4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

GL-4 Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 AM

GL-4 Gear Oil

My manual trany is leaking oil. From searching on here I've learned that I must use GL-4 Oil because GL-5 will eat my tranny. I've called every autoparts and dealership around and no place has GL-4 in stock, only GL-5.

1) Is there a good place online to buy GL-4 Gear Oil?

2) Should I drain my old oil before replacing or should I just top off whats in there?

THANKS
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 AM

The Pep Boys in my area has Royal Purple GL-4. They can prolly get it for ya in a day or two or direct you to the closest location that has it. Although, I think most peeps on here swear by Armisol (sp?)...you can get anything online if you have time to wait for it.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 AM

My Pep Boys didnt have GL4 but I didnt ask them to special order it. I asked at Advance Auto and they said they couldnt. I'll go back to Pep Boys. thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Kevlo for President

Buy the amsoil GL-4 fluid from the group deal forum. I am sure it is better than royal purple
Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM

So replace all 5 qrts or just top off whats in there?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM

I have been getting Quaker State GL4 75w90 locally at Mr. Lube. Some of them carry Pennzoil, some cary Quaker State and some carry both.

I just found out recently that the local Pennzoil quick lube joints carry both Quaker State and Pennzoil GL4 75w90 as well.

I don't think Mr. Lube is a US franchise. Try a Pennzoil quick lube location and see if they have it.

If you are leaking gear oil there is no sense spending the bucks for Amsoil or Red Line.

I can understand the problem you are dealing with. I can't find a GL4 dino gear oil locally at any stealership, Canadian Tire, NAPA, etc. etc....the transmission shops don't even have any.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

O reily's auto parts carry gl4.They only keep about 5 to 6 quarts of the weight you need in the store at a time.I have had to drop my tranny twice in 3 days so make sure you get enough because it takes them about a week to get more in if they are out.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Jimothy12
So replace all 5 qrts or just top off whats in there?

Replace all 5
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Replace all 5 quarts with a mineral based GL-4, synthetic will "slip" past your leak quite a bit faster. Fix the leak for sure, it's probably leaking from the transaxle seal at the CV joint, as that seams to be the most common spot.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Check for play in the drive axle. The OP might have differential carrier bearing wear and a new seal won't resolve the problem with the leak.

Originally Posted by Peebs187
Replace all 5 quarts with a mineral based GL-4, synthetic will "slip" past your leak quite a bit faster. Fix the leak for sure, it's probably leaking from the transaxle seal at the CV joint, as that seams to be the most common spot.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 PM

I got GL-4 from the local Napa store. 1 store had it in stock, another said they could order it. Comes in 5gal bucket.
Jae
Old 05-30-2007, 05:23 AM

That's exactly where mine is leaking. I only plan to have the car for another year. What is the most cost affective way to fix this?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Assuming the drive axle seal is ok, the most cost effective way to fix this is to put a piece of cardboard down, monitor the gear oil level periodically and top it up as needed.

If the differential carrier bearings are worn, the transmission has to be removed, opened up, bearings replaced (good luck in getting them shimmed properly), and re-installed.

Good luck!

That's exactly where mine is leaking. I only plan to have the car for another year. What is the most cost affective way to fix this?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM

If you get a big floor jack, a couple of jack stands, a (optional) tranny jack and a couple of friends you can change the tranny out in a weekend. (If I can do it you prolly can too). Just something to think about. If your tranny starts making a lot of noise that's a sure sign that it might be on it's way out.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Maintenance Monster

But you'd still have to source a good tranny.

Many used trannys have the same problem as the one you're taking out. Have the used tranny inspected by a tranny shop (opened up) before installing it.

Dave
Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Can you see where the leak originates? If it comes out of your transaxle at the cv joint it is probably the axle seal leaking. Look for the highest point it originates from, an obvious way to track it down. GL I am doing mine soon, just a few drops of GL-4 here and there starts to look ugly , especially at your friends house.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:20 PM

What I was getting at, is you can replace the drive axle seal and in due course the leak may return. That is a sure sign that the differential carrier bearings are worn/starting to wear.

Look for play in the driver's side axle.

