729
Can you be more specific about what lights aren't working? Is it the lights in the dash or the dome light or the lights on the radio? And do you still have power to the accessories like the windows?

I said Inside lights. as in ALL inside lights. Dash/dome/flip down mirror lights/everything. Even Guage lights. I have power to everything. Everything is working fine if not perfect. Just the lights. I can't even drive the car at night without ghetto rigging a flashlight by taping it to the steering wheel to see how fast I'm going. lol...
Old 02-18-2007, 11:12 PM

since you said your mech. made parts of a new wiring harness i'd check all those connections to the battery, there are also more fuses in the engine bay. and check to make sure everything is nicely grounded, body and the engine
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by gen4maxima536
since you said your mech. made parts of a new wiring harness i'd check all those connections to the battery, there are also more fuses in the engine bay. and check to make sure everything is nicely grounded, body and the engine

I have, He did a good job grounding them. I'm thinkin' he cut some of the wires when he made the new grounds, then just didn't re-connect them to anything. He tapped up all the wires. but this morning before school I went out there and cut my car all up to hell to try and find where there could be wires that are cut but arn't running to the battery or anywhere. I couldn't find any. I tore my dash all to hell looking too. Everything seems to be pretty much connected. So I grabbed my Car manual and went off to school. Hopefully I'll find something in it that will help. Thank god 3 of the 4 classes i have have internet access .

I've checked the ones in the engine bay = They is fine.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Godzilla

does your a/c and stuff work?? what about the outside lights? it could be he just missed a harness connector that went inside or something. check on the bottom of the fuse box, if he had to pull that or took it out for whatever reason then perhaps he didn't plug in the fuse box. check both sides of the fuses to make sure they have power. do you have a test light?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 AM

((((((((EVERY))))))) Inside light doesnt work.
Every outside light works fine. Lights turn on, turning signals all thats great and fine, I've checked the fuse box plenty of times. Mostly for the fuses. I'll check under it and the connectors when I get home. A/C works.

Ya- I have the test light.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:04 PM

HEY HEY! I have the same problem. Now, I couldn't figure it out either but I did rig a switch with a power source to the positive illumination wire into the gauge cluster. Then cut the negative illumination wire. Flip the switch, good to go. Haha that's if you wanna do that though.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ZaxWhite97Max
((((((((EVERY))))))) Inside light doesnt work.
Every outside light works fine. Lights turn on, turning signals all thats great and fine, I've checked the fuse box plenty of times. Mostly for the fuses. I'll check under it and the connectors when I get home. A/C works.

Ya- I have the test light.
Take it to a another mechanic you trust. Either the dealership or an electrical shop. Don't authorize any repairs, only so much $$ in diag. Once they find the problem have them show it to you. If it's obviously done by neglect or poor craftsmanship on your "mechanics" behalf, he's liable. Make him pay the diag and repair the automobile.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by XAugusta MoonX
HEY HEY! I have the same problem. Now, I couldn't figure it out either but I did rig a switch with a power source to the positive illumination wire into the gauge cluster. Then cut the negative illumination wire. Flip the switch, good to go. Haha that's if you wanna do that though.
Do you have to flip a seperate switch everytime you want your lights to come on? Cause.. thats kinda.,, eww. I don't really wanna ghetto rig my car to hell..

And for the mechanic - no. I hate them. I try to do everything myself, I'm 17 and only just started getting into cars hardcore recently so I mean I'm still trying to figure alot of stuff out.

The first mechanic we had, the one that was dropping my engine and puttin in the new engine/tranny. he retardedly misunderstood the word DROP. and pulled the motor and the transmission out the top as one. then tried to hook it up going through the top as one. He also tried to hook up a Manual flywheel to the automatic tranny . we finally had to take the car away. Im pretty sure he's in debt with my car now cause he's been paying alot of it. in the end all we ended up paying for was the motor/tranny no instalation fee. it was pretty nice.

BTW Get 5thgenmaxima - Davenport is not to far away from CR. I go there a few times a year to meet up with a cousin. Bout hour and a half away. I got a friend that races up there sometimes at the oval.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 AM

well, you said that he made new grounds...what did he ground?? current wants to flows through the path of least resistance....maybe he did TOO many grounds????.....Obviously i'm not talking about grounding the alternator, battery and all such. kinda sounds to me that there is a short where a wire is crossed or that a positive wire is touching ground...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
well, you said that he made new grounds...what did he ground?? current wants to flows through the path of least resistance....maybe he did TOO many grounds????.....Obviously i'm not talking about grounding the alternator, battery and all such. kinda sounds to me that there is a short where a wire is crossed or that a positive wire is touching ground...
...to the battery.

