4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

weird smell from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 09:34 PM

when i first turn on the A/C it sorta smells weird, a little moldy maybe, so how would i go about fixing this, do i just have to replace a filter and where is the filter?
Old 07-28-2001, 11:56 PM

It is the condensor that is has built up condensation and stays there. I found that purchasing some A/C Deoderizer from you local parts store and first run your heater full blast for 5 minutes to kill the mold and then spray the deoderizer into the intake of the A/C which is located in front of the windshield but behind the hood, it is the mesh type grill found right below the driver side windsheild wiper spray, run A/C and then shut off vehicle and turn on later to check on smell
Old 07-29-2001, 01:34 AM

under the glove box?

I thought the correct procedure was to spray disinfectant at the evaporator core. This is located under the glove box. At least that's what it say in the Haynes manual.

Originally posted by Gotrice4
It is the condensor that is has built up condensation and stays there. I found that purchasing some A/C Deoderizer from you local parts store and first run your heater full blast for 5 minutes to kill the mold and then spray the deoderizer into the intake of the A/C which is located in front of the windshield but behind the hood, it is the mesh type grill found right below the driver side windsheild wiper spray, run A/C and then shut off vehicle and turn on later to check on smell
Old 07-29-2001, 03:50 AM

yes the first diagnostic seems to be correct

in the piping of the a/c moisture from the cold air condenses. That trapped water molds after a period of time. run the heater for a few min...then spray a a/c deoderant (i say go cheap and use windex which has ammonia which will mask and destry the mold) into the intake duct of the ac. The reason for that is to have the ammonia travel through the entire piping tract. According the the haynes manual spraying the ac condensor core is the correct answer. I would do both. To have the cleaner go through the entire tract would clean the whole system. Hit the a/c condensor because that is where most mold tends to collect.

To prevent this from occuring in the future is to
1. shut off the a/c when not in use
2. after using the a/c shut it off and run hot air for a min or so.

shutting off the car with the a/c on traps moisture in the ducting. running hot air or even ambient air on a hot day will *remove* the moisture from the ducting.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:11 AM

Re: yes the first diagnostic seems to be correct

IIOO7II, everyone is correct. I've had the same problem and followed the instructions given. I no longer have the smell.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:22 PM

thanx guys
Old 07-30-2001, 01:53 AM

Re: yes the first diagnostic seems to be correct

Originally posted by party_boy
in the piping of the a/c moisture from the cold air condenses. That trapped water molds after a period of time. run the heater for a few min...then spray a a/c deoderant (i say go cheap and use windex which has ammonia which will mask and destry the mold) into the intake duct of the ac. The reason for that is to have the ammonia travel through the entire piping tract. According the the haynes manual spraying the ac condensor core is the correct answer. I would do both. To have the cleaner go through the entire tract would clean the whole system. Hit the a/c condensor because that is where most mold tends to collect.

To prevent this from occuring in the future is to
1. shut off the a/c when not in use
2. after using the a/c shut it off and run hot air for a min or so.

shutting off the car with the a/c on traps moisture in the ducting. running hot air or even ambient air on a hot day will *remove* the moisture from the ducting.

Another method to keep the smell away once you've cleaned the system is to turn off the AC a little before you arrive at your destination and just let the fan blow air through the system. This lets the evaporator dry off. If you drive with the AC on, and suddenly turn the car off, condensation will encourage mold again. Or, you can just use AC all the time, since I find that the smell only occurs with the AC off. Once I turn it on, the smell is gone in a minute or so.