4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how bad is it to drive with a bad o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:06 PM

how bad is it to drive with a bad o2 sensor?

Freaking USPS is taking their sweet sweet time delivering my o2 sensor which
i was hoping to install today.

How bad would it be to drive 1500 milles with a bad firewall-side o2 sensor? ATM, I am reading the voltages on it and its sporadic - its not completely 0.00 volts, but sometimes it'd stay there for a bit then kick in again for a while...
Old 03-17-2007, 01:18 PM

I would assume you woudl leave the o2 sensor connected and still installed in the y-pipe.

Your car wont die, or break down, gas consumption wouldnt be as great as it should be, driving to and from work you could get away from it, but travelling 1500 miles, you might feel that dent in your wallet, but your car would be fine.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I would assume you woudl leave the o2 sensor connected and still installed in the y-pipe.

Your car wont die, or break down, gas consumption wouldnt be as great as it should be, driving to and from work you could get away from it, but travelling 1500 miles, you might feel that dent in your wallet, but your car would be fine.
Well atm I am getting 23 MPG average which includes %50-50 heavy traffic/highway.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM

its up to you.

If you worried it might cause damage to the engine and cause you to not make it the 1500 trip, dont worry. But for the sake of getting the best MPG you can, it would be best to change the o2 sensor before you go.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:50 PM

its up to you.

If you worried it might cause damage to the engine and cause you to not make it the 1500 trip, dont worry. But for the sake of getting the best MPG you can, it would be best to change the o2 sensor before you go.

Yeah this is what I am going to be trying to do - maybe manage to get it swapped by then... problem is i am super busy all the week and this is not an easy thing I can do by myself (need to lift the car )
Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 PM

My newbie QUESTION

I just beat a stock 2006 SE Maxima, with my 97 STOCK SE 5spd, he had a auto. Anyway it was neck to neck until I through it in 4th gear and caught a lil jump on him, he was at my back bumper for a stretch. I looked at my speedomoter and I was hitting 120 and my CEL came on. I checked the code and it gave me a 0707. Rear Heated o2 sensor, can it be anything else but my sensor, anyway until i get it fixed is it okay to drive my car aggressive will i notice any lost in power?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:23 PM

i used to drive for about 6 months with a bad downstream o2, i know its basically not a critical sensor so thats why i put it off for a while, i changed it and nothing much changed, just fuel economy got better by my estimates, but not significanly
Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 PM

i believe that the rear o2 sensor is mostly to tell the ecu when the catlatyic goes bad, or something similar, its in the sticky's somewhere.

i also have this code, i found the rear o2(4wires) for about $40 and the front o2(3wires) for $35 on ebay. NTK's. i chose NTK because i always choose NGK's for spark plugs... i was told to use BOSCH o2 sensors by a few nissan freaks, there isn't a big price difference... only about $2.

my mechanic said its not a big issue but i'm replacing it since my catalytic converter is blocked and leaking at both joints and will need replacement anyways. the o2 sensor bung was rusted and the o2 sensor fell out and was scraped on the highway on the way home.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 PM

are there any driving related problems if the front right o2 sensor is bad?
or just bad mileage and less pickup?
my car sometimes jerks while accelerating. MAF sensor recently replaced with a new one.

these are the codes remaining.

Front right o2 sensor.
rear o2 sensor.
knock sensor.
egr solenoid valve.

i figured its the o2 sensor... since i've always had the knock sensor and egr code there but never a problem. o2 sensor codes came on recently and the problem jerk started recently.

its the similar jerk as a bad MAF sensor. my new maf is working fine and tested.

any suggestions? is the jerk o2 related? or mayb fuel related? spark/coil?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxiiMa
my car sometimes jerks while accelerating. MAF sensor recently replaced with a new one.

Front right o2 sensor.
rear o2 sensor.
knock sensor.
egr solenoid valve.

i figured its the o2 sensor... since i've always had the knock sensor and egr code there but never a problem. o2 sensor codes came on recently and the problem jerk started recently.

its the similar jerk as a bad MAF sensor. my new maf is working fine and tested.

First off try not to jack others threads.

The front o2 sensor can cause a wierd jerking if it is bad. I have a bad heater in my front left one and I have some jerking and such until the sensor warms up to its proper operating temp. Is the jerking constant even after your car warms up?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ComradeJew
Yeah this is what I am going to be trying to do - maybe manage to get it swapped by then... problem is i am super busy all the week and this is not an easy thing I can do by myself (need to lift the car )

the o2 sensor can be a quick 20 min job. do you have a jack or the stock jack?
once you get the car up, roll under and with an o2 socket, cresent wrench, or 17mm wrench you can get the o2 off in no time, and the new one in lickity split.

Originally Posted by GStrength
I just beat a stock 2006 SE Maxima, with my 97 STOCK SE 5spd, he had a auto. Anyway it was neck to neck until I through it in 4th gear and caught a lil jump on him, he was at my back bumper for a stretch. I looked at my speedomoter and I was hitting 120 and my CEL came on. I checked the code and it gave me a 0707. Rear Heated o2 sensor, can it be anything else but my sensor, anyway until i get it fixed is it okay to drive my car aggressive will i notice any lost in power?
Drive safely
rear o2 wont hurt performance, but its still good to change it asap.

Originally Posted by MaxiiMa

Front right o2 sensor.
rear o2 sensor.
knock sensor.
egr solenoid valve.

fix the egr and the KS. reset the ecu and see what codes come back.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM

the o2 sensor can be a quick 20 min job. do you have a jack or the stock jack?
once you get the car up, roll under and with an o2 socket, cresent wrench, or 17mm wrench you can get the o2 off in no time, and the new one in lickity split.

Drive safely
rear o2 wont hurt performance, but its still good to change it asap.

fix the egr and the KS. reset the ecu and see what codes come back.

I don't have an o2 sensor wrench Makes things a bit harder
Old 03-18-2007, 12:01 PM

you can rent one from autozone (put a deposit down and get it back when you bring back the tool)

or just use a crescent wrench or a 17mm wrench either of the three.

I tool my o2 before off with a crescent wrench, didnt need an o2 socket.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:09 PM

you can rent one from autozone (put a deposit down and get it back when you bring back the tool)

or just use a crescent wrench or a 17mm wrench either of the three.

I tool my o2 before off with a crescent wrench, didnt need an o2 socket.
Hmmm we'll I'll see if I can borrow or perhaps rent a jackstand for super cheap somewhere - decent one is 100 bucks and I usually go to my buddy's shop for this sort of crap except this is very short notice and I am not sure he'd have time.