4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto tranny problems, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 01:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi:

The problem I have is that my transmission is slipping when it shifts from second to third gear. The shift takes longer than the other gears. One other thing, when I'm driving around 60-70 MPH and floor it with the car in third gear and have the OD button pressed, I can also feel the tranny slip a little.

My first question is, why is my tranny slipping in third gear? When I go to the shop, what should I look out for? How long can I drive my car like this? Is there any quick fix that I or a mechanic can do to solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2001, 03:13 AM

Have you checked yer ATF levels, or smelled them? If it smells burned.. or doesnt look pretty clear red.. time to flush/drain&fill..

I know when i put like 5.5qts into my tranny, and it STILL wasnt nuff.. i was slippin into neutral between gears a lil.

[5.5qts for vb & tranny cooler .. tons of fluid came out]
Old 07-13-2001, 03:23 AM

Dave u racing this weekend?
Old 07-13-2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by ionicmax
Hi:

The problem I have is that my transmission is slipping when it shifts from second to third gear. The shift takes longer than the other gears. One other thing, when I'm driving around 60-70 MPH and floor it with the car in third gear and have the OD button pressed, I can also feel the tranny slip a little.

My first question is, why is my tranny slipping in third gear? When I go to the shop, what should I look out for? How long can I drive my car like this? Is there any quick fix that I or a mechanic can do to solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
I don't want to frighten you, but this is a bad sign. Take a quick look at your checking account balance. It may be time for a tranny rebuild.

There are several tests you can make with the fluid on the automatic transmission dipstick.

1) Level. It should be up to the full mark. If not, add as required.

2) Color. It should be bright red and translucent. A brown or black color is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat, and/or worn friction materials. A minty pink color is a sign of water contamination.

3) Odor. It should have a clean oily smell. A burned odor is a sign of fluid degraded by excessive heat.

4) Feel. Wipe the dipstick with your fingers and then rub your fingers together. It should be smooth and slippery. A "gritty" feeling is a sign of worn friction materials.

Sometimes the service life of a transmission can be extended by changing the fluid. Automatic transmission fluid is loaded with detergents, so new fluid can clean the insides of the transmission. If you decide to do this, find a shop that uses the Magic Sucker Pump which removes -all- of the old fluid. An ordinary drain-and-refill changes only about half of the fluid.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys! The fluid is almost brand new, I changed it about a month ago. How much will a tranny rebuild cost me? Is there anything I can do to prolong the life of the tranny so I can save up for this repair?

I'm planing on keeping this car for a long time, so should I put some high performance parts in it? Where can I find out more about this kind of upgrades? and most importantly, how much?

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2001, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Level 10

Ok guys! I was checking out level 10's web site and I saw a Performance Transmission System kit, what would this improve over stock? and should I also get the PTS Torque Converter? I really don't know what to do, I don't know if I should just get the tranny kit, and just rebuil with that, or also get the torque converter.

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2001, 09:58 AM

... Is there anything I can do to prolong the life of the tranny so I can save up for this repair? ...
Drive gently.
Old 07-14-2001, 01:03 AM
Former Sponsor

:angel:

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Drive gently.

I'm trying not to force third gear, I'm even letting of the throttle when the tranny is going to shift from second to third gear.

So what do you think about level 10's products? What does the torque converter do? If I rebuild my tranny should I also get this upgraded?

Thank you Daniel!!
Old 07-14-2001, 07:25 AM

Automatic Transmission options

I'm trying not to force third gear, I'm even letting of the throttle when the tranny is going to shift from second to third gear.

So what do you think about level 10's products? What does the torque converter do? If I rebuild my tranny should I also get this upgraded?

Thank you Daniel!!
If you do normal driving you need nothing more than a stock transmission. If you drive aggressively, tow a trailer, live in a mountainous region, or drive through the deserts, you should have an auxiliary automatic transmission fluid cooler. If you race on a drag strip then you need a modified control valve body, a beefed-up transmission which can tolerate repeated wide-open-throttle runs, and a high stall speed torque converter. The torque converter will not last longer than a stock torque converter and will increase fuel consumption in street driving.

I don't want to say anything specifically about the Level 10 products because I have no experience with them.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:41 PM

Level 10 Tranny

Everything I have heard about Level 10 has been
positive. Note that your cost for a full transmission
job from Level 10, including VB recalibration and
Torque Convertor will be in excess of $4,000. This
does NOT include shipment of the car to their shop.
It does include all of their costs.

Your price will go down a LITTLE if you only send
them the tranny and they mod it and send it back.
They also recommend a tranny in good working order
as the starting point, so if your tranny is going
bad, they might not be the solution you're looking
for...

Give them a call for the quote. They are very friendly
and do a lot of the racing trannys for all makes.

BB
Old 07-14-2001, 11:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Level 10 Tranny

Thanks for the info brittb!! I'm planing on calling them next week, and I'm going to make a list of all of my questions.

If I do decide on going this route, I would only buy the parts from them, and would have an independent shop install the parts.

Thanks again!!