4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:54 PM

^ Those may work (for a while, until they blow) with your stock struts but your ride quality will suck - you'll be bouncing all over the place. Take it from someone who has made that mistake before.

Get yourself a decent spring/strut combo or don't do it at all.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Missing

My 98 Maxima has recently started missing when idling. Also, if I'm cruising (stuck behind a slow person) between 30 - 40 mph, it misses horribly but not if I'm accelerating between 30-40. However, it doesn't do this all the time but seems to get worse the longer I drive. No codes are showing up. Mechanic changed plugs and fuel filter. Said the next thing would be the coils but no way to know which one is bad since no code is showing up. Two things if this helps - just came back from Smoky Mountains (I live on Gulf Coast), and the missing seemed much worse, I assume having something to do with the altitude. And I'm not positive this isn't just coincidental but it seems that the missing stops when idling if I put it in neutral. Haven't done that one enough times yet to make a definite determination.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I don't have time or money to fix something that may or may not be helpful.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi my friends maxi 99 tranny died so i need to strip all of his sensors like knock sensor, hood and left fender.. to put on my maxi 97.. dont really know where or how to take out the sensor. plz help im getting it for free and i do need it.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by A32_Beast
i have a 95 maxima 5mt, and i have a electrical problem. i had installed a system in my car it was good, nothing happen then lastnight when i was driving home my radio cuts off and i dont know why and i cant wind up my windows or lock my car. i need help asap.
Check the fuse panel (right where your left knee is) for a blown fuse.

Also, check your grounds.

Originally Posted by khmer1
hello since i cant seem to make my own thread i just revived this one so my question is

which one is better spring for a lowered but comfortable ride i am look at the h&r spring(1.5,1.3) and the H.Tech tein spring(1.6F,1.2R) they both claim to work for stock struts(for now)(kyb,tokico)

cant seem to choose any reviews on people that own them and your opinion on them which one would you choose

let me know willing to answer questions and more info you have thanks
I have H&R's and they're nice. The KYB AGX's are rough in the cold weather. People around here seem to like tokico blues.

Originally Posted by aczace87
Hi my friends maxi 99 tranny died so i need to strip all of his sensors like knock sensor, hood and left fender.. to put on my maxi 97.. dont really know where or how to take out the sensor. plz help im getting it for free and i do need it.
Check the how-to thread for changing out the knock sensor, but take his out first and inspect it for any damage. You don't want to put in a broken piece of equipment.

What other sensors are you taking?

The hood and fender are pretty self explanitory as they just bolt on.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pic of drivers side axle not ully engaged

Originally Posted by pmohr
There's no problem with both axles being out.

Why remove the balljoint/tie rod nuts? Much easier and quicker to remove strut-knuckle bolts/nuts.

Are you sure you FULLY engaged the driver's side axle into the trans? That's most likely your problem. If you can, take a picture.

Also, you can't service pretty much anything other than the VB/solenoids/filter when you drop the pan, everything else is inaccessible.

That will do it. Dumb mistake. Thank you again.

If your driver side axle is only in the trans this far:

keep pushing.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:47 PM

anyone here know if people have before and after dyno numbers for 4th gen y-pipe changes.. I keep hearing/seeing posts about how this is a must do mod and 15-20hp gain but at what point? (at what loss in low end?).. what are real world numbers?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by schaery
My 98 Maxima has recently started missing when idling. Also, if I'm cruising (stuck behind a slow person) between 30 - 40 mph, it misses horribly but not if I'm accelerating between 30-40. However, it doesn't do this all the time but seems to get worse the longer I drive. No codes are showing up. Mechanic changed plugs and fuel filter. Said the next thing would be the coils but no way to know which one is bad since no code is showing up. Two things if this helps - just came back from Smoky Mountains (I live on Gulf Coast), and the missing seemed much worse, I assume having something to do with the altitude. And I'm not positive this isn't just coincidental but it seems that the missing stops when idling if I put it in neutral. Haven't done that one enough times yet to make a definite determination.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I don't have time or money to fix something that may or may not be helpful.
I just recently had a misfire problem. Check your fuel injectors and your coils. Fuel injectors should be around 11.5 ohms. If they're measuring 0 ohms they're probably dead. There are a bunch of threads on it so if you need more info searching will help you a lot.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by ceboyd
anyone here know if people have before and after dyno numbers for 4th gen y-pipe changes.. I keep hearing/seeing posts about how this is a must do mod and 15-20hp gain but at what point? (at what loss in low end?).. what are real world numbers?
If anything at all you gain more of a low end... it's not like you're adding a 3 inch exhaust, you're just removing a few stilly OEM bends in the Y-pipe which was probably put there to quiet the car down a bit. Now don't take that last part of the sentence the wrong way, as long as you keep the stock muffler you will have a pretty mellow/quiet exhaust.

