4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Garbage Ebay Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply but I going to try this thing out. I showed the guys at my job and they said the welds were no that bad. I added some JB weld to upper intake part and I going to install it on sunday. I wil have pics of before the install and after on monday. Personally I still think this is a poor quality intake compared to ones I have seen in the past. However the guys at my job suggested I try it out before throwing it in the garbarge. P.S. I wish cattman was still selling the Place Racing intake. I know I would have been satisfied with their quality.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by buzpuck11
Don't let this one bad experience stop you or anyone else. A lot of people have have good things to say about these intakes, and ebay is not as bad as people make it out to be. There are a lot of good deals to be had. Besides, the OP didn't even TRY the intake before knocking it, just assumed it was crap by appearance. So take this all with a grain of salt and then go for it!
Your right...I will reconsider after L.I. gives it a try and provides the feedback...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 PM

i bought this one

http://www.k2motor.com/afcmax95.html

its 50 bucks free shipping

you can find it on ebay for 30ish at times

i got mine about 3 months ago put it on. weld looks great. i put it in as a hai right now im just waiting on some warmer weather to put on the extra pipe and drill the hole
Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by garyrr
i bought this one

http://www.k2motor.com/afcmax95.html

its 50 bucks free shipping

you can find it on ebay for 30ish at times

i got mine about 3 months ago put it on. weld looks great. i put it in as a hai right now im just waiting on some warmer weather to put on the extra pipe and drill the hole
this is teh exact same intake I just bought last week, and it went in great. Awsome for only ~$35 shipped
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 PM

ok you guys are flipping out over one intake. So many people buy them online and have no problems. The filters are the problem. I'm surprised to see you didn't even test it out on your car before posting this thread. I guess if you think you see holes then maybe there are. You can still fix that without a problem IMO.

I don't like the "get what you pay for", that's not true IMO. To all you guys who were saying buy name brand so you get a better product, yeah you get a name and nothing else. Injen intakes suck IMO. Spending $300 to lose power down low....can't even explain how much of a waste that is IMO.

All the other guys who said you won't buy off ebay now, yeah you take a chance getting a bad product but honestly there are so many less threads I see complaining about intakes at least. Don't let one bad product change your mind.

Take care of the intake. Talk to the seller or try to make this one work. It was $40.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 PM

if i had known about this before i bought mine i would have bought it off you and grinded it down and welded it myself...

dont say ebay intakes all suck. ebay is a website that houses MANY MANY companies. i have seen atleast 5 diff companies that make intakes for our car that are sold on ebay out of all of them i think the k2( one i bought) is the more expensive of the no name intakes but by looking at pictures and aksing other owners and k2 looked to be the best qualityfor the money

also doesnt some of the very high end companies selling for 300 have a 2nd intake port incase the 1st one takes in alot of water( thus preventing hydrolock)? im not sure but iv heard some campanies claim this a while back
Old 02-24-2007, 12:25 AM
1337 BR Max

Originally Posted by jltibbs
one point i would like to make: if you take the cost of a good, quality brand product, divide that by 3, if the cost is way lower than that on ebay, it's a no go. for instance: injen tech intake around $275. $275/3=$91 in your case, you paid just under half of that; the 1/3 cost. "you get what you pay for."

And I've made this mistake plenty of times on ebay. Being cheap in the long run doesn't pay off.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 AM

Well being cheap really does not pay off. The upper intake vacuum lines did not match up so the cold air set up went out the window. However I was able to set-up a HAI with some stock parts and some of the cold air intake kit parts. The results are I did not lose any low end so far ( I am still able to spin the tires from standing still ) and there a wicked howling noise coming from the intake when I mash the pedal. I could still make this a cold air set up but I have to use a different tube since I am currently using stock mid piece ( the part with the vacuum lines attached ). I wil have pics but I could not yesterday due the fact I was working while doing this project.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 AM

i have had my ebay intake for 2 years....and no problems. so idn what could be so bad about them...i even the heavy stillen monster filter on it, and its been fine
Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM

You did lose low end power, but since it's cold out you won't notice now. In the summer you will. It's proven that HAI takes away low end power.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM

Ebay is always hit or miss. My policy is that when it comes to something that directly affects the performance or operation of my car I go directly with a dealer who is well known and I buy the parts new. example just bought an injen intake for 279, im sure there are plenty of intakes for much less on ebay that work as well, if not better, but with this purchase i know exactly what i am getting.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Notahondaowner
i know exactly what i am getting.
A hot air intake that ingests it's air from one of the hottest, if not the hottest portion of the engine bay. (In between the exhaust manifold and radiator)

Not exactly a CAI. I can make an intake that outperforms that for less than half.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Shoulda mentioned i bought the CAI
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Ebay is always hit or miss. My policy is that when it comes to something that directly affects the performance or operation of my car I go directly with a dealer who is well known and I buy the parts new. example just bought an injen intake for 279, im sure there are plenty of intakes for much less on ebay that work as well, if not better, but with this purchase i know exactly what i am getting.
WTF, i spend a lot on my car but the stealership, hell naw... it's like you said "you know there are better parts or parts that are the same, maybe better, wouldn't you agree that you over spend on a ebay intake that has injen writen on it???, remember you said they're the same maybe better, so i guess your also telling him that you spend top notch dollars for something you not even sure if it's rhw best or not???... hmmm!!! if you ask me i would say thats not knowing what you paid for... most certainly not knocking you for the route you went, hust confused me a lil... care to explain?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Shoulda mentioned i bought the CAI
I know, and I still stand by my post.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 PM

I didnt buy it directly from injen, bought the cai new for the best price i could find. That was just my two cents, i dont mind paying around 300 bucks for a cai.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

I'd rather spend $300 for actual performance enhancing modification.

SAFC + wb. A tad over 300, BUT, well worth the benefit.

Add that to a nicely set-up intake system, and you'll be set for a while.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 AM

I didnt buy it directly from injen, bought the cai new for the best price i could find. That was just my two cents, i dont mind paying around 300 bucks for a cai.

you paid 300 bucks yeah but not for a cai you bought a HAI. Injen is known to be a hot air intake setup could have probably spent the same if not a little less and bought a true cai from cattman the pr cai or made your own for that amount
Old 02-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

It's official...we've killed the subject.