4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clicking noise... ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2001, 04:28 PM

I just got new brake pads ( back and front) and I also got all the rotors resurfaced at an independent shop. Now, I'm hearing a clicking sound from the right front side... I did not hear this noise before.

Do I have to get a new rotor... or can it be something else like the cv joint? Because, I did see something leaking from the cv boot and I took it to the shop, and they told me it was just water from the a/c....

Can someone help out.. Thanks...

DBM?
Old 07-23-2001, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by kmax97
I just got new brake pads ( back and front) and I also got all the rotors resurfaced at an independent shop. Now, I'm hearing a clicking sound from the right front side... I did not hear this noise before.

Do I have to get a new rotor... or can it be something else like the cv joint? Because, I did see something leaking from the cv boot and I took it to the shop, and they told me it was just water from the a/c....

DBM?
The usual test for a bad CV joint is to go to a quiet parking lot and drive the car slowly (3 mph) in tight clockwise circles, and then tight counterclockwise circles. Do this in a forward gear, and also in reverse. A bad joint will usually make distinct rhythmic clicking or snapping sounds. Snap, snap, snap!
Old 07-23-2001, 07:14 PM

More information please

DBM?
Do you hear this sound when your foot is on the brake, off the brake, or both? Is the sound more pronounced when you are turning in one particular direction? Is it one isolated click, or a series of clicks? If a series, are the clicks rhythmic or random? If rhythmic, is the frequency related to engine speed, vehicle speed, or neither?
Old 07-23-2001, 07:21 PM

DBM?
Possible causes of this symptom include...
- bad Constant Velocity joint
- bad r/f wheel bearing
- bad drive axle support bearing
- loose drive axle support bearing bracket
- cracked rotor
- defective accessory drive belt
- defective accessory drive belt tensioner/idler
Old 07-23-2001, 07:23 PM

Re: More information please

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Do you hear this sound when your foot is on the brake, off the brake, or both? Is the sound more pronounced when you are turning in one particular direction? Is it one isolated click, or a series of clicks? If a series, are the clicks rhythmic or random? If rhythmic, is the frequency related to engine speed, vehicle speed, or neither?
I hear this sound when my foot is on the brake coming to a stop. In addition, the sound is more pronounce when I am turning to the right. They are a series of rhythmic clicks that are more distinct when I am traveling at low speeds about to make a stop.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Possible causes of this symptom include...
- bad Constant Velocity joint
- bad r/f wheel bearing
- bad drive axle support bearing
- loose drive axle support bearing bracket
- cracked rotor
- defective accessory drive belt
- defective accessory drive belt tensioner/idler
DBM, can you tell me some reliable places to go in order to diagnose this problem correctly because the places I went to were not helpful at all... I know I have one of the problems that you stated but I don't know what it is.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2001, 07:43 PM

DBM, can you tell me some reliable places to go in order to diagnose this problem correctly because the places I went to were not helpful at all...
Perhaps I could steer you to reliable places if I lived in your town... but I don't.

Ask friends, neighbors, coworkers. Chances are you will hear some horror stories, and also some glowing recommendations.

Independents usually charge less than the dealer. Perhaps you will find a former Nissan dealer technician who opened his own repair shop. That's a good man to know!