Can you see where the leak originates? If it comes out of your transaxle at the cv joint it is probably the axle seal leaking. Look for the highest point it originates from, an obvious way to track it down. GL I am doing mine soon, just a few drops of GL-4 here and there starts to look ugly , especially at your friends house.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 AM

The only place I have found GL4 oil is from the Amsoil Group Deal. Amsoil only has sythetic. I thought I read to not use sythetic? Is there a substitute to GL4 Gear Oil that I could use? Maybe a thinner motor oil?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 AM

You didn't read anywhere not to use synthetic gear oil. Amsoil or Redline MT90 come highly recommended.

Gear oil is about 10 times the thickness of motor oil. Go ahead and try a thinner motor oil, lol!

The only place I have found GL4 oil is from the Amsoil Group Deal. Amsoil only has sythetic. I thought I read to not use sythetic? Is there a substitute to GL4 Gear Oil that I could use? Maybe a thinner motor oil?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 AM

Good to know. Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Bobo
You didn't read anywhere not to use synthetic gear oil. Amsoil or Redline MT90 come highly recommended.

Gear oil is about 10 times the thickness of motor oil. Go ahead and try a thinner motor oil, lol!
Actually 75w-90 gear oil has similar viscosity to 10w-30 or 10w-40 motor oil.

The main difference is ingredients: the gear oil is designed to protect the metal that is placed under great compressive loads, while the motor oil is designed to protect metal under sliding loads.

Dave
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM

So if one were to fill a leaky transaxle with 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil, are you suggesting it would leak out about as quickly as 75w90 GL4 gear oil?

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Actually 75w-90 gear oil has similar viscosity to 10w-30 or 10w-40 motor oil.

The main difference is ingredients: the gear oil is designed to protect the metal that is placed under great compressive loads, while the motor oil is designed to protect metal under sliding loads.

Dave
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM

My driver side Trans seal is leaking as well...my local Texaco Xpress Lube says my tranny holds 80w90 Gear Dope...is this the same as GL-4??
Old 06-02-2007, 06:11 AM

You are merely quoting a weight.

What you want is GL4 80w90. If that is not available, use GL4 75w90, which is what I am using (Quaker State). DO NOT use GL5, in any weight!

Originally Posted by BlackDOut98LGE
My driver side Trans seal is leaking as well...my local Texaco Xpress Lube says my tranny holds 80w90 Gear Dope...is this the same as GL-4??
Old 06-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Bobo
So if one were to fill a leaky transaxle with 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil, are you suggesting it would leak out about as quickly as 75w90 GL4 gear oil?
Probably. I guess the only factor I didn't see data for is surface tension, but in any case a leak is a leak.

Dave
Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM

I would be willing to bet that gear oil drains considerably slower than engine oil. I based my initial comment on gear oil leakage based on a comment made to me by the manager of a Mr. Lube when I had a leaky driver's side axle seal.

Obviously, they observe the time it takes for gear oil to drain daily.

Similarly, I watched when the seal was replaced on my car last month, and it took a considerable period of time for 2.5 litres of gear oil to drain out.

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Probably. I guess the only factor I didn't see data for is surface tension, but in any case a leak is a leak.

Dave
Old 06-02-2007, 02:32 PM

dumb question but is it ok to use oil that says "GL4 and GL5 approved"? I have 2 quarts of royal purple max gear - 75-90 that says that on the back and was just wondering if its ok?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Maintenance Monster

That's usually ok. It's the GL-5 only that you really should avoid.

The GL4/GL5 is chemically safe but may tend to overlubricate the synchros and degrade shifting some compared to GL4.

Dave
Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 AM

Given the choice, I would avoid that gear oil. If no GL4 were available, I would switch to Redline MT90 or Amsoil.

Originally Posted by MikeSDA
dumb question but is it ok to use oil that says "GL4 and GL5 approved"? I have 2 quarts of royal purple max gear - 75-90 that says that on the back and was just wondering if its ok?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Alex_V

I had loads of fun with this with my '90's, (3rd gen and a 240sx). I tried the napa fluid and it was ok, but I switched to pennzoil syncromesh and both of my trannys shift alot better. And I'll probably end up putting it in my 4th gen as well.

Ive gotten it at advance, autozone, and pepboys around here. There is no weight, its all the same stuff. I used it over the winter and it never got too thick. Its really good stuff.

