4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV boot grease (torn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 AM

CV boot grease (torn)

Both my outer CV boots tore within a day of each other, luckily I've been keeping an eye on the front end and I caught it. I need to make a run today but want to patch them up for now so I dont toast my axels(joints).

I, however don't have a clue what kind of grease is used, I know it comes with new boots, but I dont want the boots, just the grease
does anyone know a quick answer would be great here I've gotta leave in a couple hours, and so far all I've found are people that sell the whole package, no one knows what the grease is or where to get it.

Thanks so much boys hope you can help.
Matt
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 AM
No more Maximas...

If you just put grease in the boots, it'll all come flying out again, just go ahead and put the boots on.

If you're looking for a real quick temp fix, get a tub of grease, pack it in there, and duct tape the **** out of it.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 AM

Not sure how you think your gonna patch it. Your boot is now all greasy. Nothing's gonna stick , but try if you need to. You need to replace the boot.
Actually, you'll probably want to replace the whole axle. REASON: I also blew my boots (both sides. At different times.) and was looking to replace them. Here's what I found:

1. You need to remove the axle to replace the boot.
2. AFTER you remove the axle, you need to remove the old boot and pull the joint apart to install the new boot.
3. When I called around for prices I found that it is actually CHEAPER for a replacement axle (complete with new boot and joint! yay!) than it is for just the boot!!! Why? ??????????????????? One of the seven wonders of the world.

So, since you need to remove the axle to replace the boot anyway, and since the axle is CHEAPER than the boot. save yourself alot of time, money, and aggravation. (not too mention greasy hands) Replace the whole axle.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rouellette
Not sure how you think your gonna patch it. Your boot is now all greasy. Nothing's gonna stick , but try if you need to. You need to replace the boot.
Actually, you'll probably want to replace the whole axle. REASON: I also blew my boots (both sides. At different times.) and was looking to replace them. Here's what I found:

1. You need to remove the axle to replace the boot.
2. AFTER you remove the axle, you need to remove the old boot and pull the joint apart to install the new boot.
3. When I called around for prices I found that it is actually CHEAPER for a replacement axle (complete with new boot and joint! yay!) than it is for just the boot!!! Why? ??????????????????? One of the seven wonders of the world.

So, since you need to remove the axle to replace the boot anyway, and since the axle is CHEAPER than the boot. save yourself alot of time, money, and aggravation. (not too mention greasy hands) Replace the whole axle.
What are you referring to as the "axle"?? To replace a full axle is a lot more than the ~$30 for a new boot ... what are you referring to? the halfshaft??? please clarify
Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 PM

Yeah. You're right. The whole axle is more than $30.
Funny thing. The boot on other side on my car just went. So I went to a different auto parts store to get prices.
They had a boot kit for around $20. The whole axle was $68.
Don't know why that other store told it was cheaper to buy the whole axle. Probably just didn't have one and wanted to sell me the more expensive item. Or maybe he was pricing a new joint. ???? anyway. MY bad. A boot kit is cheaper than a whole axle.

HOWEVER... In my humble opinion. It is WAAAY easier to replace the whole axle than just the boot. Consider it.
1. Remove wheel.
2. disconnect tie rod
3. free up brake line by removing shim holding it to the strut
4. remove 2 bolts holding wheel assembly to the strut and pull assembly away from car
5. remove axle
6. insert new axle and reverse steps

If you just want to replace the boot, add a bunch more steps.
1. remove old boot (or cut) whatever
2. remove little ring things holding bearings on the axle
3. remove bearing
4. slide new boot onto axle
5. replace bearing on axle
6. repack with grease
7. re-attach other side of axle and attach clamps holding boot onto axle

So, I paid the $68 and replaced the whole axle again. Besides, I don't know about your car, but mine has 202,000 miles on it. I figured the old bearings had had enough.

Just did that job this past weekend on my car. Took a total of 1.5 hours.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Unless ur bankrupt - I would do what rouellette suggested, I've done my axles on several occassions and the time saved was worth the $40 diff in price, the whole axle is now cheap enough to not b changing boots. 1 hr job tops
Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Just replacing the boot is a patch. Don't cheep out, just put an axle in. Life time warranty on the part, only $35-40 more, less labor and aggrivation.
DO IT RIGHT....DO IT ONCE.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

passenger side driveaxle?

Originally Posted by maxpeed96plat.
Unless ur bankrupt - I would do what rouellette suggested, I've done my axles on several occassions and the time saved was worth the $40 diff in price, the whole axle is now cheap enough to not b changing boots. 1 hr job tops
Is there anything tricky about doing the passenger's side. Is there an alighment thing with the center support bracket and or bearing that you need to be careful with?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 AM

I got my boots replaced for $170, parts and labor. Took about an hour.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by kirenp
Is there anything tricky about doing the passenger's side. Is there an alighment thing with the center support bracket and or bearing that you need to be careful with?
I personally haven't had any prob's with it, the only pain is the bolts on the support bracket (big hands) and occasionally the axle itself requires a good tug to get out. 1
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Both my outer CV boots tore within a day of each other, luckily I've been keeping an eye on the front end and I caught it. I need to make a run today but want to patch them up for now so I dont toast my axels(joints).

I, however don't have a clue what kind of grease is used, I know it comes with new boots, but I dont want the boots, just the grease
does anyone know a quick answer would be great here I've gotta leave in a couple hours, and so far all I've found are people that sell the whole package, no one knows what the grease is or where to get it.

Thanks so much boys hope you can help.
Matt
I doubt there is a repair that you would be happy with, depending on the mileage how handy you are most of the time I would suggest changing the half shafts. I did change the boots only on my daughters I30 infinity, the boots tore and it only had 85K miles. Boots were $12 each at advance auto, which surprised me they were so low, most places they are about 30 each.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 AM
maxima985spd

im not looking forward to doing my drivers side axle.