4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passenger Window Won't Go up

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Passenger Window Won't Go up

Took the 99 Max GLE for a spin today and rolled down all the windows. They all rolled back up except for the passenger window. Now it won't go up at all, neither with the control on the passenger side nor on the driver side (yes I have the window lock off).

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? Motor? Switch? I searched on this but didn't find much.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM

check fuses(lol)......i must admit that one does sound strange.Obviously something get disconnected in the "spin" you took out of it today.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM

did you here a snap fallowed by a crunching noise, when you attempted to roll up the window? can you bring the window up with your hands? if so, you need a new regulator, does it make noise when you hit the switch? check the wiring to the switch if the regulator is o.k. max's regulators arnt the best, thats my bet.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fadrvr
did you here a snap fallowed by a crunching noise, when you attempted to roll up the window? can you bring the window up with your hands? if so, you need a new regulator, does it make noise? check the wiring to the switch, if the regulator is o.k. max's regulators arnt the best, that my bet.
word I've had to replace my regulator as well
Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 PM

i could take apart my door and part out my window regulator if someone is interested. pm me
Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. No, I didn't hear any crunching noise and no snap - it just refuses to budge. Its all the way down inside the door so I cannot manually bring it up (does anyone know if I can by taking the door trim off?).

Regarding the fuses, that was my initial thought, but I can only find one 30A fuse for the "power windows". Since the other 3 work I've pretty much ruled out a failed fuse. Unless there is a single fuse per window, and I don't think there is, then I don't think the fuse is the issue. Anyone see faulty logic here?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

replace the regulator, it comes with the motor. Ebay is like 50 bucks. I did that and works perfect now. However as the 4th gen gets older, the rubber part next to the glass (inside and outside) gets worn and eventually needs replacing. I had to do that as well. Bought the set from junkyard for like 6 bucks.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM

I have had problems with my passenger side window as well. My window starts rolling up fine but slows down to a crawl as it gets towards the top. However, if i keep the window switch activated and give the windows a little push (not up, but forward, towards the motor) the window rolls right up. Do you think this is a weak motor, or the window isn't sitting in the tracks correctly.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by 521921
Thanks for the replies. No, I didn't hear any crunching noise and no snap - it just refuses to budge. Its all the way down inside the door so I cannot manually bring it up (does anyone know if I can by taking the door trim off?).

Regarding the fuses, that was my initial thought, but I can only find one 30A fuse for the "power windows". Since the other 3 work I've pretty much ruled out a failed fuse. Unless there is a single fuse per window, and I don't think there is, then I don't think the fuse is the issue. Anyone see faulty logic here?

Thanks!
If you take the inner door panel off, you can maually push it up. I had a honda accord that the regulator went bad in it. I had a piece of wood inside the door holding up the glass. Certified Ghetto but it worked until i got it fixed
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I took the trim off but the window won't budge. It is stuck in there hard. Sounds like the motor is ok to me, does this mean this is the regulator? Is there anyway to bypass it just to get the window up?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Addicted to the Org

You can test the motor this way. Unplug it , then you can take some speaker wire and run it to a battery (hopefully you have one close by) Or you can just take the battery out of your car, and straight wire the window motor to the battery and see if it comes on. It may work on reverse polarity, so you may have to switch the wires up, but either way, that should solve that.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks all for your help on this. After removing the trim and digging around in the door some, reading the FSM, reading your posts here and reading write-ups online I understand that the motor is different from the regulator.

The regulator looks fine, the cables are not unwound or anything like that, there was no crunching noise or snap when I tried to roll up the window. By all this I'm deducing that it is the motor. Can you get just the motor and not the entire assembly? And do you have to take out the entire regulator to change the motor?

Thanks again all.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys for your help. I got a new motor and plugged it in and it will respond to the down switch on both driver and passenger side, but not the up signal. Keep in mind this is a different motor than is inside the door.

I can't find anything that talks about the motor going down but not up. Sounds to me like a short or a fuse or something like that somewhere, but I can't find any info about this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM

If the new motor doesn't 'respond' to the UP, check out your switch / wiring connections. You can try the new motor with just a pair of wires at the battery to verify it's OK
Old 08-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Its your regulator. Make the investment, you'll be happy you did. Went throught the same thing in both rear windows in my 95.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Please Help I'm desperate !!!

