4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

slow tranny shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Too obsessed

slow tranny shifts

Under hard acceleration, my tranny seems to shift abnormally slow. it is a brand new tranny too. Under normal, slow acceleration, it shifts fine but takes its damn time when i get on it. i drove my girlfriend's 1994 accord with the original tranny froom 1994 and under WOT it shifts nice and quick! whats the deal?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Gotcha!

Originally Posted by busterdawg22
Under hard acceleration, my tranny seems to shift abnormally slow. it is a brand new tranny too. Under normal, slow acceleration, it shifts fine but takes its damn time when i get on it. i drove my girlfriend's 1994 accord with the original tranny froom 1994 and under WOT it shifts nice and quick! whats the deal?
Under WOT driving conditions, the tranny will shift slower. This is slipping within the transmission. If you want to correct it and have a faster shift in WOT driving, look here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=285482

That is the drop resistor mod. It might be useful for you if you want to do it.

Also if you have not already done it, install a new 1/0, 2AWG or 4AWG wire from your negative terminal on your battery to the chassis. Also use a dremel tool to grind down some of the paint under the existing grounding wire connections on the chassis. It will help you. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=512867
Old 03-09-2007, 04:00 PM

do not do the DR mod for your daily driver. I hate when people post about doing that mod for better shifting when it's not good for daily driving. The point is to connect it to a switch to turn it on and off when you track or what not. Anyways, I don't understand why you posted this thread when the other one said your tranny was slipping....? I'm confused with what is actually happening with your car. Anyways, I would assume the tranny is slipping again. You didn't rebuild so it's bound to happen with another used tranny. Have the shop check it out. As for the DR mod, forget it and do a VB mod if you really want to and the tranny isnt slipping. Much better shifting in the auto with a VB mod. It's desgined for that. The DR mod is not designed for DD . And your ground has probably nothing to do with the problem.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by swatspyder
Under WOT driving conditions, the tranny will shift slower. This is slipping within the transmission.
I guess that's why line pressure is increased with respect to throttle position
Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Gotcha!

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I guess that's why line pressure is increased with respect to throttle position
So that's why my tranny shifts slower at higher rpm's than shifting at 2500.... it may increase but it does not hit full line pressure when shifting at high rpms

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
do not do the DR mod for your daily driver. I hate when people post about doing that mod for better shifting when it's not good for daily driving. The point is to connect it to a switch to turn it on and off when you track or what not. Anyways, I don't understand why you posted this thread when the other one said your tranny was slipping....? I'm confused with what is actually happening with your car. Anyways, I would assume the tranny is slipping again. You didn't rebuild so it's bound to happen with another used tranny. Have the shop check it out. As for the DR mod, forget it and do a VB mod if you really want to and the tranny isnt slipping. Much better shifting in the auto with a VB mod. It's desgined for that. The DR mod is not designed for DD . And your ground has probably nothing to do with the problem.
The WOT switch does not allow the tranny to always shift at full line pressure... If that were the case, we'd have a lot more people blowing their trannys and complaining that their shifts during DD were breaking their necks! It is only when the pedal is to the floor. VB mod is going to cause all of the shifts to be firmer.

For the ground, in my case, my shifts are smoother than when it was stock.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Pretty sure the ground wire is in your head.

But my point was that the DR mod is bad for the tranny during DD. The DR mod is for track. The point of the switch is to turn the power on and off to the DR. Having the DR off all the time during DD will blow the tranny after a while. Too much heat and friction. The whole point of the VB mod is to make the shifts firmer and quicker while being safer on the tranny. With a cooler, the VB mod is a great mod IMO. If you're tranny is shifting slower at higher rpms...you might want to check that. The tranny shifts faster when there is more pressure in the lines. More pressure in the lines when you open the throttle more. How can your car shift slower when you have more pressure in your lines?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:55 PM

my tranny has always seemed to shift slow when i step on the gas too. the RPMs will rev way up and then it will shift real hard, jerk, and take off...i have no idea what causes it to do so, but it has done it both when i got the car and after the tranny was rebuilt. i just try not to punch it and if i do i let off a little when the revs get up high and it shifts a little smoother.

ps-if anyone would like to tell me why the tranny does that, feel free. haha
Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Check that your TPS is properly caliberated. Procedure is in Hayes, chiltons manual.
If your tps resistance show above 600ohms on closed throttle that is the problem.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:55 PM

It could be the tps but if the tps is set wrong he'll have harder shifts when the car is slow. If he puts more pressure on it the tranny will shift easier because there is more pressure.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:54 PM

my tranny does the same thing as willard00. whenever it happens my cars tcu always throws TPS code. I know for sure tps on my car is off.
AFAIK tcu needs signal from VSS & TPS to properly decide gear if one of them is off transmission will either jerk or not shift smoothly.

I know lot & lot of people face this problem. Rebuilding tranny will not help. ( I Had tranny rebuild from aamco) I am not good with wiring etc, if only I could put some LED's to check TCU & Solenoid for shiftsignal, I can figure out whats going wrong. Can any one in bay area help me with wirings ?