4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trunk latch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 PM

Trunk latch question

I'm having trouble with my trunk when I use the key to open it, it won't even budge, either way i move the key it doesn't move at all in both directions. I have the remote trunk release and that is working fine I noticed it is a separate mechanism from the key release. Ive had hood latches do the same and a quick shot of WD-40 does wonders has anyone done any quick fixes on the trunk release?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Ridin' Spinnaz

Originally Posted by Jesse729
I'm having trouble with my trunk when I use the key to open it, it won't even budge, either way i move the key it doesn't move at all in both directions. I have the remote trunk release and that is working fine I noticed it is a separate mechanism from the key release. Ive had hood latches do the same and a quick shot of WD-40 does wonders has anyone done any quick fixes on the trunk release?
If all else fails, just pop a new lock in..
Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 PM

I have a spare lock/key w/ latch and all that from the trunk lid I got
if you need any of it cheap I got it lying in my garage

I suggest popping the bar off the lock cylinder to see if they key can budge the lock at all

Any rust on the lock cylinder?
The bar could also be bent in such a manner so that rotation of the lock is not possible

I am assuming the latch is working fine since you got it open
Old 06-03-2007, 06:33 PM

i replaced my latch because one of the wires from the hardness was ripped, and my stock alarm would go off all the time (it thought the trunk was open).

its really easy, just like 2 10MM screws i think, but the latch was expensive for such a small thing, dont make me go digging through my receipts right now tho...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Well after closer inspection and taking too many things apart I realized the latch works fine and the linkage isn't bent but the key just doesn't work in the lock it's the wrong key or something. I bought the car used but I looked at the trunk and it looks original the car had never been wrecked I don't understand why it has a different lock on it
Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 PM

does the key open the doors ? i dont get it. different key or different lock ?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM

There is a VIN # sticker on the trunk lid which you can match to other panels (e.g. doors) to see if the trunk lid is the original one with the car. If the # doesn't match, that means the trunk lid was replaced and there's no way of knowing if the original lock was kept or not. Likewise, if the previous owner replaced the lock, there would be no way of knowing as well.

MOST LIKELY, the key cylinder lock has gotten stuck due to non-use and buildup of rust and grime on the key cylinder lock spring does not help your cause. My lock has exhibited the same problem due to non-use but I have fixed it.

If you keep trying to force the lock open using just your key, you are most likely to bend/snap your key.

My advice (assuming the key matches the key cylinder lock):
- remove trunk lid trim and locate key cylinder
- spray WD40 on to the key cylinder lock from the inside of the trunk lid
- the key turns clockwise from the outside, figure out the direction if moves on the inside
- LIGHTLY turn the key on the outside as to not bend/break your key but enough to latch the key cylinder mechanism, while grasping the key cylinder linkage tab from the inside and turning it with a good amount of force to assist it; in other words, you are trying to turn the key cylinder from the inside of the trunk lid
- be patient, it will take numerous tries, eventually you will succeed
Old 06-04-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by RedfoxXx
I have a spare lock/key w/ latch and all that from the trunk lid I got
if you need any of it cheap I got it lying in my garage

I suggest popping the bar off the lock cylinder to see if they key can budge the lock at all

Any rust on the lock cylinder?
The bar could also be bent in such a manner so that rotation of the lock is not possible

I am assuming the latch is working fine since you got it open
Check you PM.