4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel injector catastrophy! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 PM

Fuel injector catastrophy! Help!

Ok so my cylinder 4 wasnt firing, no gas, checked the injector... definately shot/clogged.

Because i didnt want to go right ahead and buy a new one (spendy) I decided to take it out, soak it in cleaner, compressor it off and throw it in, which would hopefully unclog it and allow it to work again.

To test if it was spraying, I took it off the line and turned it over just to see if any fuel in it would make it squirt if it could. I tried to start it but the car wouldnt go, im sure its a fuel line pressure fault sensor?...

Now I put the injector back in, and started it up... no go, barely turned, not getting gas, something is up.

It finially started with a backfire and black soot shotting from the exhaust. It idled REALLY low 500rpm and would sometimes die again.

Currently my car is still difficult to start requiring that I give it some gas to start and my CEL is on...

Now I ask... what did I do? I took it out, cleaned it and put it in, now im having major car problems! Why is my car acting like this now?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:53 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Check what the code is and go from there. But sounds like a fuel problem, make sure your lines are put back and you plugged back in any sensors you may have disconnected to get to the injectors. Double check maf plug.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:02 PM

His was front bank and he shouldn't have had to unplug anything to get to it. Maybe the injectors stuck open now? Corrosive chemicals in whatever you used to clean it, a bad reinstall or removal that damaged it....

You should definately replace the injector. You could probably get one on here for only 20 bucks or so. Did you hammer the injector back in? Put the injector cap on and retighten it down with screws until its flush.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Ill pull codes on monday... but yeah, i think ill just have to go for a new injector.

What would cause the backfires? Im just trying to think of something that would make it doing what its doing. Do you think trying to start the car with no fuel pressure would overrun something like the fuel pump? I dunno, im stumped, hopefully the codes will tell me all i need to know.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainFill
Ill pull codes on monday... but yeah, i think ill just have to go for a new injector.

What would cause the backfires? Im just trying to think of something that would make it doing what its doing. Do you think trying to start the car with no fuel pressure would overrun something like the fuel pump? I dunno, im stumped, hopefully the codes will tell me all i need to know.

Too much fuel would do that. The black smoke, the backfiring from running way too rich. That's why I guessed the injector was stuck open or damaged that way. Hey... you did pull out the fuel pump fuse and drained out the fuel pressure before taking out the injector right? If not, did you drop a ton of fuel down the manifold when you pulled it out? That could be responsible as well.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:55 PM

btw... I only come on this site when I have a problem with my max... I try to do my part to help out others too with their issues while I'm here but I'm not a forum regular. I dont know if I'll be on much now that I finished my work with my cv axles/upper manifold/rear bank injectors so just pm me if nobody else is helping you out alright? That way it'll just go to my email and I'll see it even if I dont log in here.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the input. No i did not relieve the pressure before I removed the injector. Now that i think about it... it makes sense... too much fuel. Its still starting really poorly but the car runs the same as it did before this whole thing. Right now im just worried about getting stranded somewhere because my car wont start.