4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Noise from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Noise from the rear

Just happened out of no where. When I ake left hand turns, going about 15mph I get a rustling noise. Sounds like metal is hitting metal, kind of like worn out brake pads. But Im not stepping on the brakes at all, and it only happens when i take the turns somewhat quickly. Its a rustling noise, and its very loud. It is coming from the back passenger side wheel section. Anyone have any suggestions other than turning slower?

Edit: i don't think its the dust shield, it looks fine to me.
Old 05-10-2007 | 09:15 PM
VQ30 DE T

I had the same problem with my rear brakes
Try
Inspect/Clean/adjust first
Old 05-10-2007 | 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by accordingtou
I had the same problem with my rear brakes
Try
Inspect/Clean/adjust first

What should I adjust? IS it possible that they could be making noise even if Im not stepping on the brakes?
Old 05-10-2007 | 09:32 PM
VQ30 DE T

When I replaced my rear brakes I also installed new hardware
I lubricated the pins and pad retainers.Then I adjusted the caliper pistons so the pads would drag slightly on the rotors.After a month or two the noises appeared (while cornering or braking lightly). I adjusted the the caliper piston again till the pads were touching the rotors. This solved my problem Maybe it will solve yours
Old 05-10-2007 | 09:36 PM

I lubricated the pins and pad retainers.Then I adjusted the caliper pistons so the pads would drag slightly on the rotors.After a month or two the noises appeared (while cornering or braking lightly). I adjusted the the caliper piston again till the pads were touching the rotors. This solved my problem Maybe it will solve yours

Thanks, I'm gonna check that tomorrow. If I have time I'll bring it by a mechanic and see if he can pin point exactly what the noise is. Even though it doesnt happen all the time, its pretty embarrassing.
Old 05-11-2007 | 04:39 PM

wait what?? why did u not push the piston all the way in? and why do you want you pads dragging??? this makes no sense to me...
Old 05-11-2007 | 04:49 PM
VQ30 DE T

Wtf.lol

Originally Posted by willard00
wait what?? why did u not push the piston all the way in? and why do you want you pads dragging??? this makes no sense to me...
Of course it doesnt make sense to you . Note I told him this procedure worked for me . Seeing that I have 3 4th gens Iam pretty familiar with this issue I was just trying to help Can you understand that?When you full retract the piston it leaves a noticable gap between the pad& piston(depending on which brakes you use.
Old 05-11-2007 | 05:38 PM

yea i got some noise out of my rear end as well.....

especially after some wendy's chilli
Old 05-11-2007 | 06:04 PM

I have the same problem, Well I think, but I get a noise even when I am just driving, like over bumpy road or what not, sounds like my trunk is loose and is rattling or my spoiler is hitting my trunk a little, it sounds like my car is farting, it is such an embarrasing noise, I hate it, and it does it all the time, when driving at low speeds or when I brake?
Old 05-11-2007 | 08:03 PM

Of course it doesnt make sense to you . Note I told him this procedure worked for me . Seeing that I have 3 4th gens Iam pretty familiar with this issue I was just trying to help Can you understand that?When you full retract the piston it leaves a noticable gap between the pad& piston(depending on which brakes you use.
no need to be a bag of sh*t about it. i was simply saying that having your pads drag is not normal, so why would you want to do it? if you went to a shop and they gave you your car back with the pads draggin im sure youde complain. i deffinatly would. if making the pads drag helped your issue, maybe you didnt reinstall the pins or other hardware. or maybe its time for new ones. but having your pads drag is NOT a normal condition.

edit-nevermind you said u installed new hardware. so in that case...maybe it wasnt installed right? i dunno.all im saying is dragging pads=not normal and quicker wear.
Old 05-11-2007 | 09:21 PM
VQ30 DE T

Oops

no need to be a bag of sh*t about it. i was simply saying that having your pads drag is not normal, so why would you want to do it? if you went to a shop and they gave you your car back with the pads draggin im sure youde complain. i deffinatly would. if making the pads drag helped your issue, maybe you didnt reinstall the pins or other hardware. or maybe its time for new ones. but having your pads drag is NOT a normal condition.

edit-nevermind you said u installed new hardware. so in that case...maybe it wasnt installed right? i dunno.all im saying is dragging pads=not normal and quicker wear.
Sorry for being a turd I thought you were being a smart a@#.They are like adjusting rear drums you adjust till there is a slight drag.I guess we all were tought different techniques.
Old 05-11-2007 | 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlkMaxNCa
I have the same problem, Well I think, but I get a noise even when I am just driving, like over bumpy road or what not, sounds like my trunk is loose and is rattling or my spoiler is hitting my trunk a little, it sounds like my car is farting, it is such an embarrasing noise, I hate it, and it does it all the time, when driving at low speeds or when I brake?
Defintaley a different noise than I have. Maybe yours is from a broken exhaust hanger, or heat shield.

Mine isnt a rattle, its a rustling- Like a metal jingling noise (kind of like loos change). I couldnt get it checked out today, I was sick. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-12-2007 | 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by XtinctWS6
Defintaley a different noise than I have. Maybe yours is from a broken exhaust hanger, or heat shield.

