4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Grinding Noise- What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 PM

New Grinding Noise- What to look for?

So tonight when I pulled into my garage I heard my car making a grinding/wheezing type of noise. It sounds like I am dragging something, but I am not. Here are some details.

The sound is more intense going forward then going backwards.

The brakes seem not to have an effect on the sound. If the car simply rolls, you hear the sound. If you have ride the brake, you hear the sound.

I checked to see if a brake shim had become dislodged and was scraping the rotor as that had happened to me twice before and it made a scraping sound, but I was not lucky enough to find that to be the culprit. It was kinda dark and my flashlight batteries are practically dead so I was not really able to see the best I could...

BTW- MY SES light came on tonight as well, but i actually found that the idiot who filled my car up in Jersery a few days ago barely put my gas cap back on. He even cross threaded it. So I am attributing that SES to the loose gas cap. (I HOPE) The SES has not gone out yet, but its only been 30 min. or so.

I did hit a nice bump on the way home, but nothing crazy as I have hit many worse bumps. My car is lowered on illuminas and HR's. The car seems to drive fine. I have no idea what it could be. I hope my car is not messed up because I really can't afford a car repair right now. What are some of the things to look at that might cause such a noise? Thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Well, I don't know very much about cars, and I can't hear the sound and how bad or loud it is. But I guess it's a good thing that I can't hear the sound from where I'm at. If it is a grinding noise and it also happens when you are pressing the brake part way, I would think that the problem would have something to do with the brakes or something close to the brake. But again, when it comes to cars I'm IGNORANT my opinion on this isn't worth much. When I hear grinding though I usually assume that something is rubbing together. I know that more people will come along that knows way more and is more helpful than I am. Best of luck on dealing with that problem though, I hope it isn't something serious.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 PM

check for any loose underbody cladding (I.E splash gards.) in the mean time keep anear out for the noise if it get progressivley worse it could be a wheel bearing on its way out
Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM

try to locate where the sound is emitting from.

If possible, jack up your car and put it in drive, see if you still hear the noise, if find the location and that should help you narrow it down.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 AM

drove the car today and the sound went away after a little rouch road. I think something was stuck in the brake. Thanks guys.