4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cheaper to get new HeadUnit or replace Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Walmart has some really cheap but decent HU, I replaced mine 6 years ago with a $80 one, it comes with USB and SD slot so you can play your music from SD card or USB drive.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM

walmart? o puke, they have some allright stuff, but i'd get my stuff online and he's allready picked crutchfeild which i think is fine for that price.

Last edited by max ride 41; 02-16-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Our Maxima is too old, otherwise, I would install an Android base pad and separate amplifiers in the trunk, upgrade speakers (which I already did with Polk component speakers in the front) and add a dedicated 12" bass.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
Our Maxima is too old, otherwise, I would install an Android base pad and separate amplifiers in the trunk, upgrade speakers (which I already did with Polk component speakers in the front) and add a dedicated 12" bass.
jl components in the front and jl's in the back with rockford fosgate 4ohm sub and satellite too. hell, i could live in maxy with teh heated leather seats and dvd with moonroof. many a time i've taken 2 hours snoozes in maxy.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DennisMik

Bose speakers in the car are not industry standard speakers like the JVC is designed for. You will probably need to get line adapters (or equalizer) for the speakers so the sound isn't distorted. There is one made by PAC, the ROEM-NIS2. It costs $35 & up depending on where you buy it. If you do buy it, you do not need the Metra 70-7551 adapter.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

Talk to the Crutchfield people about these points.
Originally Posted by max ride 41
NOW, i remember why i hated the blose stereo. thank god i got a touch screen with dvd and bt, sooo much nicer and sound quality is alot better. if you upgrade the hu, upgrade the speakers as well, the headache you gotta go through to adapt the speakers and all that crap isn't worth it imo. i put a whole new wiring harness in with jl's and an alpine 600 watt 5 channel amp, i also have a nice little thumper in the trunk. i had to do it in stages, so i went with hu and speakers, amp and sub later. do it this way and you'll love it in the end.
Not sure why you guys are suggesting what I highlighted in bold. I've installed multiple double din units over the years in my Maximas and never had to worry about 'adapting the speakers'... The systems sound great to me. All I can think of that the units I purchased were considered high end 5 years ago and have what you're talking about built in?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 PM

Thanks guys
Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The JVC radio looks like a nice unit and will work in the Maxima with the proper adapters. The Metra wire harness adapter 70-7551 is the one you want.

There are 2 more things you will need. You will need an adapter for the antenna, Metra # 40NI10. You will also need something to fill the hole left in the console when you remove the double din Bose and put in the single din JVC. Metra has a "pocket" (# 98-7499) that would fill that space, but I don't know if it would work with the adapter that comes from Crutchfield. You would have to ask the Crutchfield people about that.

Bose speakers in the car are not industry standard speakers like the JVC is designed for. You will probably need to get line adapters (or equalizer) for the speakers so the sound isn't distorted. There is one made by PAC, the ROEM-NIS2. It costs $35 & up depending on where you buy it. If you do buy it, you do not need the Metra 70-7551 adapter.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

Talk to the Crutchfield people about these points.
My recommendation for the person reviving this old thread: if keeping the stock Bose speakers: find a decent HU with at least 4volt preouts and get the Metra 70-7551 adapter. With this combo, there is no need for any line adapters or any other silly stuff. Utilizing higher-volt preouts will allow for decent volume and output to the bose amps. As a matter of fact, this setup sounds surprisingly decent without having to drop a ton of money on an entire aftermarket setup. Using a HU with lower voltage preouts and the Metra 70-7551 adapter will only result in poor volume levels and disappointment. If you are looking at JVC, take a look at the JVC Arsenal lineup, most include higher volt preouts at a decent price, along with BT, HD Radio, and iPhone/iPod/Android support. Also, as Wizard stated, if you get a higher-end unit, you will not have to fuss with the problem I stated above involving low voltage preouts.

Last edited by tcaughey; 02-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Not sure why you guys are suggesting what I highlighted in bold. I've installed multiple double din units over the years in my Maximas and never had to worry about 'adapting the speakers'... The systems sound great to me. All I can think of that the units I purchased were considered high end 5 years ago and have what you're talking about built in?
That's because the subject of sound is very very, uhhhh, subjective
Everyone is an audiophile.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
That's because the subject of sound is very very, uhhhh, subjective
Everyone is an audiophile.
Well, it's like I figured. My headunits have 5V pre outs, so no need for extra crap.

Quote taken from recent discussion in 5th gen forum.

"My suggestion: get a high-end deck with at least 4.8v or 5v (high-voltage) preouts and use the Metra 70-7551 adapter. This method allows you to use your preouts on the headunit to send your audio signal to the Bose amps. Take note again, you need high-voltage preouts to do this. If you use anything below 4v, you will not be satisfied with the volume limit. Simply, you will not have enough signal output to achieve high volume levels. I've used both line-level and preout methods of connecting an aftermarket deck to Maxima Bose speakers, and the preout method is much more simple and clean as far as installation and I also feel this method achieves better sound quality (totally subjective!)."