******PLEASE HELP**********************************

Help I have a similar problem. Yellow key light on. Cant turn on the accessory. Cant roll up windows (hard key doesn't work). I live in Alaska. 100 MILES FROM THE DEALER.

I've changed the car battery, the primary fob battery, and have tried the back up fob.

My brake lights do work.

I've noticed that the steering wheel lock is not engaging though.

All the while, though, the yellow light stays on while I'm seated in the car with either or both keys.

Yes I've tried to sit key in key boot. without any changes. Not even sure why they put that in the car.

And Yes, I've checked all the fuses.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 PM

What is the yellow key light? If your car is a 1999, are you referring to what is supposed to be a red security led? How about telling us what the year, make and model of your car is?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What is the yellow key light? If your car is a 1999, are you referring to what is supposed to be a red security led? How about telling us what the year, make and model of your car is?
dude has a 2010. He's just spamming others to get his 15 to create his own topic (which he finally did in the 7th gen section)
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 AM

Well, since someone already new'd this thread, guess I will comment for those searching for possible answers to the original question. My passenger side front window was going down fine but if I rolled it down all the way, it would not come back up. If I only rolled it halfway down, it would come back up on its own. I pulled my door panel off, removed the window and looked at the rubber groove part. I noticed that the rubber had come out of the metal track toward the front of the door. I stuck it back in, replaced the window and it works fine now. Anyone else having this problem, check this first if the window is going down but not up..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
+1

BAN that fawker !!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Passenger Window Won't Roll Up

I pulled out the regulator, found a small problem with the wire on the main pulley, which got out of it's lane. I pushed the wire back into it's lane. The old motor didn't work on way or the other, and I bought a new motor. Attached the motor to the regulator and reinstalled the regulator in the car. The window rolled down, stopped, and won't roll up. I checked the fuses, no problem. All of the windows are on one fuse for the 1994 Maxima. I detached the regulator from the car door again, took off the motor, plugged it back into the window switch, and pushed the switch which causes the motor to roll the window down. The motor worked fine, spinning in one direction. When I pulled the switch up, the motor did not turn, which explains why it won't roll up. I took the switch out of the car door to see if anything is burned out on it. There are two large relays in the switch, one for rolling the window up and one for down, manufactured by Taiko, 9431, part number TX2-8XF. I believe it may be the root of my problem currently, but I haven't checked the plug to make sure power is flowing thru for both direction. There are four pins for one regulator, and three for the second regulator, and the pins lead to the regulators. If it's the relay that's out, I need relays like this. If you or someone you know has two, will be glad to pay $5. This is cheaper than they sell for at Radio Shack, although, they don't carry this relay. I've seen similar online, but they don't match the numbers anywhere. Please let me know if you have any help. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 AM

the problem with window problems is you cant really diagnose it without taking it apart.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by nstewart10
I pulled out the regulator, found a small problem with the wire on the main pulley, which got out of it's lane. I pushed the wire back into it's lane. The old motor didn't work on way or the other, and I bought a new motor. Attached the motor to the regulator and reinstalled the regulator in the car. The window rolled down, stopped, and won't roll up. I checked the fuses, no problem. All of the windows are on one fuse for the 1994 Maxima. I detached the regulator from the car door again, took off the motor, plugged it back into the window switch, and pushed the switch which causes the motor to roll the window down. The motor worked fine, spinning in one direction. When I pulled the switch up, the motor did not turn, which explains why it won't roll up. I took the switch out of the car door to see if anything is burned out on it. There are two large relays in the switch, one for rolling the window up and one for down, manufactured by Taiko, 9431, part number TX2-8XF. I believe it may be the root of my problem currently, but I haven't checked the plug to make sure power is flowing thru for both direction. There are four pins for one regulator, and three for the second regulator, and the pins lead to the regulators. If it's the relay that's out, I need relays like this. If you or someone you know has two, will be glad to pay $5. This is cheaper than they sell for at Radio Shack, although, they don't carry this relay. I've seen similar online, but they don't match the numbers anywhere. Please let me know if you have any help. Thanks.
If you're a 94 max, you probably should post in the 3rd gen section instead of the 4th gen section. You will probably get more 3rd gen knowledge there.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Hey fellas, instant help would be appreciated. My regulator made no bad signs up until today when I rolled it down halfway and now it wont go up or down. It clicks, but no movement

