4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Damn, I hate body shops. . . (vent)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 03:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok well, I am not sure whos fault this is, but I know the that it is both the body shop's and the dealership they are working with to fix my car. But I was supposed to get my car back today as long as the cornor next to the turn signal came in. . . I don't onsider this a hard part to obtain, but it still isn't in, and now they just realized that they have to order the fog lamp also. . . So now instead of getting my car back today like I was expecting, I now have to wait until probably monday at the earliest. . . I have now been without my car for about a month now, and everything I guess is put back to normal. . . Why is it so hard to get 2 simple light assemblies? This doesn't make sense to me, They have had it for a month, shouldn't they have been able to tell what all needed to be replaced? Oh well, I guess it is better to not have a car for an extra couple of days than have one that is put together poorly.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:14 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Cant you drive your car without the lights? Pay them half and take the car...tell em to call you when the parts are in.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:32 PM

That's BS !

The parts department can get part 'next day' if they want to. It costs them more for shipping so they prefer to order them slow boat... but if you rattle the cage a little I'll bet you can get them to speed it up.

Also, have you seen the car ? Is it all polished out and ready to go ? Or are they just using the lights as an excuse so they don't have to admit the rest of the car is not done as promised ?

Bob
Old 07-12-2001, 07:18 PM

They are full of B.S. I was looking for a clearance light and found one in a day....I am sure body shops have more pull and connections they prob haven't even ordered it.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:38 PM

This exact problem (body shop, turn signal and all) is precisely what led me to start doing my own repairs whenever practical.

I was getting a nice gash on the side of my car fixed and my first mods put on simultaneously. "Stillen parts aren't in... stillen parts aren't in... stillen parts aren't in..."

Nothing had been done, I had no car for two weeks. Finally, I took the car back.

"Call me when you're ready to fix the damage, do that, give me back the car, and call me when the damn Stillen parts are in."

So I get a call "Bring her on Monday," so I brought her on a Monday. It's Thursday. Nothing's happened. I go yell at the owner.

"Oh, George [the guy who usually works on my car] crashed DUI and he was in jail for a couple days." (I was real impressed with that.) "I bailed him out yesterday. He'll have it done for you in two days or he'll go back to jail. Bring it in now." So I brought it in then. Sure enough, the car was done in two days.

A month goes by, no mods. I finally say, "Georgie, can you call the damn stillen guy and see what's going on?"

"Oops, silly me, I guess I forgot to order them..."

@$@%##@$

So when the Stillen parts finally come (and they were painted THAT DAY and on the car by the next, believe me) I had a cracked taillight. "Leave it, we'll take care of that."

"How much, and WHEN?"

"A hundred and forty for the lens, from Frost Nissan [the nearest dealership] in 'a couple of days.'"

(It was my experience that 'A couple of days' meant "Kiss your car goodbye.)

"Fvck it, George, I want my car back." I took the car. I bought two clears from SprintMax for slightly more than one orange cost from Frost. I was gonna put them in myself but Sprint put them on for me "since he was already around to bring them by." (Good guy!)

Every other mod I've done has been by my own hands. Screw it. Buy a book, figure it out, borrow the tools, FIX THE DAMN CAR. If it were that hard, dumb people couldn't service them!

And based on the performance of a lot of these shops, there are a lot of dumb people servicing them.

Shayyadin
Old 07-12-2001, 07:49 PM

A little OT, but...

I just bought a complete rear light for a '99 for $78 at a dealer that does _not_ discount off list. The lens by itself was $85, don't ask me why it's more.

Still, that's a *long* way from $140. That's a serious gouge.

Bob
Old 07-13-2001, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
Ok well, I am not sure whos fault this is, but I know the that it is both the body shop's and the dealership they are working with to fix my car. But I was supposed to get my car back today as long as the cornor next to the turn signal came in. . . I don't onsider this a hard part to obtain, but it still isn't in, and now they just realized that they have to order the fog lamp also. . . So now instead of getting my car back today like I was expecting, I now have to wait until probably monday at the earliest. . . I have now been without my car for about a month now, and everything I guess is put back to normal. . . Why is it so hard to get 2 simple light assemblies? This doesn't make sense to me, They have had it for a month, shouldn't they have been able to tell what all needed to be replaced? Oh well, I guess it is better to not have a car for an extra couple of days than have one that is put together poorly.
My car is still in the shop too! Tuesday will be 30-days and my insurance will stop paying form my rental...they seem to be having problems re-wiring all the torn wires from when the bumper and headlights were ripped out (so they say)...Every week, it's the same thing :"should be ready sometime early next week, we just need to do...call back in a few days..." I'm getting tired of beating this rental Saturn around. I feel for you.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:05 AM

Aren't mechanics suppose to be professionals??? Imagine a doctor saying all you **** is mangled, it's gonna take me 30 days to fix.
Old 07-14-2001, 06:09 PM

30 days ? That's absurd. Make your complaits known.

Complain to the dealership's general manager. They are not working on your car full tiem or it would be done. Insist that they have an actual mechanic do the wiring - apparently the body shop doesn't have anyone qualified. Be aware that each area of the dealership runs independantly so the body shop is going to howl when you want service to finish the job. Insist that they provide a loaner due to their total incompetance. Remind them that you're a *customer* !

Bob