4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric really works!!! *pics inside*

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM

Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric really works!!! *pics inside*

hey guys, i experimented with my car today after picking up some duplicolor spray paint for 5 bucks for advance auto today. I originally picked it up because of the idiot who owned the car before me. He glued the sirius radio holder to the dashboard right above the glove box, and upon removal (scraping) the black color faded and i needed to fix the eyesore. Anyways, stupid me never took the before and after, but honestly, it couldn't have come out better. you can only see the indentation of where it was when the sun hits it perfect, but this stuff works great!!!! (sinks right into the vinyl when you spray, doesn't sit on the surface)

Now for the pics...I had some paint left and I decided to give the carpets a shot since the can said it could be used for that. Once again I was too excited to take the before but I have the after which you can compare to your floor mats I guess. I only have a pic of the two rear mats in the car but it's a nice contrast to the gray carpet beneath them. I highly recommend this product.

and the front floor mat

and another shot

Old 08-18-2007, 06:23 PM

!!!

Seriously, lookin nice man! Now if only my interior wasn't tan...
Old 08-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Tha Snatcher

Duplicolor on the mats? Damn, learn something new everyday. Imma give that a shot on my driver's mat.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Now if only my interior wasn't tan...
Just pick up another can!

Looks nice! +1 on that you learn something new everything phrase!
Old 08-19-2007, 06:16 AM

My short stint as a painter left a few drops of primer and some random brown paint on my panels. This looks interesting, now... does it wear off??? last thing i want is my passenger to get black dye all over.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Tha Snatcher

I just did my mats and they look awesome! They are drying now. I made certain i avoided the "MAXIMA" so it'll look almost OEM. Except from the worn in spot from my heel on the drivers mat, they look brand new
Old 08-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Nice, they go well with your seats.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM

thanks for the comments, i actually just sprayed over the maxima on the front two just to give it the blacked out look and covering the lettering turned out to be a PITA anyway. If you were successful in covering, these things would look mint. Anyway, the stuff dried to the touch in less than a minute and after rubbing my hand over it, there is little to no black residue on my hand. The worn in spot on my driver mat isn't seen anymore!!

BTW, to clarify, this stuff is called Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Paint, don't use regular spray paint...and for those tan interiors, I bet you could spray your whole dash and all floormats in two cans. That's 10 bucks to change over to the black interior!

I also believe you could spray your fabric seats as well (no leather) from what the front of the can says.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM

I would love black, but thats your dash, headliner, seats, carpet....too much! (And, if it happens to not like the material in the sun, or anything and it screws up, your really SOL) Haha. Seats, door panels and floormats are easy to swap to a black interior, although this would help you not having to swap carpet, dash, console, etc...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 AM

yes very true, if only this stuff proved to be permanent...lol, i guess you would be SOL if it turned pink in the florida sunlight
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Its not really that good. I did the headliner, rear speaker panel, and trunk a few years back. It will rub off and shows every spec of dirt. It also chips very easy on plastics. Someone here did the middle of their tan seats and it came out like crap.

Its ok for places that wont get wear or if the original color is similar to the new one. Those with tan interiors, dont go to town with this stuff w/o thinking first.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:59 AM

well thank you for the encouragement and future insight. lol. well of course it's going to wear off if it isn't a dye and what do you mean it shows every spec of dirt, i wouldn't see it being any different from a factory black mat??
Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM

very nice. I have some places on my carpet that could some serious touching up.

not to mention my carpets need some serious TLC. put a plastic mat over the carpet and that should help extend the longevity of the paint.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i did that too my headliner, and the rear speaker deck. Tan color, dupli color works great.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 PM

hey good idea mdeezy, all you need are 4 of those clear plastic ones from walmart or auto store..
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
FEELS GOOD TO BE GANGSTA

Originally Posted by JSutter
Its not really that good. I did the headliner, rear speaker panel, and trunk a few years back. It will rub off and shows every spec of dirt. It also chips very easy on plastics. Someone here did the middle of their tan seats and it came out like crap.

Its ok for places that wont get wear or if the original color is similar to the new one. Those with tan interiors, dont go to town with this stuff w/o thinking first.
I'm thinking you did not get the right spray, not sure what you used but the Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Paint worked perfect for me. I did the black interior swap from tan and for those parts that I could not find, or just to cheap to buy I sprayed. Perfect, perfect, perfect. I do HIGHLY recommend using the primer. I did not use the clear however, because I was impressed with the outcome by itself. I even painted the airbags from tan to black. And this stuff has lasted me for almost a year now, and my interior has in no way been babied.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by semaj3708
I'm thinking you did not get the right spray, not sure what you used but the Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Paint worked perfect for me. I did the black interior swap from tan and for those parts that I could not find, or just to cheap to buy I sprayed. Perfect, perfect, perfect. I do HIGHLY recommend using the primer. I did not use the clear however, because I was impressed with the outcome by itself. I even painted the airbags from tan to black. And this stuff has lasted me for almost a year now, and my interior has in no way been babied.

do you have pics?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The factory mats are not black. Just trust me, black shows all.