I've replaced the driver's side before, and the regulator died as it slowly would roll up. This rolls up and down no problem. I have the door panel off in front of me. Window jiggles a little bit in place - has not done before Do you think Regulator is dead
Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM

probably the switch in the door, not the regulator.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM

So waht do you suggest? I'm not acquainted with electricals
Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM

i'm not either. swap the switch!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 521921
i'm not either. swap the switch!
How sure are you of this because it doesnt work from the drivers side or passenger. And how do I do this?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 PM

And the motor is quite hot
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM

I think the motor has taken a poop on me. I Hold th swithc up in the up or down position, and the motor clicks every two seconds but no movement. Simple solution, I'm just going to buy another one. It's not switch SON!

Just called the Nissan dealership, they quoted 100 for the regulator and 200 for the motor. LOL SAUCE, i got mine for 40 last time. Orderin. Thanks for input 521921
Old 07-13-2012, 02:47 PM

It might be your switch. l had a different problem before, when in a damp day, the driver side master switch just won't work, had to drive for like 10 miles or something before it start working again. Had master switch replaced, then everything is fine.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
It might be your switch. l had a different problem before, when in a damp day, the driver side master switch just won't work, had to drive for like 10 miles or something before it start working again. Had master switch replaced, then everything is fine.
No but you see it's working for all other windows. PLus, I took the motor plus regulator out. I kept it in the up/down position and the motor was clicking every two seconds but no movement. Put my hand to it and it was cooked. So I have reason that it is the motor.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
No but you see it's working for all other windows. PLus, I took the motor plus regulator out. I kept it in the up/down position and the motor was clicking every two seconds but no movement. Put my hand to it and it was cooked. So I have reason that it is the motor.
PM me with your email address and I will send you electrical service manual if that helps.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Open your door panels and inspect to see what the problem is......
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Windows: 1 Down & 3 Up

Ok, here is my situation. I know I can count on you guys to send me in the right direction. My 1998 Maxima, all electronic accesories worked awesome. But 2 days ago, the drivers' side windows still works and the passenger and rear 2 windows will not work. Neither the drivers switch, or the individual switches will not lower or raise them. The sunroof works fine, and I have a question about that, which I will save for another post.
Any suggestions, come one, come all!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by amsolano
Ok, here is my situation. I know I can count on you guys to send me in the right direction. My 1998 Maxima, all electronic accesories worked awesome. But 2 days ago, the drivers' side windows still works and the passenger and rear 2 windows will not work. Neither the drivers switch, or the individual switches will not lower or raise them. The sunroof works fine, and I have a question about that, which I will save for another post.
Any suggestions, come one, come all!!!
There's a lock button that disables the other 3 windows so kids or passengers can't put them up or down if you don't want them to.

It's on the driver's door window switches control panel. The top left button next to the power lock switch. You either accidentally pushed it or it has failed and locked out the other three windows power.

Please report back which it is. Most likely the one that will make you feel like a dummy. LOL That's the easy one too!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
There's a lock button that disables the other 3 windows so kids or passengers can't put them up or down if you don't want them to.

It's on the driver's door window switches control panel. The top left button next to the power lock switch. You either accidentally pushed it or it has failed and locked out the other three windows power.

Please report back which it is. Most likely the one that will make you feel like a dummy. LOL That's the easy one too!
I think your right and I also think half of us have done this, me being one of them. When I did it I freaked out, but my wife, who knows nothing about cars besides blowing up motors (3 so far) said, did you accidently hit the lock button?

I said, how stupid do you think I am? Well apparently I can be pretty stupid as that is what happened, I somehow hit the lock button, felt pretty stupid but happy that it wasn't something serious. In my defense, I had never owned a car with power windows, but she had. So we have a little on going running joke, when I say I'm going out to fix" xxx" on the car she asks, are you sure you don't need my help? I "fixed" the window problem, remember.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KP11520

Yes, I am an idiot. I had accidentally hit the child safety button. Disabling my other windows. I reminded myself to have a look at the arm rest a few days after remembering, and sure enough...it was in the "off" position. So, obviously, windows did not work...LOL
Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My maxima 96 , rear passenger window don’t go up , the motor make noise when I press the botom but doesn’t move up, I can move the window with my hands and make it to the top but eventually will fall down again. This is the case for a faulty regulator?

Quick Reply: Passenger Window Won't Go up