MY QUESTION!

While inspecting my car today I saw that my tranny said "Nissan Japan 38U" on it, I googled around a bit and found that the 38U is also stamped on the MEVIs, but why is it on my 5spd tranny? Is this normal?

FYI. The previous owner did replace the tranny.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM

^^^my guess would be that the same was used from 95-01 since its kinda the same motor. but i'm new to this maxima scene so like i mentioned its just a guess...
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 AM

I have a little question. My engine was not heating up very well, basically if I let it idle for a long time it might heat up, but when I'd turn on the heat or drive anywhere it would cool down and I'd get no heat. So, I measured the resistance (I can't remember what it was then) and I replaced the ECTS. I measured the resistance of the new ECTS and it was about 4 kohms (or the like, I can't remember that either). Anyway, it worked good for a dew days, but now it still takes a long time to heat up and sometimes if I turn the heat on it'll cool back down.

When I purchased the ECTS from Partsource the lady that brought it to the counter definitely slammed it on the counter. Is that bad? (I was a little shocked when she did it) Should I take it back or is there something else that would contribute to the engine not heating up very fast. (It takes at least 10 mins at about 80 km/h for it to get mildly warm).

Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 95franklin
I have a little question. My engine was not heating up very well, basically if I let it idle for a long time it might heat up, but when I'd turn on the heat or drive anywhere it would cool down and I'd get no heat. So, I measured the resistance (I can't remember what it was then) and I replaced the ECTS. I measured the resistance of the new ECTS and it was about 4 kohms (or the like, I can't remember that either). Anyway, it worked good for a dew days, but now it still takes a long time to heat up and sometimes if I turn the heat on it'll cool back down.

When I purchased the ECTS from Partsource the lady that brought it to the counter definitely slammed it on the counter. Is that bad? (I was a little shocked when she did it) Should I take it back or is there something else that would contribute to the engine not heating up very fast. (It takes at least 10 mins at about 80 km/h for it to get mildly warm).

Thanks
Most people wouldn't consider that a problem... Anywho... Did you check your heater core? Because for the heat to work up here in KS for my car the temp gauge only needs to get above C before my toes get toasty...
Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 PM

I have a 97' gxe. It has 231000 so I assume thats the main problem. Anyway it started to cut out while driving and die when I stop. Doesn't do it all the time either. Any Ideas are appreciated. If nothing else it's going to be put up for parts.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM

I have a little question. My engine was not heating up very well, basically if I let it idle for a long time it might heat up, but when I'd turn on the heat or drive anywhere it would cool down and I'd get no heat. So, I measured the resistance and I replaced the ECTS. I measured the resistance of the new ECTS and it was about 4 kohms. Anyway, it worked good for a dew days, but now it still takes a long time to heat up and sometimes if I turn the heat on it'll cool back down.

Thanks
ECTS won't affect how quickly you warm up. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open or your heater core is plugged.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM

quick question about tachometer swap i have a 97 max with the manual odometer mileage but if i want to swap it with a 98 or 99 computerized tachometer would this work or is it more to it????
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RellMaxima
quick question about tachometer swap i have a 97 max with the manual odometer mileage but if i want to swap it with a 98 or 99 computerized tachometer would this work or is it more to it????
Computerized odometer not tachometer, right? It won't work because the odometer uses the mileage that's stored on the ECU... and since it' isn't stored on the 97 ECU then it won't work.... You can have two trip functions though!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Most people wouldn't consider that a problem... Anywho... Did you check your heater core? Because for the heat to work up here in KS for my car the temp gauge only needs to get above C before my toes get toasty...
Ok, I'll look around for some heater core info!

