4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clunking in front end >>??what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Clunking in front end >>??what is it?

I've noticed in the past couple weeks a little 'clunk' in the front end, seems to be when turning moreso when turning left, and when turning and letting the clutch out(into gear) it makes the noise nearly everytime. Now I'm noticing it a bit on bumps as well.
I just put the summer tires and rims back on, the RS driveshaft has a little bit of play in and out(...maybe an 1/8"). I'm wondering what would cause the in and out play, and also if this is likely the 'clunking' I'm hearing. Anyone with any experience please chime in. Also, does the driveshaft on the right side come out of the diff or what? Not well versed on the car yet. Thanks in advance.
EDIOT> driveshaft goes directly into the transaxel.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:21 AM

Not sure about the second part of your question. But, It could be a few things. First I would check ou sway bar linkage. look for excessive rusting. look at the bushings and see if they are somewhat loose. I would just go ahead and change them since they have to be changed eventually and they are not an expensive part. Second. Jack up the car. grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 position. attempt to move the wheel. then grab at the 3 and 9 position. rock back and forth again. movement in both = a bad bearing (that should hum instead of clunk). movement left and right only (3 and 9) = bad tie rod )inner and/or outter) that should have a shaky steering wheel and possibly a clunk. movement up and down only (12 and 6) = bad ball joint which would clunk going over bumps but not so much when turning (although still possible). I would bet it is the sway bar linkages but inspect the rest to be sure. Do not just go out and buy some Energy suspension bushings and reuse the other old hardware. the ball/socket goes bad on those as well so replace everything. (you will see what I mean when you look at it).
Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the advice man, still wondering what would allow in and out play on the axel, but I'm gonna go out this morning and fully inspect all components with the wheels on.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Slim chance it could be the strut mount/bearing. It is surprising how much noise those little plastic bearings can make when they go bad.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Thanks for the advice man, still wondering what would allow in and out play on the axel, but I'm gonna go out this morning and fully inspect all components with the wheels on.
not sure what you mean by play? play betweent he axle and the spindle? play from the axle and the tranny? or do you mean you pull the front portion and it moves slightly? if the last, there will be play between the 2 sections of the axle. If the first or the last, then there may be a problem.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 AM

the play is 'in and out' by that I mean from the Transverse to the spindle, hard to tell exactly where the play lies, the spindle end or the transverse end. I would think if the play enlies in the spindle end I would be hearing a bearing as well. Either way I'm going out right now to inspect it.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 AM

Ok upon inspection: The 'in and out' play on the axels seems to be on the spindle side, possibly in the outer u-joints? The control arms seem to be fine, sway bar seems ok but as suggested I'll price the bushings out, replace them at a later date. The only issue I see is the outer tie rod ends, the 'swing' seems excessive but I cannot find a spec on them. The swing is more excessive on the left side. * By swing I mean if you put your hand on the shaft of the tie rod and turn it. the tie rod end will swing/pivot front to back, this is a normal motion I'm sure but the left side does seem a bit excessive. Still lost on the clunking here, the onlything I can think now is the tie rod?? or maybe the axel outer u-joint, but I cannot pin point it, any more advice?
thanks for the help so far 2da mizzax
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 AM

This will sound like it's out of left field, but it happened to me. If it's a small clunk when starting and stopping, and a few low speed turns, check the brakes. My caliper pin was starting to sieze and wasn't letting go of the rim properly when I was moving. Took me ages to diagnose it but once I'd lubed the pin everything was fine again.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Props for the post above, def. something easy to overlook. However, you have play in your cv joint that is not supposed to be there. Time to replace your axle. Tip, if it is difficult to seperate it from the halfshaft bearing, which it almost always is, it's usually easier to unbolt the entire support bracket and deal with splitting it afterwards, three 14mm bolts that are nearly impossible to see but not that difficult to remove with deep and shallow 1/2" drive sockets.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by davey6693
This will sound like it's out of left field, but it happened to me. If it's a small clunk when starting and stopping, and a few low speed turns, check the brakes. My caliper pin was starting to sieze and wasn't letting go of the rim properly when I was moving. Took me ages to diagnose it but once I'd lubed the pin everything was fine again.

Dude thats a damn good reply. i wouldnt have though of that. The rear calipers are all fuaked up I already know this just havent had the $ to replace them. I'll have to remove all of them and pull them apart this weekend. Then I'll see if its still making the noise. Thanks again man I would have overlooked this as a possibility. I don't doubt there is still some front end issues starting but I dont think anything I'm gonna worry about if the clunking is in the calipers.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

read the pads when you remove/clean/lube the calipers. If it's bad enough to cause your clunk you will see significantly uneven wear on the pads,
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 PM

my auto was doing that, one of the rear calipers was seized. Replaced the caliper and the noise has dissapeared.