4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!!! Antenna install

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help!!! Antenna install

So i got my new antenna today and i am trying to take out the broken one. But it is not just sliding out like it should, i think because that is where it is bent. The antenna is bent right at that base, what should i do? any suggestions? i am trying to install now, so ill be back every couple minutes to check thanks you.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM

I got the nut off and the black plastic base.....i have been giving it alot of force to get it out, but i dont want to break the motor for it. what else can i do?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

do you have the thing completely unbolted from inside the trunk? Once it's unbolted it should just slide right out. I'm not understanding what you mean by bent. The mast? Can you bend it back straight? Just be careful not to mess up your trunk/quarter panel.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by psu2fan
do you have the thing completely unbolted from inside the trunk? Once it's unbolted it should just slide right out. I'm not understanding what you mean by bent. The mast? Can you bend it back straight? Just be careful not to mess up your trunk/quarter panel.

I am just replacing the mast. The mast is bent right at the base of the antenna. im not doing anything in the trunk. Should i be?

So far all i did was take off the siliver ring and the black peice of plastic from the mast. These are the instructions i am following: http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/044565.pdf

i called nissan and they said it should just slide right out. But i am pulling as hard as i can, and nothing happends.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Fuhget About It.....

The instructions say to assist the antenna out while the radio is on, so Im guessing you might need a little force if your only replacing the mast.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by maximafrenzy
The instructions say to assist the antenna out while the radio is on, so Im guessing you might need a little force if your only replacing the mast.

A little force.....i almost pulled a muscle. BUt seriouly i pull as hard as i can and still nothing.

Would it be a big deal if i broke the antenna while pulling. What i am asking is at what point would i need to replace the whole antenna?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Fuhget About It.....

Now im sure youve done this but I have to ask, is the car on and the radio in the on position? Second, it is the mast your trying to replace? Third, is there power going to your antenna to let it move up? Try to find out why it wont let up, maybe the antenna motor is dead, check all those and get back to us.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:06 PM

Now im sure youve done this but I have to ask, is the car on and the radio in the on position? Second, it is the mast your trying to replace? Third, is there power going to your antenna to let it move up? Try to find out why it wont let up, maybe the antenna motor is dead, check all those and get back to us.

The radio is on and the antenna goes up 85% of the way up, and i help it the rest of the way. so the motor works (when i turn the radio off the antenna goes down all the way except for the first section, because it is bent(pitched) right at the base of the antenna)

Yes i am just trying to replace the mast.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Fuhget About It.....

Hey I did some searching and found this for you, see if this applies to you,

The antenna "rope" is the flexible plastic part of the telescopic mast
assembly. These instructions assume the old rope is still intact, but has
some stripped gear teeth. If the old rope is broken you will have to
remove the power antenna motor, disassemble it, and remove the broken
piece(s). That's a bigger job, but still doable by the home mechanic.

(1) Remove the antenna bezel nut. Use an antenna wrench such as Steck 21600.
For details, go to http://www.steckmfg.com/21600.htm. If you don't have
the special wrench, a pair of needle-nose pliers can be used. Cover the
paint all around the bezel nut with a soft cloth to protect the finish
against an accidental slip. Be careful!

(2) Have an assistant turn on the radio. This will cause the antenna rod
to raise (or at least, to try). Grasp the antenna rod and help it up and
all the way out of the car.

(3) Insert the new antenna rope with the gear teeth facing the rear of the
vehicle.

(4) When you feel the gear teeth begin to engage, have your assistant turn
the radio off. Gently guide the rope and mast inward as the power antenna
motor draws it down. It should pull the mast all the way down.
(5) Install the bezel nut. Tighten to 2 foot-pounds.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Thank you for searching for me. I finally removed the broken mast. yay! but now i have another problem. i get the motor to catch the rope and pull down until the begining of the antenna and then it stops because it does not fit into hole. So eighter i was sent the wrong mast OR (this happend before and my parents got it fixed at Nissan and they put something other than stock back in?)

I called nissan to see if they just replaced the mast or the motor and everything, but after being on hold for 7 minutes they said they had no record of that installation.

This is the replacement i got, so it should work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300113150100

im going to take some pics~
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Dont mind the GIANT strach i made while doing this
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Fuhget About It.....

I think thats one thing ill never get off ebay is antennas, esp. from antennaX, freakin thiefs! Make sure you have a friend helping you turn it off and you have the teeth facing the gears, it also says to try it acouple of times make sure you do all that. Go over everything in the instructions carefully.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM

I think thats one thing ill never get off ebay is antennas, esp. from antennaX, freakin thiefs! Make sure you have a friend helping you turn it off and you have the teeth facing the gears, it also says to try it acouple of times make sure you do all that. Go over everything in the instructions carefully.

Yeah, I tried a couple of times, but it didnt work, the base of the new antenna wont fit in there. I might look into how much it cost to get it shaved. An antenna mast from nissan is like 55$.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Fuhget About It.....

Listen if you cant get it to work Ill sell you a spare motor I have, I bought last year for a backup... $50 plus shipping, if your interested. I always try to find original b4 I go aftermarket. I have a rusted out front fender on ebay they are goin for $35, ill wait till i go to a junk yard and have them pull it for me.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:55 PM

i have this same problem... i could not get the remaining piece of antenna out of the socket... i just gave up and have no antenna now... my radio still works, i just have no antenna... HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO GET THE ANTENNA OUT? i pulled out the old antenna with the rope and all but since it was broken a piece stayed in, i tried EVERYTHING to try to force it out but it seems to be stuck with something inside the trunk... i gave up... any advice?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just replaced my bent antenna mast last week. Price at courtesyparts was $26.60 PN 28215-A32B004, but found a non-oem replacement at local Pepboys for around $19 and it fit perfectly. Didn't have your problem removing the mast off the car, but had to really use force to get the bezel nut off the old mast. The bent part of the mast had flattened out and jammed the nut on the mast. Possibly yours is bent worse and is jammed in the antenna base. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Fuhget About It.....

Originally Posted by Art's97i30
i have this same problem... i could not get the remaining piece of antenna out of the socket... i just gave up and have no antenna now... my radio still works, i just have no antenna... HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO GET THE ANTENNA OUT? i pulled out the old antenna with the rope and all but since it was broken a piece stayed in, i tried EVERYTHING to try to force it out but it seems to be stuck with something inside the trunk... i gave up... any advice?

I would open it up and see if theres anything in the motor, and fix it up that way.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Insert witty catch phrase here

hey, my antenna recently stopped going up and down, but the motor makes a hell of a noise. is this a bad motor or antenna mast? and do i replace it like the OP did or is it something different?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 PM

It is probably just the rope inside the mast. If your mast is not bent then just replace the rope that pulls the antenna up/down.

In my case my antenna goes down all the way except the last part (last 6" piece). I have tried using WD-40 and making it better lubricated but still have no luck. I think that the actual mast is bent and what it sounds like is that all it is is the rope inside that pulls up and down the actual mast. Now if my mast is bent, and the radio works fine...would you guys recommend even fixing it?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by kennyr
Just replaced my bent antenna mast last week. Price at courtesyparts was $26.60 PN 28215-A32B004, but found a non-oem replacement at local Pepboys for around $19 and it fit perfectly.
Can you post Pepboys' part number? Thanks.