4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need suggestions for mods...probably been asked a million times already

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 07:55 PM
Dan99SE

I want give my Max some more H.P. But, I really dont have the first clue where to start. I used to have a '96 Mustang GT and knew everything there was to know about them. But, I used to work for a car auction and fell in love with the Maxima. So, I traded my stang in on one. Right now all I have on it is a K&N panel filter and a front strut bar. I have about $400 to spend. What do you guys suggest. I've seen you guys talk about a POP charger and a CAI. Does the POP charger basically just get rid of the air box and give you a cone filter? Is the CAI basically something like a ram-air? Sorry, if I sound stupid, I'm trying Any other hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, could you tell me where is the best place to buy the stuff you suggest. Thanks

Old 07-18-2001, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Dan99SE
I want give my Max some more H.P. But, I really dont have the first clue where to start. I used to have a '96 Mustang GT and knew everything there was to know about them. But, I used to work for a car auction and fell in love with the Maxima. So, I traded my stang in on one. Right now all I have on it is a K&N panel filter and a front strut bar. I have about $400 to spend. What do you guys suggest. I've seen you guys talk about a POP charger and a CAI. Does the POP charger basically just get rid of the air box and give you a cone filter? Is the CAI basically something like a ram-air? Sorry, if I sound stupid, I'm trying Any other hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, could you tell me where is the best place to buy the stuff you suggest. Thanks
you should try to get a cone filter and then a y-pipe(stillen). good luck
Old 07-18-2001, 09:49 PM
4 Maximas and counting

improve the breathing...

Used cone intake (JWT or Stillen or roll your own) and a y-pipe (Cattman, WSP, Budget)

good luck

Originally posted by Dan99SE
Old 07-18-2001, 10:02 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hooold up

You had a '96 stang GT ? It's a lil faster than your current maxima, but you will be happy w/ your max. a 99 ? Damn beautiful all around car. sweetness

Anyways, I just recently bought and installed (myself) a cone air intake filter (kinda looks like the inside of a jet engine. Got it off ebay for 50 bucks. www.projectimport.com thats who sold it to me through ebay. Makes my car have a deeper growl when accelerating, more powerful sound, you can hear it sucking in air. And its less than half the price if the JWT or stillen. (or at least half).

Theres soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much you can do to your max. aahh the possibilities. Intake is a good place to start.

Hope I helped. PeAcE
Old 07-19-2001, 12:23 AM

Re: Hooold up

For a CAI you will have to cut a hole in the inside of the engine bay(not a big deal, I did this myself). The CAI has the filter under this hole you cut and tubing going from the hole up to the engine. It is AWESOME! Sounds like there is a small block V-8 under the hood at WOT(probably not like your old stang though). I suggest the Place Racing one. You can get it from www.cattman.com. You should also get a Stillen(do not accept anything less)Y-pipe. It gives the deepest sound of the Y-pipes and I believe it is worth the price. You can get this from www.EatRiceZone.com(tell Phuong you are from Maxima.org). With these 2 mods you will be very happy and might go a little over the $400, but it is worth it.

K