4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Project for the weekend ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:24 PM

Project for the weekend ...

Alright ... so here's the deal ...

I've been having AC issues for a while. And with my tax return, I decided that ... heck, I'll have it fixed. So I ordered a compressor and a drier, then off I go to the shop ...

Turned out, my car is having some other issues ...

My muffler is rusted to the point where the sheet metal is falling off, rattling when the muffler gets hot ...

My passenger's side CV boot is torn open ... I think it might be because of a hit and run I got a few months back ... So, I also heard that if my CV boot is torn open, I might as well replace the whole shaft ...

So I bought a new muffler, a new CV axle shaft and a set of OEM rotor and brake (don't ask why ^^"). My question is ... how hard is it to replace all of these component? Is there a write up somewhere to replace the muffler and the whole CV shaft? I have a Haynes manual and they are not too detail about replacing muffler ...

Btw, it's a 99 maxima GLE ^^
Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
<3's the all motor section

first off...as being certified in a/c you should also replace the accumulator as well if you are going to open the system and replace the compressor...reason being the drier and accumulator have dessicant in them to absorb liquid in the system. as per manufacture, if the system is open for 2 hours, it will absorb moisture in the air and not be able to absorb anymore...and i wouldnt rush working on it...so i would look into replace the accumulator as well.

2nd...the passenger side axle is a bit tricky it is 'pressed' into an axle bracket that bolts to the block using 3 12mm bolts....at work i use a impact hammer to pry them apart...but you can use a screwdriver/pry bar and hammer to seperate them, but it will take longer...after that it is like every other axle.

muffer? if it is rusted out im guessing the bolts arent in the best shape...id soak them in some pb blaster and use a lot of heat to coax them out.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Oh ... some more problem ... lolz

My fog lights haven't worked for quite a while. The fuse for the fog light in the fuse box next to the battery keeps blowing off everytime I put a new one in ... Any idea? A short somewhere?