4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 04:23 PM

I attempted to change my fuel filter the other day and ran into some problems, hopefully somebody has some advice for me? I followed the link posted in the maintence sticky to bleed the fuel line. I was able to loosen the hose clamps off the top and bottom of the filter, it wasn't easy. But I was not able to get the hoses off the fuel filter. The hoses feel stiff where they were clamped. Should I replace the fuel line? The top one seems like it would be easy to replace, but the bottom one looks a little tough. Any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2001, 09:59 PM

You probably won't have much luck with the hoses if you pull them straight, away from the fuel filter. The hoses are rubber and will tend to act like a Chinese finger trap when stretched. Instead, try rotating the hoses off the fuel filter. I've also had good luck using a slotted screwdriver to pry the fuel lines off the filter. I don't think the hardness of the hoses where the clamps were is an indication of hose failure, but I may be wrong. I think it's just denser rubber due to compression at the area the clamp was on. I bet you can see the impression left on the hose after the clamp was removed.
Old 07-29-2001, 02:13 AM

Cut both lines and replace

I read in a post you can cut both lines off and replace, it's easier and faster than removing lines off filter.

Originally posted by Opington
I attempted to change my fuel filter the other day and ran into some problems, hopefully somebody has some advice for me? I followed the link posted in the maintence sticky to bleed the fuel line. I was able to loosen the hose clamps off the top and bottom of the filter, it wasn't easy. But I was not able to get the hoses off the fuel filter. The hoses feel stiff where they were clamped. Should I replace the fuel line? The top one seems like it would be easy to replace, but the bottom one looks a little tough. Any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2001, 03:00 AM

I used a flathead screwdriver to remove it little by little. I know there's not enough room to fit a long screwdriver, but you can buy one of the small ones (3" or 4" long). Just be patient when doing it, it'll eventually come of. Dont forget to put a lot of paper towels underneath the filter once you get the bottom hose out.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:26 PM

Got it

I was able to replace the Filter on my second attempt. I removed the air box to install my CAI and it was very easy to get at the filter. Once I got both hands on it it was very easy to replace. Definitely have many paper towels on hand, lot of fuel in the filter.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:45 PM

My transmisson seems to shift much smoother now also. maybe I can put off the transmisson upgrade.
Old 07-29-2001, 03:33 PM

My transmisson seems to shift much smoother now also. maybe I can put off the transmisson upgrade.
Congratulations on the successful outcome of this fuel filter change. It is unlikely that a new fuel filter will influence the behavior of the transmission. Perhaps this is the same phenomenon which makes people swear their car rides smoother and quieter immediately after it is washed.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Congratulations on the successful outcome of this fuel filter change. It is unlikely that a new fuel filter will influence the behavior of the transmission. Perhaps this is the same phenomenon which makes people swear their car rides smoother and quieter immediately after it is washed.

Wait but my car DOES ride quieter and smoother after it is washed! Must be those wax molecules causing all that air to slip over the body!! Hehe...just kidding.

But yeah, I've too heard that urban legend about a car being faster after it is waxed.

This is the second post in the past few days claiming that the transmission shifts smoother after doing some unrelated maintenance. The first was a changing the drive belts, and now the fuel filter. What's next?? I suppose changing the headlight bulbs might have the same effect as well.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.

hey guys, all kidding aside, i just replaced my fuel filter (ok, my mechanic did it) and i was wondering... should i expect better gas mileage now? sorry, i'm a maxima freak for sure, but i sure have a lot to learn about how they work thanks,
maury

Wait but my car DOES ride quieter and smoother after it is washed! Must be those wax molecules causing all that air to slip over the body!! Hehe...just kidding.

But yeah, I've too heard that urban legend about a car being faster after it is waxed.

This is the second post in the past few days claiming that the transmission shifts smoother after doing some unrelated maintenance. The first was a changing the drive belts, and now the fuel filter. What's next?? I suppose changing the headlight bulbs might have the same effect as well.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:37 PM

Transmission

Maybe I should rephrase; There is less hesitation between one gear to the next. Could it be be because of the new air intake, and that the old air filter was very, very dirty? According to the place that changed my oil last, the air filter was ok.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:51 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Transmission

Maybe I should rephrase; There is less hesitation between one gear to the next. Could it be be because of the new air intake, and that the old air filter was very, very dirty? According to the place that changed my oil last, the air filter was ok.
I thought we have to buy new filter. U could wash them?
Old 07-29-2001, 08:11 PM

the book says to change the fuel filter every 30 000 miles... that is all that i found in the haynes