4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help On Big 3ish Upgrade...being done tomarrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Need Help On Big 3ish Upgrade...being done tomarrow

Ok. my OEM alternator is out. I have a 220A alternator am gonna try to put in. I also want to replace the battery terminals, and all wires to 1/0 AWG (grounds and connectors.)

I wanted to save this for when i wa ready to put all my "junk" in the car...
anyway
I don't have anything but stock equipment in the car right now, and the battery is about 4 days old.

So my qesutions are, can i just pick up a $3 or $4 set of terminals for the battery for now from a autoparts store,

do they have to read the same guage as the wire? Like i saw some regually terminals with two bolts for the wiring, no wire reading, can i use that for the next two months?

The directions say nothing about the engine block wire being chaged, should i upgrade that too?

help a brudda out!! pleze

I have to drive my girls civic for now. SO i just want it up and running , but becasue i'm using a altinator thats rated double the power of the OEM, i want to know whats the best way to go here...
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 AM

i dont understand why u got a 220 amp alternator if ur using stock equipment.. but what ever...

use 0 gauge wire for everyting aka... from alternator to the battery, block to ground, and battery to ground..

regular terminals should be ok... if u dont wanna change the wires then just clean up the grounds to each side and you should be good...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 AM

good lookin out.

oh, i'm only putting thisd in becasue i have it, and my oem alt blew. might as well use this sincei plann on putting it in a month or so from now
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Boosted Panda

I recently upgraded to an 220amp alternator.
If your going to go with 0 awg then the terminals need to have openings that will accept the 0 awg as well. After market terminals would be the best way to go,they have additional output areas so you can always add additional power outputs to other devices. Same with the negative terminal.
As far as the big three go, its the wire from the battery's negative terminal to the vehicle chassis, then ground wire from the engine block to the vehicle chassis, and the power wire from the alternator output to the battery's positive terminal.
Its recommended to use an inline fuse between the alt and battery in the event of a spike from a malfunctioning alternator to avoid over charging the battery.