Originally Posted by asand1
ECTS won't affect how quickly you warm up. Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open or your heater core is plugged.
The thermostat. Is that what the picture points to in the how-to section? (I believe it's labeled as ECTS, but it's definitely not). I guess either way I have drain the coolant, which is ok because it looks kinda milky. I wish had looked into this before winter. lol.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
No more Maximas...

The thermostat. Is that what the picture points to in the how-to section? (I believe it's labeled as ECTS, but it's definitely not). I guess either way I have drain the coolant, which is ok because it looks kinda milky. I wish had looked into this before winter. lol.

Thanks to both of you.
Change out the thermostat, more than likely it's stuck open.

The only thing I see in the howto thread is the thermostat replacement VQpower page, here - http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=150

Originally Posted by aackshun
Computerized odometer not tachometer, right? It won't work because the odometer uses the mileage that's stored on the ECU... and since it' isn't stored on the 97 ECU then it won't work.... You can have two trip functions though!
Incorrect. The ECU has nothing to do with the mileage on the cluster.

Originally Posted by RellMaxima
It'll bolt right in, but there's also 'more to it'. Did you search?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ter-95-no.html

Is just the first of many.

Basically, you just need to wire in the 98/99 cluster harness, run B+ to the cluster for the trip meter, and you're done.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Change out the thermostat, more than likely it's stuck open.
Gotcha. Thanks. I really appreciate your help.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 PM

sorry guys but im a newbie to this......can anyone tell how i can check how many post i have ?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by addanis01
sorry guys but im a newbie to this......can anyone tell how i can check how many post i have ?
Look next to your name.

Newbie? You've been here longer than most.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Need Help

I have a 99 max i want more power i put an injen cold air intake with k&n air filter unorthdox pulley and greddy catback but thats not enough any suggestions please help
Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I need a truck

Originally Posted by Jones99
I have a 99 max i want more power i put an injen cold air intake with k&n air filter unorthdox pulley and greddy catback but thats not enough any suggestions please help
00VI, Headers/Y-pipe, S/C, Turbo, NOS
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

can someone help me

well my factory alarm on my 97 max was working and then all of a sudden it stopped working and it wont arm itself.i dont have a keyfob so if someone can help me make it where it will start working please let me know. when i close the door on my car the alarm light that used to blink now stays solid.i dont know what happened.please if someone knows some tricks i can try to get it working i would appreciate it.thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM

I've got a problem here, whenever I start my car it will start but just die instantly. If I rev it before it dies it stays on and is fine after that but it is initial starts that just die unless revved. What could cause this? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

okay here is a really weird question. about two months ago my Speed Control Sensor went out so i have no idea how fast im going unless i keep up to traffic! anyways i tried pulling it out but it just keeps breaking. does anyone have any tricks? i tried spraying it down with some silicone spay and WD40 but still nothing! i even tried sharpening a brake drum tool to get under it and pry it out! still nothing
Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Jones99
Nothing you did is going to net you much power at all. Hell, the Injen alone is traveling backwards...

Best bang for the buck for cheap is a Y-pipe. Spend a little more, VQ35 swap.

Originally Posted by okiemaxowner
well my factory alarm on my 97 max was working and then all of a sudden it stopped working and it wont arm itself.i dont have a keyfob so if someone can help me make it where it will start working please let me know. when i close the door on my car the alarm light that used to blink now stays solid.i dont know what happened.please if someone knows some tricks i can try to get it working i would appreciate it.thanks.
Did you do anything, have anything done, or did anything happen to the car immediately prior to this new behavior?

Follow these diagnostics and report back:

Originally Posted by watson
I've got a problem here, whenever I start my car it will start but just die instantly. If I rev it before it dies it stays on and is fine after that but it is initial starts that just die unless revved. What could cause this? Thanks!
Rather common occurrence. Clean the TB and IACV, see if it helps any.

Originally Posted by paramedicsk8er
okay here is a really weird question. about two months ago my Speed Control Sensor went out so i have no idea how fast im going unless i keep up to traffic! anyways i tried pulling it out but it just keeps breaking. does anyone have any tricks? i tried spraying it down with some silicone spay and WD40 but still nothing! i even tried sharpening a brake drum tool to get under it and pry it out! still nothing
You mean the VSS? Did you remove the hold down bolt?

