4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clutch problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

clutch problems?

a couple days ago my clutch went to the floor and stayed there. It was not a good day considering i was in rush hour traffic and no way to change gears. So even though i didnt see a leak anywhere i replaced the master cylinder and slave cylinder assuming one of them had to be the culpret. well that wasnt the problem. clutch still stuck to floor. it looks like the fork or throwout bearing is messed up. It's looking like i am going to have to pull the trans. Any suggestions from my fellow org members?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM

when that happened to me it was the clutch line. so i put in a ss line i got from someone on the forum. try checking that.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I have a perfect solution for you...
This is EXACTLY what happened to me a few mths back and I had to tow in my car twice!
First, they replaced the master, slave cylinder, adjust the pedal... worked about a week and same sh*t happened... clutch pedal dropped down to floor and I could not shift! &$#@
Second time, they flushed & filled the tranny gear oil and checked the line and everything... could not find the problem.

Well, they could not find the problem and I didn't know what to do.
My clutch pedal felt stiff and I thought I should apply little bit of grease onto the piston behind the clutch pedal and see what happens (sorry I don't know what they called).
Son of *****! it worked 100% and my clutch pedal never go down to floor and it also feels nice and smooth!
Try to put some grease onto the cylinder piston looking thing behind the clutch pedal!
If you need some more info then E-mail me at kwelhand @ yahoo.com
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by quique
when that happened to me it was the clutch line. so i put in a ss line i got from someone on the forum. try checking that.

I already have a ss clutch line. no leaks. The fork that the slave cylinder pushes doesnt look straight. almost looks like it hits the transmission housing.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

again, try my grease trick... it should solve your problem.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM

in that case, sorry i cant be of any more help. hope its not too big of a problem you got there.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM

tried the grease trick but it didnt help. it is definitely something with the throwout bearing or release lever. when i removed the dust boot around the release lever, i can see the lever isnt all the way on. i cant really tell if the throwout bearing is damaged or te release lever is bent but it is definitely crooked. looks like transmission needs to come out. ....this sucks...
I just replaced my clutch a little over a year ago so everything is pretty much new. is there any seals/gaskets i should replace when i pull the trans even though they are all not that old?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:15 PM

if the fork bent that would be your problem right there... although, the fork should not have bent unless there was higher than usuall resistance to releasing the clutch, which means that the TOB may in fact be the problem. Either way I think you're hosed on having to pull the tranny. Not something I want to do unless I know for sure that the problem is in there!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:04 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by sickmen
again, try my grease trick... it should solve your problem.
gressing that shaft wil not fix 99% of the the clutch problems out there.......it is either you mast or slave cylinder, or a very common problem is the rubber clutch line that leaks....mine has a slow leak right now and it makes it where ihave to pump it to regain pressure.

check if your line is leaking and check how much fluid you have