4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN: dbm regarding exhaust system alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 05:42 AM
OG :)

I just tried wiggling my aftermarket catback and it hits my rightside of the muffler bumper cutout. Also have an aftermarket downpipe and cat- latter which seemed to push the exhaust system back even more

Can you elaborate on fixes? If not busy

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin

3) Exhaust system alignment. Annoying rattles can come from some part of the exhaust system hitting an adjacent part of the car. The exhaust system is mounted on rubber hangers, giving it some freedom to move about. When the engine is cold, grab the tailpipe and wiggle it vigorously up and down, side to side. See if this exercise can replicate the unwanted sound. Remedy: change the hangers and/or bend the metal fingers which fasten to the hangers in order to increase the clearance between exhaust pipes and car body.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth
I just tried wiggling my aftermarket catback and it hits my rightside of the muffler bumper cutout. Also have an aftermarket downpipe and cat- latter which seemed to push the exhaust system back even more

Can you elaborate on fixes? If not busy

I'm not familiar with your aftermarket exhaust parts. This response is based on general knowledge.

Raise the rear of the car and support it on sturdy jackstands. Slide under and make a visual examination of the exhaust system. Have an assistant grab the tailpipe and forcefully wiggle it up and down, left and right. You observe what part is hitting and figure out how to eliminate the problem. The techniques you might use include ...

- bending the hangers
- cutting off extraneous mounting hardware
- substituting differently-shaped rubber exhaust mounts from another make of car if they can do a better job

In short, use your five senses to determine the problem and then use your imagination to devise a remedy.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:10 PM
OG :)

Thank you sir

Can I make the catback not wiggle and stay permanently positied?

Ken

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
...*snip*The techniques you might use include ...

- bending the hangers
- cutting off extraneous mounting hardware
- substituting differently-shaped rubber exhaust mounts from another make of car if they can do a better job

In short, use your five senses to determine the problem and then use your imagination to devise a remedy. [/B]
Old 07-11-2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth
Thank you sir

Can I make the catback not wiggle and stay permanently positied?

Ken

I suppose so, but I shy away from the idea. Nissan (and all other car makers) use flexible hangers. I think this is to reduce the transmission of noise and heat from the exhaust system to the passenger cabin.