4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Fire in the hole!

Should I do it?

Many of you that know me personally, know how obsessed I am with RX-7's. I've had ELEVEN of them. More specifically, how obsessed I am with first gen RX-7's. I have had NINE of those.

I was browsing craigslist tonight, and came across something that fits exactly what I want... 1980, RX-7, recently rebuilt streetported 13B, N/A, Weber carbed, straight piped, gutted, caged, track ready car, for 1500 bucks.

The problem is, I don't have 1500 bucks.

I do, however, have a Maxima that's been prepped as much as I can afford to E-Prepared rules, for SCCA Solo 2 AutoX.

I'd be HIGHLY inclined to remove everything except the exhaust and y-pipe, and sell it all just to buy a dedicated autoX car, and return my Maxima to DD status ONLY. I have a TON of parts at my parents' house down in Bloomington for a first gen RX-7, plus a set of wheels/tires that I've been trying to sell for 4 years now. This would be the best thing for me, and a chance for someone to have a fairly competitive, VERY well handling car, in a matter of a weekend or less. One day of solid install would take your car from grocery getter to near-corvette killer. It really does handle VERY well.

So basically, if someone's interested, here's what I've got that could go to the right home... Ideally, I'd like to sell it all as a package, so that I can make the phone call, buy the 7, and have an easy breezy remainder of the season.

KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, installed March 16th, 2007. Purchased new, March 1st, 2007. Remainder of factory warranty still exists. Rears were recently rebuilt, and the fronts still perform perfectly, no signs of wear. I've probably got about 6K miles on them, 5K of which is all highway. They have 2 autocrosses on them. Current setting is almost a 3" drop all around.

Stillen Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars. Purchased used, but in new condition from the .org, April, 2007. I'll even swap rear trunk pieces with you... the parts that cover the strut towers. Mine is cut away to allow access to the coilovers, and so the strut bar has a place to connect to.

BlehmCo Stage 2 LTB. Purchased used from the .org, January, 2007. Scraped up a bit on the bottom from speed bumps, but REALLY stiffened up the front of the car. Bumpsteer doesn't hardly exist anymore.

Addco Rear Sway Bar. Purchased used from the .org, November, 2006. DRAMATIC change in handling for the car. It really helped.. and shaved a lot of time off of my runs, as understeer wasn't hardly an issue anymore. It's also nice being able to take on-ramps at 60+

I'm in to all this for about 1300. If I can get 1100, INSTALLED (provided you live in the Chicagoland or Central IL areas), I'd be a happy camper. Yes, I'll install it all for you. Hopefully there's air tools available for removal/install.

All in all, I have to realize that I didn't buy the Maxima to be a racecar. I bought it so that I could have a sporty 4 door that I would be proud to drive, and carry 4 of my friends too. In order for me to get my racing fix, I need a racecar. I'm pretty much done racing the Maxima. Ideally, all of this would take place fairly soon... there's an autocross on the 2nd, that my sponsor already paid for me to be at. I'd rather not race the Maxima, but if I can't get the RX-7 in time, I'm kinda obligated to race it one last time. But then that's it.

Lemme know if you guys are interested.

--Evan
Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Sold

just take a personal line of credit from the bank and dish out that 1500 bux. That's what I would do if you really want that car so bad. Failing that, try a cash advance of the credit card. I know that the fees will hurt in the long run, but if your going to sell your stuff, at least this way, you will buy yourself a little time. when your preformance stuff is finally sold, use that to pay off the line of credit/cc. hope that helps you out.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 AM

ya if ur credit isn't all jacked up they should give u that much. considering that you have owned 20 cars already lol ur credit should be fine....

ps. I am looking for a pic of a maxima with rx-7 wheels.....
Old 08-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Wild for Width

Look in Member Rides, I had them a few months ago.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Fire in the hole!

uhhh... yeah, credit card isn't an option. I've gotta pay off my AmEx before I look at getting more cards. Required maintenance to the car, moving expenses, laptop, bed, and living off of a credit card for a month tends to rack up a fairly big bill.

I'm honestly tired of dumping money into a car that is going to take several thousand more dollars to be on the national level of autoX in EP. I really do enjoy racing as much as I can, and improving as I go. I'm LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of where I was 8 years ago, when I started autoXing.

The 7 is the most logical choice for me. I know first gen 7's like the back of my hand. I can literally have a running, rolling car completely stripped in a weekend, and put back together in another 3-4 days. It's one car that I've gotten FTDI in, THIRTEEN times. Everyone has their perfect fit for a racecar... the 79-85 RX-7 is mine. I had hoped the Maxima would be it, but in all honesty, I can't afford to have the maintenance bills on a car I'm still paying off. RX-7's are cheap to fix, if you know how. The only things I haven't been able to fix on one is a frame alignment.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Maintenance Monster

Just buy Erik Strelnieks' SM2 FD. 20B, carbon fiber body, the works.

Dave
Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Fire in the hole!

yeah, because I'm sure THAT'S a cheap car...

it's probably a mortgage to finance it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Maintenance Monster

His asking price was half my mortgage. But it is fun to think about, right?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Look in Member Rides, I had them a few months ago.
You ditched the wheels? Why? They looked good.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Fire in the hole!

back to thread?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM
i has college

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Just buy Erik Strelnieks' SM2 FD. 20B, carbon fiber body, the works.

Dave
Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Maintenance Monster

So you're posting a FS thread in the 4th gen discussion section and complaining about being on topic?

http://www.7parts.com/erikstrelnieks.html

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/844

Dave
Old 08-25-2007, 07:17 PM

haha yea dude just go to those sites.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Originally Posted by gunny11218
haha yea dude just go to those sites.

wow your sig. is the funniest thing ive ever seen.. hehehe..

i think the guy wants to sell the max.. he doesnt want us to help him decide.. he made his choice already... you are set on that rx... i mean i feel that way about the a32 i30...
Old 08-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Fire in the hole!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Maxima. It's a beautiful car. But, at the same time, it's no racecar. I crave that feeling of rapping out 3rd gear at 10,000rpm....

I miss driving fast in a fast car.....
Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chefasaurus
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Maxima. It's a beautiful car. But, at the same time, it's no racecar. I crave that feeling of rapping out 3rd gear at 10,000rpm....

I miss driving fast in a fast car.....

what are you talking about for the money this is an awesome price to power ratio, but i guess i can see your point but dont ever call the max slow.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by gunny11218
what are you talking about for the money this is an awesome price to power ratio, but i guess i can see your point but dont ever call the max slow.

the max isn't slow nor fast.

chef, i saw that car on CL as well. but thought i rather get a 2nd gen. with all the trouble you went thru with your car, do you really wanna sell it now. The rx7 isn't necessary a SOLID daily driver, and repairs can take more then a day's worth of time. You mentioned thoughts about getting a track van. I would only sell the max if i had a backup for the 7, like a decent A-team van...
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Fire in the hole!

I'm not getting rid of the Maxima... I'm just completely de-modding it. It's going to go back to the way it was when I bought it, so that I can maybe sell it ONE DAY. I'm in no hurry to get rid of the car... just the parts on it.

Ultimately, yes, I would KILL to have my A-Team Van again, and another RX-7. It'd be Florida all over again for me. I never drove the 7, except to go racing, and a lot of times, it got trailered, by the van.

But in all honesty, I really DO love my Maxima... I just don't want to race it anymore.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think you should get the 7 and replace the time bomb under the hood with a VQ35.