~Alex

Old 06-03-2007, 03:10 PM

ok/just jumping in here,so what does gl-4 refer to? the weight of the oil or a composition,or both
Old 06-03-2007, 05:10 PM

I am curious. I put my car up on a lift after cleaning the transaxle, to see where my leak is originating. I see it coming from the passengers side cv at a drop every ten seconds when the oil is hot, and see a bleed on the drivers side cv but no dripping. Never having owned a front drive until 3 months ago, I am not sure how to access the seals. I have a hoist to use, do I just need to pull the axles and cv's to access the seals? Any precautions I need to be aware of.

Regarding the synthetic, I know synthetic motor oil will leak at a greater rate than petroleum based oils, no one has any issues with the AMSoil? I read a couple posts where people had switched to AMSoil GL-4 and had a slow drip, when there had been no leak before. I haven't read anything like that about Redline. Does Royal Purple make a GL-4?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:13 PM
No more Maximas...

I am curious. I put my car up on a lift after cleaning the transaxle, to see where my leak is originating. I see it coming from the passengers side cv at a drop every ten seconds when the oil is hot, and see a bleed on the drivers side cv but no dripping. Never having owned a front drive until 3 months ago, I am not sure how to access the seals. I have a hoist to use, do I just need to pull the axles and cv's to access the seals? Any precautions I need to be aware of.
Yank the axles, R&R the seals, replace axles.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Maintenance Monster

Lift the front of the car and grab one of the axles where it enters the tranny. Lift/push/pull the axle stub, and if you can make the differential move AT ALL inside the tranny, then it's not an axle seal problem. It's a bearing problem that requires a tranny rebuild. If the diff is rock solid inside the tranny then replace the seals.

Regarding the synthetic, I know synthetic motor oil will leak at a greater rate than petroleum based oils, no one has any issues with the AMSoil? I read a couple posts where people had switched to AMSoil GL-4 and had a slow drip, when there had been no leak before. I haven't read anything like that about Redline. Does Royal Purple make a GL-4?
Amsoil GL-4 and Redline MT-90 are both excellent. One is not better than the other. Royal Purple has a GL4/GL5 that is also quite good.

Dave
Old 06-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Thanks, I'll check for play in the differential. So if it is leaking from the axles only, this would not be any indication of what it is then?

I just got my green 97se (157,000) which I will enjoy more as soon as I get all the maintence up to par. Where is the best source for rebuilts or somewhere I can buy a new transmission if needed?

Also, I put about a quart of GL-5 Valvoline in last night because it was all I could get and I was low. Wish I hadn't done that before I read about it. I plan to change the fluid A.S.A.P. (I do notice the shifts stick a little now) Would 15% Lucas Oil Stabilizer be something to consider? Otherwise I will use my AMSOil membership, unless of course I am looking at a new tranny and vlsd
Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Forget about the Lucas Oil Stabilizer and get that GL5 gear oil out of there!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:51 AM

Just to update everyone, because I couldn't find GL4 gear oil anywhere in my local stores/shops, I ordered 5 qrts of Amsoil from the group deal. It costs me about $10 a quart shipped and arrived at my house 2 or 3 days later. I would highly recommend buying from the group deal if you are in need of GL4 synthetic gear oil.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 AM

GL-5 is draining out A.S.A.P, along with an inspection of the axles for play in the differential. I am putting AMSOil GL-4 in. By the way, AMSOil is just under ten bucks a quart at NAPA (about the only thing I would buy there).

I'll drive my truck or van until then.

Where/ how would it leak if it were the carrier bearings? Again this is my first front driver/ manual, so I am learning.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 AM

It would leak out of the drive axle seal. There is a greater probability that it would leak out of the left side (driver's side).

There is a possibility that you might just need a new seal. However, play in the drive axle is generally a sure sign that there is wear in the differential bearings which is a common occurence with 4th Gen Maxima 5-speed transmissions.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Maintenance Monster

To expand a bit, there is a small amount of play in the splined fit between the axle and differential. This is normal. But you can feel the difference between the axle moving ever so slightly at the splines, and the ability to use the axle to shift the position of the diff inside the transmission housing. Its play between the diff and tranny housing that is the thing to look for. The diff assy is almost the size of a volleyball and weighs around 30lb. That should help you visualize what you're using the axle to pry around.

The normal play in the diff is less than zero - the housing should be squeezing the carrier bearings - so any play at all is .004-.006" too much play.

If you drain the oil and find it loaded with metal particles that are visible to the naked eye (like tiny glitter) that's also a nearly sure sign your tranny needs rebuilt.

Dave

Quick Reply: GL-4 Gear Oil