What do you mean keeps breaking? If it's broken, it should be easy to remove.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine or Transmisson

I have a 98 Nissan Maxima. It has over 200,000 miles my daughter wants it But I dont know whether to have the engine or transmission replace as in new or rebuilt.
I know it needs some TLC on the body (paint a little) and some interior.

Just need a legitamate mechanic in Houston to head me in the right direction.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JeffD
I have a 98 Nissan Maxima. It has over 200,000 miles my daughter wants it But I dont know whether to have the engine or transmission replace as in new or rebuilt.
I know it needs some TLC on the body (paint a little) and some interior.

Just need a legitamate mechanic in Houston to head me in the right direction.
Is there anything currently wrong with the engine or trans? If not, why rebuild/replace?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Okay so my question is concerning the quaife lsd for the 4th gen and maybe the 3rd gen. I plan on using the lsd for my car because the only difference is the spindles on the axles but I already solved that problem. However I am curious to one if anyone is selling one and two if I can start a more advanced thread specifically talking about just the lsd's for this car.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 AM

95 Maxima (rebuild)

Project daily driver! Well I purchased my maxima a couple of months ago for 400 bucks! blown head gasket at 150,000 miles, I found a replacement motor for 200 bucks with only 42,000 miles!
I am pretty new to the maxima as far as working on them but i know they have a pretty good history as far as reliability and have alot of potential to be a pretty fast little car.
Im basically just looking for a little advice on what to look for while i am in the process of ripping the motor out, and what to look for before i drop the replacement. And where to look for replacement parts and such.

I have already ordered the Rad support as it looks to have taken a pretty light hit in the front end and basically rotted out. ( i understand the rad supports were not that great)It also looks to have crinkled the front of the frame the slightest bit, i shouldnt have a problem getting that fixed at the body shop. I will be replacing the radiator and A/C condenser, ebay has some pretty good deals on those parts!
I will need to replace the exhaust, rims and tires, the entire stereo system was taken out, no speakers or head unit. Has leather interior with the moonroof and spoiler, not a bad little car pretty solid just the typical surface rust underneath.
I appreciate any input and advice, and if you happen to have any of these parts laying around and want to get rid of them please feel free to contact me. Thanks!
email: sgtboehn@hotmail.com
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM

ihave a 97 max wit 125xxx wuts the best oil filter and wut oil should i buy??
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sgtboehn
Project daily driver! Well I purchased my maxima a couple of months ago for 400 bucks! blown head gasket at 150,000 miles, I found a replacement motor for 200 bucks with only 42,000 miles!
I am pretty new to the maxima as far as working on them but i know they have a pretty good history as far as reliability and have alot of potential to be a pretty fast little car.
Im basically just looking for a little advice on what to look for while i am in the process of ripping the motor out, and what to look for before i drop the replacement. And where to look for replacement parts and such.

I have already ordered the Rad support as it looks to have taken a pretty light hit in the front end and basically rotted out. ( i understand the rad supports were not that great)It also looks to have crinkled the front of the frame the slightest bit, i shouldnt have a problem getting that fixed at the body shop. I will be replacing the radiator and A/C condenser, ebay has some pretty good deals on those parts!
I will need to replace the exhaust, rims and tires, the entire stereo system was taken out, no speakers or head unit. Has leather interior with the moonroof and spoiler, not a bad little car pretty solid just the typical surface rust underneath.
I appreciate any input and advice, and if you happen to have any of these parts laying around and want to get rid of them please feel free to contact me. Thanks!
email: sgtboehn@hotmail.com
I have a question you say you are replacing the exhaust, is this because of the rust you were talking aobut? And is there rust in your engine bay?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by itwillrun
I have a question you say you are replacing the exhaust, is this because of the rust you were talking aobut? And is there rust in your engine bay?
Well with the head gasket gone a lot of fluid was blowing out the exhaust, not to mention i believe a couple of hangers are broken because when i could get it running with the blown head gasket on acceleration it was slapping and banging around pretty good. It also looks as if it is the factory exhaust if im not mistaken.
The engine bay is pretty clean i dont see any rust. Just the under carriage as it was sitting in a yard collecting moisture!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by sgtboehn
Well with the head gasket gone a lot of fluid was blowing out the exhaust, not to mention i believe a couple of hangers are broken because when i could get it running with the blown head gasket on acceleration it was slapping and banging around pretty good. It also looks as if it is the factory exhaust if im not mistaken.
The engine bay is pretty clean i dont see any rust. Just the under carriage as it was sitting in a yard collecting moisture!
It probably is best just replacing it all than. I would recommend recoating the engine bay if possible because I do know that is a problem with nissan and a rusted strut tower isn't what you want a year after doing all the restoration work. Just wondering you were talking about it being a speedy little car what are your end plans for it, return it to factory spec or more?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by itwillrun
It probably is best just replacing it all than. I would recommend recoating the engine bay if possible because I do know that is a problem with nissan and a rusted strut tower isn't what you want a year after doing all the restoration work. Just wondering you were talking about it being a speedy little car what are your end plans for it, return it to factory spec or more?
Well first and foremost i just want to get it on the road, my lifted wrangler and 70 miles round trip back and forth to work is starting to work on my wallet a bit. Depending on how the vehicle performs and how im feeling about it, it is possible that it could see some upgrades and possibly a turbo, not sure yet only time will tell.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM

