4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:24 PM
You know how I do....

Vibration while driving

It doesn't vibrate while I am parked or at extremely slow speeds. I shrugged it off at high speeds because I thought it was the alignment, but I got it aligned back in October. The car still slightly drifts but nothing crazy. I tried to ignore it, but it has gotten progressively worse. I was on the highway today doing 60 give or take, and I felt my car was going to shake apart. I notice a slight tick in my steering wheel whenever my makes a whole spin. I also hear a "dub, dub, dub" sound and it gets faster or slower according to how fast I am going. I recently also noticed a bubble in my tire that I got plugged. Another thing I notice or hear rather is I hear a click from my right front tire whenever I turn my wheel all the way to the right. I want to say that I just need new tires, but before I invest in that I wanted to see what you guys thought.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
You know how I do....

Tires are cool, as far as the treads go. Dunno what the torque on the lugs is, I tighten them up by hand but they seem tight as hell.

Could it be my bearings? I recently replaced one axle, control arms, tie rods, all of that crap. Haven't jacked it up to see it the cv boot is torn, but I doubt it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 AM

i get a vibration when im going 70+MPH....but thats cause im going 70+MPH....lol and cause its front wheel drive. the bubble in your tire it no good. i had one in my sidewall, had to replace the tire. and its normal for the car to pull a little bit due to concave of the road.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:57 AM

Racer, its possible that a belt is damaged in your tire, causing the vibration. I had experienced this 4 years ago after hitting a large pothole at night. New tires solved it.
As far as the noise that is heard when the wheel is turned all the way to the right....possibilities are that it is a bad strut bearing. The bearing doesnt turn properly, causing some resistance and a faint thud can be heard. If your struts themselves are shot, they will cause teh car to stray on the highway. How many miles on your Max? Has any front end parts been replaced?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Pay to Play

When you turn it could be an axle. Try to get new tires.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 AM
You know how I do....

Originally Posted by metal_god98SE
Racer, its possible that a belt is damaged in your tire, causing the vibration. I had experienced this 4 years ago after hitting a large pothole at night. New tires solved it.
As far as the noise that is heard when the wheel is turned all the way to the right....possibilities are that it is a bad strut bearing. The bearing doesnt turn properly, causing some resistance and a faint thud can be heard. If your struts themselves are shot, they will cause teh car to stray on the highway. How many miles on your Max? Has any front end parts been replaced?

Well I have it in the shop today...perfect time for it to conk out on me. I have to drive like 300 miles this weekend and i'm in the middle of a bunch of exams at school so i cant really check it out myself.

I replaced alot of crap on the front end, new struts (kyb gr-2s, although i regret getting them), control arms, tie rods, i hit a curb back in october and had all of that replaced and got it aligned.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:26 PM

so whats goin on?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Racer_M
Well I have it in the shop today...perfect time for it to conk out on me. I have to drive like 300 miles this weekend and i'm in the middle of a bunch of exams at school so i cant really check it out myself.

I replaced alot of crap on the front end, new struts (kyb gr-2s, although i regret getting them), control arms, tie rods, i hit a curb back in october and had all of that replaced and got it aligned.
why do u regret the struts u bought ?

and are u lowered ?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 AM
You know how I do....

I thought I responed back to this thread, the belts were gone on the tires...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by metal_god98SE
yeah the samething is happning to me now, I rotated the tires and still get the vibration but it comes and goes and it only comes when im accelerating out of 2nd and goes away on 4th. I even got the tires balanced, that helped but the vibration is not as bad as before.

maybe I need new tires
Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Check your rotors they're probably warped. At slower speeds like 30-35mph,
there will be a continuous thump. It fades away at higher speeds, but it's a fast thump.

WARPED ROTORS
Old 04-21-2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gismo-T
Check your rotors they're probably warped. At slower speeds like 30-35mph,
there will be a continuous thump. It fades away at higher speeds, but it's a fast thump.

WARPED ROTORS
Nope the rotors are fine, I suspect it to me a warped cv axle driver side because thats where the vibration is coming from. I brought that axle brand new when I should have just gotten a rebuilt one. ah well I'm going to swap it out today and get one from the bone yard
Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM

Sounds like the tires are bad and out of balance. +1 for new tires
Old 04-27-2007, 05:15 PM

Tires are definately a possibility. I was having really bad shakin at 70+ miles per hour with my old set. Once I upgraded to my new 18's and put on some new tires, no shaking whatsoever. Even at 100mph+ it was still silky smooth.