4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ugh - I think my A/C died yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Maintenance Monster

Nice avatar. Forget A/C, that's the kind of climate control I want.

Dave
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM

On '97 FSM pages HA-4 and HA-5, you can see the old and new fitting types and the o-ring sizes for each. If you buy the o-rings from Nissan, they can tell the type installed on your vehicle by VIN number.

I have the new type fittings on my '98 I30.

If you resealed the system after discharge, even with air inside, the dryer could not have absorbed that much water. If you left it unsealed, I would change it.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Maintenance Monster

It should be empty and sealed.

Thanks for the tip on the o-rings. I had a feeling their 'book' wasn't the most accurate source on the matter.

Dave
Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 AM

Ugh - I think my A/C died yesterday.

I just called my dealer to ask , by VIN, for the right O-Ring sizes and they said they can't tell me and that the o-rings come on the lines and they don't have them ala carte..

Is this just a bunch of crap ? My SE is a late 97 model.... and I am going to replace the condenser and receiver/drier.

Does anyone know what sizes I will need offhand? I have not taken it apart to look at the former vs new type of connection I have... Using the stretched o-rings to guage the right size to buy doesn't see quite right..

There must be one answer based on my configuration of the right sizes to get but at least my dealer is being evasive, as typical.

S
Old 07-20-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by vtkahns
I just called my dealer to ask , by VIN, for the right O-Ring sizes and they said they can't tell me and that the o-rings come on the lines and they don't have them ala carte..
This is just crap. My Nissan dealer found the o-ring and fitting type by the VIN number on my Infiniti I30!!! Just a few years back, I told them I had a Max just to get them to sell me parts.

Just by experience, the counter person prefer customers who walks up vs calling on the phone. They enjoy talking to you face to face. They like people who are working on THEIR cars.

I would say: "Is it going to be a $10 o-ring?" and they just laugh.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SVI30
...If you resealed the system after discharge, even with air inside, the dryer could not have absorbed that much water. If you left it unsealed, I would change it.
Originally Posted by dgeesaman
It should be empty and sealed.
The dryer has a bag of desiccant inside. You can remove moisture from desiccant by heating them. But this is hard to do since they are in a sealed canister.

We use desiccant for work. They are packed in a sealed bag along with our chips (not potato). It keeps the moisture from entering the plastic. Otherwise, during soldering, they will pop just like moisture in corn kernel make popcorn pop.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 PM

When they evacuate the system they leave it in a vacuum state, as long as there are no leaks there will not be moisture in the system and your drier should be fine. When you open the system make sure to cap the ends of the lines as you work to keep moisture in the system to a minimum. I bought an assortment of vacuum line plugs to if none fit I just put some duct tape over the ends.

I bought my compressor from Courtesy Nissan (ask for the Maxima.org discount) they had the best price at the time but that was several years ago, I don't even know if they still offer a Maxima.org discount. I'm sure it was a rebuild but it was still cheaper than the parts stores. Wherever you buy avoid FourSeason rebuilds, they are the largest rebuilder in the US and everybody I talked to told me to avoid them.

When I did mine I just took the old o-rings off and took them to the parts store and they matched them up. Several have very little difference in size so try and keep them organized. Instead of coating the o-rings in oil I recommend using Nylog, it's a thick, sticky, stuff that helps to seal the smallest imperfections in the oring seals.

It sounds if they already replaced the expansion valve so that should be good, but if they didn't aready replace it I would recommend doing that while the systems open.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

i had a similar issue in my '98 I30t, where my A/C would pump out warm air. I had several "pros" test my A/C system with no luck. Even changed frion and system tests out fine. But still blows out warm air.
I recall once going to the Nissan dealer and they said it was a common thing amongst that year i30/maxima. Mentioned something about a switch located behind the glovebox that was cutting off power at some point early. Any clue what this might be?