New ECTS, now it starts worse...

History: 97 auto with 146K. Had for a few months and never started right from the day I bought it. It also jerks kinda hard when stepping on/off the throttle and fumbled around when shifting at slower acceleration. Since I've had it, it's only gotten worse all around. It ran pretty smooth after starting, with a little hesitation every now and then from a dead stop. Now it hesitates more, idles rougher, and has a harder time starting. It also seems to fubmble around more when shifting sometimes.

The starting problem is like everyone elses on here: starts ok at first, starts even better after driving it (to me), then if it sits for 45 min or more, it doesn't want to start.

The codes it had at first were the knock sensor code (which was replaced with little improvement shown anywhere), and the P0150 O2 sensor code. I recently took it to the Nissan dealer for a diagnostic. Before that though I replaced the fuel filter. The codes it reads now are P0100 MAF, P0150 O2 sen, and P0600 A/T Comm Line.

The dealer also ran fuel pressure tests and told me I needed a new fuel pump and that would fix my starting problem. I replaced it with an Autozone pump (I was told this was actually a Bosch which is what came on the car. That true?) With the first one, I had worse starting problems and it stalled out after driving with no restart. I replaced it and all the clamps, and it started just a little better than before taking it to the dealer. A little. It then started a little quicker the first time in the day or after a long long time of sitting.

I read and read on here, and decided that I either needed a new ECTS or FPR. I of course went with the cheaper one and replaced it earlier this week. Now my car has an even harder time starting. It takes a long time to start the first time, and even longer after its ran and sat for 45 min. WHY IN THE WORLD would putting this new part on and replacing the old corroded one make my car run worse? I also think it may be affecting the overall performance. PLEASE HELP!!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Should I try a dealer part? I mean i'm scared as hell to pull that harness plug off again. i feel like the wires will come out or it will crumble.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:15 AM

how do i install foglights onto my 95 if i never had any. i noticed it was prewired. i have the fogs/brackets and relay. i dont have the switch. what else is needed

Last edited by riccohou; 12-10-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by riccohou
how do i install foglights onto my 95 if i never had any. i noticed it was prewired. i have the fogs/brackets and relay. i dont have the switch. what else is needed
Did you search?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...og-lights.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-fogs-gxe.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ights-gxe.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...questions.html

...etc.

Originally Posted by Aburn95
Should I try a dealer part? I mean i'm scared as hell to pull that harness plug off again. i feel like the wires will come out or it will crumble.
If the harness is all corroded and falling apart, that could very well be the issue. Replace the pigtail.

Have you checked to see what the ECU is reading from the ECTS when it's hard to start? Have you checked the start signal fuse in the interior fuse box?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:09 PM

If the harness is all corroded and falling apart, that could very well be the issue. Replace the pigtail.

Have you checked to see what the ECU is reading from the ECTS when it's hard to start? Have you checked the start signal fuse in the interior fuse box?

I don't have anything to check it with personally (ECTS that is). I have not check the start signal fuse. And could you tell me where to get a new pigtail?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!