4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96SE serp belt chirp, wearing edge of belt, IS IT HARMONIC BALANCER?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SOLVED! 96SE serp belt chirp, wearing edge of belt, IS IT HARMONIC BALANCER?

I did the google search on the forum for "chirp", "squeal", and "harmonic balancer" = nothing. So I've done my due diligence.

NOW... here's the scoop. I had the serpentine belts replaced in June 07. Now Aug 07 I've got a chirping in the belt/pulley area and the belts are being slowly "eaten" away laterally...losing millimeters along the lateral edge.

The work was done in Georgia, now I live in Kansas City. The prev mechanic tells me on the phone it's probably now the idler pulley or a bearing, maybe the alternator at worse. The current mechanic eyed it and tells me the rubber portion of the harmonic balancer has apparently worn and caused related parts to move forward and chew the belts.

Local autoparts stores apparently don't keep this harmonic balancer in stock and must be ordered from the stealership, according to current mechanic. ( I assume I can order it online elsewhere for him.)

Who has some insight here? QUICK!

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 AM

got a pic for us to look at?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 AM

It's at the shop now, I'm at work. It could be done tonight, possibly, assuming I have clearance to post pictures.

I'm trying to make a decision on ordering a harmonic balancer and having it shipped. Apparently my mechanic does not use the web to order, and the dealer is his only option once local parts stores do not carry the piece.

Can the org clarify for me that my engine truly has a harmonic balancer? One post I googled alluded to the thought that it did not. The 96 has a VQ30 engine, true?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by chasMAX
It's at the shop now, I'm at work. It could be done tonight, possibly, assuming I have clearance to post pictures.

I'm trying to make a decision on ordering a harmonic balancer and having it shipped. Apparently my mechanic does not use the web to order, and the dealer is his only option once local parts stores do not carry the piece.

Can the org clarify for me that my engine truly has a harmonic balancer? One post I googled alluded to the thought that it did not. The 96 has a VQ30 engine, true?
Yes on the VQ, no on the harmonic balancer.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...0&postcount=10, and http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=12.

Search of 'harmonic balancer' of just the 4th and 5th gen forums pulls up around 40 threads.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by chasMAX
Yes, on your VQ engine, the large pulley on the crankshaft which drives the accessories (AC, PS, Alt) can separate. I have personally seen two of these, and yes, it would definitely cause premature belt failure.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Get yourself a Haynes manual please.

I would check your pulleys for tightness first, since its rather easy to do. A loose pulley can wobble, cause squeak, and wear down a belt. This would be my first place to start troubleshooting because in order to install a new inner belt, the outer belt has to be removed by loosening a pulley. Proper tightening may have been overseen by the technician considering it was a short time ago. Please try to get the pics posted up. Which belt was it by the way?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Pics. Replace with OEM or performance pulley, hmm.

I appreciate the insight. Pmohr was a big help with his reference to http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....12#post5262012. If it's the crank pulley that's failed, I need to decide if the most cost-effective way to replace it in an otherwise stock vehicle is an oem-type replacement, or a s/c or u/d performance pulley. Suggestions in my case, beyond the link above? Here are the pictures as requested.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM

Hahaha, glad you threw the Hayne's photo in there!

Did you check the belt for proper tension? That first photo looks like severe wear on that belt. Kinda scary. Also, are the pulleys themselves rubbing on anything? Any shiny spots?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM

Well it is happening to bothe the ps and main belts............ hummmmm, what do they share in common? I've seen this before and I wouldn't doubt the mechanic, besides didn't he look at it and see an issue with the harmonic balancer?

udp ftl, get your hands on one from car-part.com (allthough be weary, these are easily damaged in a bad accident, ask me how I know this.........) And I'd also recommend oem belts or gates ftw.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Solved!

Thanks so much for your input on my belt problem. In the interest of closure, here's the completion: It ended up being a failing crank pulley (aka harmonic balancer, but NOT to open up a new discussion as to the lack of a harmonic balancer on the VQ. I know, I know...). The press-fit rubber portion had deteriorated with heat and age, causing the two parts of the pulley to collapse in relation to each other, taking the belts with them, thereby wearing the belts edgewise. When I first noted the chirping and had the independent mechanic look at it, the only place in town to get the new pulley was to have the stealership order it at $250 plus $30 express shipping. I took my chances that I could gently drive on the car for short distances the next several days, keeping an eye on the belt wear. This allowed time for a new OE-type replacement part (Dorman 594-188) to be ordered from Amazon.com Automotive for $100.00 plus $10 s/h. My mechanic installed it today with a two new G/Y Gatorbelts from AdvanceAuto and a $9 new front OEM crank seal from the stealership. Now back to my regularly scheduled other items on the never-ending 4thGen ToDo list....stay tuned for my pleas for help with my EVAP CEL
Old 08-18-2007, 08:20 AM

take off your tensioner, i had the same problem and my belt would breat all the time, the brackt that holds your tensioner on may be broke in half, the vibration of the motor can do this after awhile, i welded mine back together and no problems at all, i didn't know it was that untill it finally gave all the way out and broke completely in half and was throwing sparke when i reved it up around 5 grand, check that before buying expencive parts