4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need suggestions for reducing body lean on turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM

I must be getting cynical in my old age. Why would you want to mess around to the extent suggested in this thread to radically improve the handling of an Infiniti I30?

If you want sports car handling, buy a sports car! You have an Infiniti, not a Honda S2000 for God's sake.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
I must be getting cynical in my old age. Why would you want to mess around to the extent suggested in this thread to radically improve the handling of an Infiniti I30?

If you want sports car handling, buy a sports car! You have an Infiniti, not a Honda S2000 for God's sake.
Because he wants an Infiniti I30 that's responsive and nimble instead of an Infiniti I30 that's a boat?

To the OP: also get some lightweight 16s. They should be about on par with the 15s you had on previously.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor

i believe h&r is considered the most comfortable quality spring.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
i has college

$1000 suspension vs. $23000 Honda S2000? Not to mention the Infiniti is much more of a daily driver, more luxurious, etc etc etc.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:40 AM

I don't know how you got to that idea, but as the OP, all I said was that I wanted to reduce body lean.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero

To the OP: also get some lightweight 16s. They should be about on par with the 15s you had on previously.
Morpheus, it's interesting that you mentioned going to light 16's b/c that's what I plan on doing. 17's would look better, but I can live with 16's.

Never could live with the OE I30t wheels that I had, though. The difference in weight between them and my original 15" wheels was maybe not numerically significant, but it sure had a big effect on my acceleration.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 PM

I suggest getting some H&R and Konis, since U said comfort is one of Ur main concerns I ended up buying that I30t with the eibach on it the ride is so-so, Ive had my H&Rs for like 8-9 months they have softened up a bit and are really comfortable, if U have ever riden in a altima its a bit rougher than that when it comes to absorbing bumps and such in the road. The only real problem with this is the price U will be spending quite a bit to get them($1300 installed for me) but im completely and totally satisfied with my decision.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
I suggest getting some H&R and Konis, since U said comfort is one of Ur main concerns I ended up buying that I30t with the eibach on it the ride is so-so, Ive had my H&Rs for like 8-9 months they have softened up a bit and are really comfortable, if U have ever riden in a altima its a bit rougher than that when it comes to absorbing bumps and such in the road. The only real problem with this is the price U will be spending quite a bit to get them($1300 installed for me) but im completely and totally satisfied with my decision.

+1 On upgrading the springs & struts. For me, my Eibach and Koni are comfortable as close to my stock SE suspention. Just a suggestion, but if I had to do the same, I would do the following things:
1. Upgrade springs and struts
2. Get some chasis stiffening(SFC)
3. Upgrade the wheels to lightweight 16" or 17"s with good tires to reduce sidewall flex and improve steering feel
4. Replace all the bushings and etc.

However, with the A32 you have to sacrifice comfort to get something in the handling department. OR you can save up some $$ for a downpayment for a better car that has been built from the scratch to be a sports car.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
those are both rather soft springs so they may not limit roll as much as youd like. eibach springs are the way to go.
I feel that Eibachs would be too stiff for my needs (and my injuries). Also, I've read quite a few comments from people who pulled them off their cars because they also felt too stiff to them.

If I were in my 20's, I'd probably get the stiffest setup I could find. However, I'm 60 years old and when it comes to wanting something stiff, it isn't a car part.

Remember...I'm running AGX's set at "2" in front and "1" in the rear.

Either H&R's or H.Techs have the spring rates that I want (maybe Canuck, too?). Now all I need is to find someone wishing to sell me theirs.

Last edited by dr-rjp; 10-23-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by nick_auto96
+1 On upgrading the springs & struts. For me, my Eibach and Koni are comfortable as close to my stock SE suspention. Just a suggestion, but if I had to do the same, I would do the following things:
1. Upgrade springs and struts
2. Get some chasis stiffening(SFC)
3. Upgrade the wheels to lightweight 16" or 17"s with good tires to reduce sidewall flex and improve steering feel
4. Replace all the bushings and etc.
What about a rear sway bar and RSTB?

I've got the upgraded struts/shocks and am looking for a set of second-hand H.Techs or H&Rs. All my bushings were replaced w/ polys about 6 months ago. Have to wait at least three months on getting bigger wheels and tires (it's a money issue).

But, I know what it felt like to have 16's and stiff tires. Again, due to money issues (and some issues with the wheels/tires themselves), I sold a set of 16" I30t alloys and Goodyear GS-A's. The GS-A's were great tires: they had stiff sidewalls, and going through curves, I felt no differently than if I had continued going straight.

This was a solid setup, but due to higher combined weight of the wheels & tires (as compared to my OEM 15's), they negatively affected my off-line acceleration, city gas mileage, and caused the shift points on my tranny to lag behind (meaning it took a lot more pedal input to get it to upshift, and when it did shift, it did so abruptly).

Just put my original 15's back on, shod with a new set of Kumho Solus. The straight line ride is perfect, but I can definitely feel the pull on my head and neck going through curves, so much so that it makes my chronic whiplash injury worse.

So, while there is some urgency to solving the problem, finances limit what I can do right now. I'm in the process of selling my home and moving to Orlando, and a lot of $$ has gone into renovations.

As far as the order of the things on your to-do list (which is great, BTW, and thanks for doing it), chassis stiffening would probably be last, given its comparative impact on roll and lean.

Originally Posted by nick_auto96
However, with the A32 you have to sacrifice comfort to get something in the handling department. OR you can save up some $$ for a downpayment for a better car that has been built from the scratch to be a sports car.

I love my I30, and if I wanted a sports car, I would have gotten one. I still don't want one. I've test-driven a lot of new cars, and honestly, other than getting another Infiniti, I have yet to find one that I like more than my I30. What's in 2nd-place was my 3rd Gen Max.

Of course, new cars will ride a lot quieter have a tighter feel, have additional safety features, and a warranty (woo-hoo), but I really cannot handle or even justify, taking out yet another big loan.

So, I really, really need to find ways of solving the current handling issues and getting five more years out of my car w/o breaking the bank.

Last edited by dr-rjp; 10-23-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98

i say that to say this... if you want to give them a try i have a set on my car right now that i don't need. ...like i said these parts were bought being very budget concious because they were temporary. i hadn't planned on selling them but they sound like what you need and i could give them to you cheap.
Are you talking about Maxspeed Springs?