Anyways I did end up cutting up that electrical taped up ghetto rigging job he did. and found that alot of the wires that where running there are just simply cut and have no end. So I'll just make new ends and run them to the battery hopefully that works. If not. TO NISSAN SHE GOES!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:47 PM

You flip the normal switch for headlights and then the switch for the interior lights. No sweat. This only turns on the gauge and instrument (A/C) lights, for the record.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by XAugusta MoonX
You flip the normal switch for headlights and then the switch for the interior lights. No sweat. This only turns on the gauge and instrument (A/C) lights, for the record.
Grr Can you post how you did it, or just PM me in somewhat good detail. Because this is getting some gay ****. got ****in hit today (nothin bad). moron guy thought the light turned Green. WRONG it was red idiot. He let his car kinda idle into mine. and then does this to me while im staring at him in the mirror like this I get out and he goes. Oh.. My bad. seems i must have uhm. messed up. DAMN RIGHT. Thank god my bumber is already trashy I felt bad for the guy I ended up talking to him. He looked like a poor old guy, drove a geo metro. (he didn't even have insurance) I felt bad and said Don't worry about it. Cool part was we ended up at mcdonalds together and he payed for my lunch. Nice man I think he might rape me though.

AND BACK TO THE SUBJECT Yeah my lights don't work

It's Teh Gayness.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM

PM sent. Any trouble, just ask.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM
What's next!?..

I'm assuming you've checked that the Illumination dial next to the steering wheel is not pushed all the way to the off position, correct?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JPMax
I'm assuming you've checked that the Illumination dial next to the steering wheel is not pushed all the way to the off position, correct?

That's what I was just about to post. If that's it I'm going to die laughing.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 PM

It can't be that. That doesn't control the dome lights or any of the other ones beside the gauge lights.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by hacim105
That's what I was just about to post. If that's it I'm going to die laughing.

You're retarded. I'm not that dumb. that WAS THE FIRST thing I checked when my lights went off.

I bet thats what happened to you and you made a post about it and brought it to nissan and they're like "YOU MOTHER **** **** ***** ***** ***** **** ** **** ** ****... you turned them off with your wheel- thats 50
Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 AM

You're retarded. I'm not that dumb. that WAS THE FIRST thing I checked when my lights went off.

I bet thats what happened to you and you made a post about it and brought it to nissan and they're like "YOU MOTHER **** **** ***** ***** ***** **** ** **** ** ****... you turned them off with your wheel- thats 50

wow calm down they were just trying to help. which includes all possible problems and the switch being off, although very simple, could of been the cause
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Lol, I know, I'm only playing. But I'm not stupid.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM

Lol, I know, I'm only playing. But I'm not stupid.

Well that has happened to me, I took my car to a car wash place once and the lights got turned off, I didn't know until the evening and I got a little scared but then quickly figured it out.

No need for a thread about it, I'm not that dumb either. But it's a easy thing you can overlook when you NEVER adjust it.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by hacim105
Well that has happened to me, I took my car to a car wash place once and the lights got turned off, I didn't know until the evening and I got a little scared but then quickly figured it out.

No need for a thread about it, I'm not that dumb either. But it's a easy thing you can overlook when you NEVER adjust it.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 AM
1337 BR Max

Whenever you feel like a mechanic is feeding you bull s***, walk away. I don't deal with more than 2 mechanics anyway because the majority will try to pull the "I know what I'm talking about, I'm a mechanic" thing, but really, they're saying "I can't believe they're paying me this much to do this job that's not even gonna repair their car, maybe they'll pay more if I say I do more...". At least, that's my experience with mechanics until I learned more about cars.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:08 AM
1337 BR Max

Please don't say I'm not THAT dumb, it makes it seem like you're saying you are slightly stupid, and believe me, you really don't want to call yourself that, it might make others think less of you. Plus, y'all, chill with the negativity, geez.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 AM

I said Inside lights. as in ALL inside lights. Dash/dome/flip down mirror lights/everything. Even Guage lights. I have power to everything. Everything is working fine if not perfect. Just the lights. I can't even drive the car at night without ghetto rigging a flashlight by taping it to the steering wheel to see how fast I'm going. lol...
Surprised you guys continued making suggestions after this response. I would have told him to go buy a flashlight and , but thats just me.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
Surprised you guys continued making suggestions after this response. I would have told him to go buy a flashlight and , but thats just me.

I fixed it- (A few days ago) I stopped posting but I kept getting dumb replies. Like, Check the WHEEL!!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by [h2k]DotheDU
Please don't say I'm not THAT dumb, it makes it seem like you're saying you are slightly stupid, and believe me, you really don't want to call yourself that, it might make others think less of you. Plus, y'all, chill with the negativity, geez.
stfu -_-
Old 02-24-2007, 11:48 PM

I fixed it- (A few days ago) I stopped posting but I kept getting dumb replies. Like, Check the WHEEL!!

what was the fix?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by gen4maxima536
what was the fix?
Can you say, "Ghetto Rig" ??
Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 PM

way to be, lol