4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My Es300 fog retro.. I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 PM

My Es300 fog retro.. I need help

ok so i was under the impression i would have a good amount of space in the housing. But it seems the ES fogs are longer then expected. The lens hits the glass and i'm shy about 1/4 inch. This is without cutting anything and trying to go thru the OEM outlet. As much as possible i'm really trying to aviod cutting a new hole because since it already has a OEM outlet with the harness running thru there but it seems like there is no other way but to cut open another hold.

This is my first time attempting to do a retro so anything stated on what i should do. Might need to be a little detailed.

I know i'm not the best with words so here are all the pictures.

Does it look like i have to cut apart the grey housing to get these in right? And how do i go about setting up adjustment screws?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Old 06-17-2007, 05:12 PM

no ideas from you retro guys ?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:54 PM

Instead of mounting it from the inside, could you do it from the outside? Not too sure how, but if you stuck the projector through the hole, id imagine youd need to enlarge it a fair amount, but then you may run into issues mounting it there.

Just an idea..no clue if it will work or not.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:10 PM

It looks as tho you need to open the back of the fog light up so the projector can fit better. The stuff around it seems like it needs to be trimmed as well. What parts are hitting? Find out what's stopping it from going back and fix it. I don't think anyone did a es300 retro so you might not get too much help. You have the parts so you'll be able to figure things out. You'll need to cut things and custom mount things.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 PM

the lens on the projector is right on the inside of the glass in the clearance shot.

the ball pivot slot to the right in the picture if its shaved off looks to give more more clearance room. So i'm going to shave that off tomorrow and see how far i get from that.

before i cut into anything and make it so i cant go back ever. How would one attempt to setup sometype of alignment screw with this?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Bacon Lover

You're just going to have to cut out some of the back of the housing to move it back a little bit. I got lucky, my projectors fit without having to cut any of the housing at all. If all you need is 1/4", that's a very small amount. I would suggest moving it back at least 1/2", though.

It would be easier to make suggestions also if you did a shot of the projector inside the housing WITHOUT the fog light lens in front of it so we can see what kind of space you have to work with.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Boosted?....

I would pm kevlo911. He has done a es300 fog retro for one of his fogs. He has been lazy and never finished the second one. He would be your best resource. As Tatanko said, you would more than likely have to cut the back of the housing to make it fit.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by EteRnity059
I would pm kevlo911. He has done a es300 fog retro for one of his fogs. He has been lazy and never finished the second one. He would be your best resource. As Tatanko said, you would more than likely have to cut the back of the housing to make it fit.

kevlo911 is away somewhere. he said he will be home 2 weeks and then he will take pictures of it for me.

eternity you were the one that made me want to get off my butt and start working on from your retro. i'm almost done with it i guess.

i thought my last picture showed you how much room there was. i'll take more pictures right now.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 AM

this is problay what your looking for but i took more pictures of the gap and the ball pivot thing that blocks up some space.

before i start cutting away my main concern is how do i attempt to aim this projector onces it seated in the housing? I want to have an idea before i go ahead and cut.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 AM

the gap looks more like 1/2 inch now since i got the upper porton to sit flush.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Boosted?....

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
this is problay what your looking for but i took more pictures of the gap and the ball pivot thing that blocks up some space.

before i start cutting away my main concern is how do i attempt to aim this projector onces it seated in the housing? I want to have an idea before i go ahead and cut.

In this picture, as I remember my retro, the flat part of the projector mount bracket sat flush with the flat portion of the top of the fog housing, when I aimed it. You could always cut the bottom tab on the bottom right corner of the projector bracket. I only mounted my projector with 2 bolts, 2 on top. I would try to aim the projector before you start cutting away.

Position the foglight in the orientation that it would sit on the max and fit the projector in the housing. You should get a relative idea as to how it should sit inside the housing. Once you do that mark off where you would need to cut in order to make it fit.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:13 AM

yea that bottom right corner is going to be gone and also the right side pivot thing is going to cut off. that gives me. 1/8 of an inch more.

i'm thinking in the end. i should shift the whole projector to the left that inch so that the left pivot mount is pretty much lined with the projector mount opening.

i dont understand how you can really aim the projector before you start cutting away. Its very hard to keep it in the exact same place. i got 2 back up sets coming my way for tester peices that i'll be cutting away at.

right now i'm hoping if it cut off the right lower corner and the right upper corner i can be able to fully close the fog light and then we can go from there. but it will be middle of the week to get my backup fogs
Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Boosted?....

Now that I look at it again, if you position the projector like i said, with the top of the projector flush to the top of the fog housing, it could possibly fit if you were to cut off them mounting holes to the projector mounting brackets, it may give you the inch or so you need to put the lense back on. You could drill your own mounting holes back in if need be.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Boosted?....

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
yea that bottom right corner is going to be gone and also the right side pivot thing is going to cut off. that gives me. 1/8 of an inch more.

i'm thinking in the end. i should shift the whole projector to the left that inch so that the left pivot mount is pretty much lined with the projector mount opening.

i dont understand how you can really aim the projector before you start cutting away. Its very hard to keep it in the exact same place. i got 2 back up sets coming my way for tester peices that i'll be cutting away at.

right now i'm hoping if it cut off the right lower corner and the right upper corner i can be able to fully close the fog light and then we can go from there. but it will be middle of the week to get my backup fogs
You shouldn't really have to aim them. When I test fitted my projectors, the flat part of the mounting bracket of the projectors when flush with the top part of the fog housing aimed it perfectly. Just look at the opening on the back of your fog light. As long as you are fitting your projector relative to the angle of that opening, you are aimed.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Kevlo for President

I did cut the back out and have almost retained the stock aiming bolt. Will have pics in a week and a half. I just never sealed up the fogs but it does fit fine.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Bacon Lover

If you can get the housing of the projector to sit flat with the top of the fog light housing like others have said, you'll be fine. You can do this probably by enlarging the factory hole in the back of the fog light housing a little more towards the center so the projector can sit more towards the center. You *may* need to do away with one of the mounting holes on the projector to have it fit in the housing, though.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM

i think i'll wait a week and a half to see kevlo's pictures. its actually more of a week for me to wait cause the 2nd set of fogs show up middle of the week and i'll take apart the 2nd fog next monday after maximus.