Originally Posted by semaj3708
I used the same stuff as whats pictured.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 PM

yes, true, the factory mats are indeed not black originally, they're more like a grayish. but i guess you just have to sacrifice looks for a few more vacuum sessions.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 AM

Looks good man! I also recommend this stuff, I used it on my cloth door "inserts" a year and a half ago and they came out mint.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Team Ramrod

Looks good dude.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by shissqbob
yes, true, the factory mats are indeed not black originally, they're more like a grayish. but i guess you just have to sacrifice looks for a few more vacuum sessions.
So after a couple of years... how is the dye holding up against fading? Im also looking on doing this.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 AM

yeah, id like to try this on the factory "black" carpet, which is actually more gray. A true black conversion.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:01 PM

I scratched and nicked my dash

I was working on my radio and I scratched my dash not to deep but,It's

noticable when I am looking at it from the far range or the close range. The

scratch is maybe deep as a ball point pen. Is there anything I can use to fix

the dash, will ths work.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 PM

Oh god, I want to do this.............but if anyone has seen my painting stories, I am probably going to mess this one up too in some bizarre and almost alienating way.

........................................ Oh HELL why not!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Does the carpet feel stiff now? Or is it nice and soft like originally was? Would love to black out the gray in my car.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 AM

Curious on this too. Should be like dying hair, should still come out smooth and soft afterward. Assuming you didnt spary too much onto it
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 PM

idk man is there any way you can make those pics bigger lol cant see that good
Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I was working on my radio and I scratched my dash not to deep but,It's

noticable when I am looking at it from the far range or the close range. The

scratch is maybe deep as a ball point pen. Is there anything I can use to fix

the dash, will ths work.
I hear ya man, I did the same thing
Old 05-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Black Lion

HOLLY CRAP!! Let me tell you guys I used the Rustoleum Brand (they didn't have Duplicolor) vinyl Fabric spray and this stuff is the BOMB.. It completely wiped away the bleach stain I had on my front floor mat. These things look brand new, I have grey factory color and painted them black. It dried in like 20 min, it doesn't wipe off with your hand or anything. Used one can for all 4 mats highly recommend this and I just saved 80 bucks from having to but new OEM ones FTMFW!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 PM

i plan on doing a complete black interior with this shuff. only thing im worried about is the seats. you think they will come out good?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by riccohou
i plan on doing a complete black interior with this shuff. only thing im worried about is the seats. you think they will come out good?
hmmm I don't know about the seats. definitely good for carpet and headliner. I wouldn't trust doing them on the seats but it is said it will not rub off on your clothing once its dry. Entirely up to you to give it a shot.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM

yea, I saw this stuff on muscle car or whatever on spike one day for a "budget build" looked good on the grand national seats. Havent tried it myself, but I think you just sold me on buying a can or two!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:32 PM

wow it's been awhile since this thread was first posted by myself

to answer your questions: the black spray by duplicolor does eventually wear but it doesn't go entirely back to the factory color. my driver mat is noticeably worn where my heel rests but that is constant wear and tear. I sprayed my rear deck with this stuff and so far there hasn't been fading back there either.

when spraying this stuff on your carpet, it does seem to make the carpet stiff. it sure doesn't make it soft and silky because this is a type of coating on the carpet. once you run your hand over the coating once or twice the softness will return and it won't be as stiff.

I had also used this to repair a small area on my dash due to the previous owner gluing a radio to the actual dash. that has held up very well....
Old 05-23-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by shissqbob
wow it's been awhile since this thread was first posted by myself

to answer your questions: the black spray by duplicolor does eventually wear but it doesn't go entirely back to the factory color. my driver mat is noticeably worn where my heel rests but that is constant wear and tear. I sprayed my rear deck with this stuff and so far there hasn't been fading back there either.

when spraying this stuff on your carpet, it does seem to make the carpet stiff. it sure doesn't make it soft and silky because this is a type of coating on the carpet. once you run your hand over the coating once or twice the softness will return and it won't be as stiff.

I had also used this to repair a small area on my dash due to the previous owner gluing a radio to the actual dash. that has held up very well....
In other words I am good to use this on my dashboard and the scars and scratches will come off ?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

these things would look mint. Anyway, the stuff dried to the touch in less than a minute and after rubbing my hand over it, there is little to no black residue on my hand thread insert helicoil
Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Black Lion

It also leaves no funny odor of paint spray in the car like I had figured it would. But as stated earlier it works well going from Grey OEM color to black , don't know about other colors.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 PM

hmm i would love to go from tan to black but i am scared it will come out like ****. anyone try it on there seats yet and howd it come out?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

good idea!