Mine isnt a rattle, its a rustling- Like a metal jingling noise (kind of like loos change). I couldnt get it checked out today, I was sick. Thanks for the help so far.
now that you describe it like that man, i know exactly what youre talking about. cause my car just started this noise too. i too have no idea what it is. sounds to me like its not the rear end but more towards the middle of the car. i havnt really payed much attention to it though.

it kind of sounds like there are a couple washers loose on a screw and clangin together right?
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:15 PM

now that you describe it like that man, i know exactly what youre talking about. cause my car just started this noise too. i too have no idea what it is. sounds to me like its not the rear end but more towards the middle of the car. i havnt really payed much attention to it though.

it kind of sounds like there are a couple washers loose on a screw and clangin together right?

Yup pretty similar to that.

I noticed that the noise stops when I step on the brakes, could this be a caliper or a rotor problem? i would think it is, but I dont understand why it doesn it ONLY when I turn left or hit dips in the road. Anyone?
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:36 AM

Yeah, I checked that already, not a exhaust hanger or heat shield issue...I still think it might be my trunk or spoiler, the trunk seems a little loose, I can push on it and it moves, It shouldn't move at all when I lean on it right?? Do all the maximas seem to have a rattle from the rear end?? It seems like a lot of people have had an issue of this sort......
Old 05-13-2007 | 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my car had that problem as well. the rustling noise that you're talking about. my rear struts were totally trashed. 1,100 dollars later, no more rustling/squeaking(which is how i would have described it). now my car handles better, and if i'm turning more than 50 mph and hit a slight bump, my tail doesn't swing.
Old 05-13-2007 | 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by nateap88
my car had that problem as well. the rustling noise that you're talking about. my rear struts were totally trashed. 1,100 dollars later, no more rustling/squeaking(which is how i would have described it). now my car handles better, and if i'm turning more than 50 mph and hit a slight bump, my tail doesn't swing.

So you think that is what it could be, my rear struts?? I might have to double check that, I'm sure I have already checked those, but this has been a never ending battle, no one has been able to exactly pin point it.......So it cost u 1100 dollars for new struts?? WOW
Old 05-14-2007 | 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BlkMaxNCa
So you think that is what it could be, my rear struts?? I might have to double check that, I'm sure I have already checked those, but this has been a never ending battle, no one has been able to exactly pin point it.......So it cost u 1100 dollars for new struts?? WOW
well, i got kyb's which are performance. and the 300 dollars for labor. you can probably get it much cheaper. if noone is able to pinpoint what the noise is with you , then it's most likely not the struts. i asked my friend (who knows a fair amount about cars) what the sound was when i had it. he simply pushed down on my back end (this can be misinterpreted) and said, "it's your struts." just keep in mind that by this time in your cars lifetime, things are bound to start squeaking. the window switch on my passanger side rattles. :/
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by nateap88
well, i got kyb's which are performance. and the 300 dollars for labor. you can probably get it much cheaper. if noone is able to pinpoint what the noise is with you , then it's most likely not the struts. i asked my friend (who knows a fair amount about cars) what the sound was when i had it. he simply pushed down on my back end (this can be misinterpreted) and said, "it's your struts." just keep in mind that by this time in your cars lifetime, things are bound to start squeaking. the window switch on my passanger side rattles. :/
sounds like youre talkin about more of a squeak than the noise we're talkin about. cause if i push down on my read end i get a squeak from my springs.
Old 05-14-2007 | 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

sounds like youre talkin about more of a squeak than the noise we're talkin about. cause if i push down on my read end i get a squeak from my springs.
it was the struts. and at the time, i best described it as a squeak but now that "wrustling" has been brought up, that's how i would best describe. but it's probably not his struts. if struts went out, your car wouldn't seem stable passed 80 and if some fat person got in the back seat, the rear would lower more than usual. but just ignore me. like i said, if it was the struts, it would be OBVIOUS
Old 05-14-2007 | 05:05 PM

Im on K-Sport coilovers- and its not a suspension noise. It is definately brake related(at least thats what I think). A friend of mine had a similar problem on his 96 maxima; he doesnt remember what it was "just something with the rotor".

My pads in the back look kind of low, but would this cause the rustling? It isnt a squeeling noise like it makes when you have low life on the pads though. The noise has started when I go straight too, but stops when I hit the brakes. Could it have something to do with the pads/caliper/rotor?

Sorry I keep asking, Im pretty pressed time wise and cant get this checked out until after the 25th of May.
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:08 PM

It is definately brake related(at least thats what I think).
hmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by gatorsteeler
hmmmmmmmmmm.
Better wording, "I definately think it's brake related." lol I dont know, Im trying to think of a way to fix it. I'll try and figure something out wednesday if I can. I just dont know where to start
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:18 PM

Im gonna try and change my pads tomorrow. I spoke with my friend, and he told me they ended up just changing the pads. When I get it done, I'll post an update. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:42 PM
maxima985spd

yo i like that picture coming out of the driveway ^^^
Old 05-16-2007 | 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
yo i like that picture coming out of the driveway ^^^

Thank you..
Old 05-18-2007 | 05:40 PM

UPDATE: Attempted to change the pads today, and the pistons seized. So I'm not 100% sure what the noise was. The pads were pretty bad, and the rotor needs to be resurfaced. I should get my car back tomorrow, hopefully noise free. Thanks everyone