4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

driver door light wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 06:17 AM

Hey, I just added neons under my driver/pass dash, and they are on a 3way switch. My idea was, 1 position is off, 1 position is on when there is a key in the car, and 1 position they come on when the doors are open...

first two work haha, its the door one Ihave trouble with.

I went to the door, pulled out the light on it, and looked at the wires... I traced the wire I found back to the grommet in the door hinge - I pulled out the grommet and spliced in my new "power" wire for the neons. I ran it all, set it up, and when the switch is on that position, they are on ALL THE TIME... are the door lights triggered by a ground switch, not a power switch ? If not, where can I find the power wire to the light in the door?
Old 07-11-2001, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by hlh0501
Hey, I just added neons under my driver/pass dash, and they are on a 3way switch. My idea was, 1 position is off, 1 position is on when there is a key in the car, and 1 position they come on when the doors are open...

first two work haha, its the door one Ihave trouble with.

I went to the door, pulled out the light on it, and looked at the wires... I traced the wire I found back to the grommet in the door hinge - I pulled out the grommet and spliced in my new "power" wire for the neons. I ran it all, set it up, and when the switch is on that position, they are on ALL THE TIME... are the door lights triggered by a ground switch, not a power switch ? If not, where can I find the power wire to the light in the door?
My information source is the '99 Maxima factory service manual. Your '95 may be wired differently.

The '99 step lamps have +12 volts at all times. The circuit is completed when the Body Control Unit provides a ground. All door switches are connected to the BCU.

I don't think the wire you are seeking exists. I can't find one in the wiring diagram.

On another subject... where do you stand with regard to your automatic to 5-speed conversion project?
Old 07-11-2001, 07:55 AM

Thanks dan

for the help... looks like I will just use the ground off the door wires then for my neons (make them always have power and only ground out at certain times... I realllly like the door open idea...

5spd conversion, well it is a GO one way or the other.. I am waiting to hear back from a guy locally to see if it can be done here in louisville, ky (so I dont have to drive 800 miles each way to get it done...)

I found all the parts for 650$ local (a friend of our fam owns a car business so he gets everything at dealer cost) and he is trying to get me a good reputable experienced mechanic in the next hour or so I should know if we are gonna do it here or not. If he doesn't get anyone, I am going to jacksonville, fl this friday to have it done (that is a 100% go, so there is no question... parts are there, and so is the experienced guys to do it). I'll keep you posted, thanks for all your help!