4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Red Line ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 09:15 AM
Kevlo for President

some reason my car won't shift pass 6000 rpm, i have ridden in other auto maximas and they shifted at 6300+, but mine won't go pass 6, when i floor is it shifts between 5600-6000. i was thinking it was my fuel filter? what do all you u think. also under normal driving in my very small town i get bad gas mileage.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:45 AM
Kevlo for President

HELP I NEED THE ANSWER ASAP !!!!!!

!!
Old 07-30-2001, 10:03 AM

Just curious, are you comparing your car to other Maximas from the same year.

Also, why don't you try manual shifting to avoid this in the first place? Do you feel uncomfortable with it? I don't blame you if you do.

Are the other cars you are referring to been driven the same as yours for the same amount of time? Perhaps their trannies are more worn than yours causing them to shift later than what a "fresh" tranny would. Do they have the VB mod done...do you?

Why don't you just get a manual? Just kidding.

Why do you need an answer so quickly? What makes this so urgent? Do you have a race coming up?
Old 07-30-2001, 11:06 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by MarcJD
Just curious, are you comparing your car to other Maximas from the same year.

Also, why don't you try manual shifting to avoid this in the first place? Do you feel uncomfortable with it? I don't blame you if you do.

Are the other cars you are referring to been driven the same as yours for the same amount of time? Perhaps their trannies are more worn than yours causing them to shift later than what a "fresh" tranny would. Do they have the VB mod done...do you?

Why don't you just get a manual? Just kidding.

Why do you need an answer so quickly? What makes this so urgent? Do you have a race coming up?

i compared it to another 97 with the same milage, and no not a race, i need an answer quickly because i want to finish this before school starts . i don't think the dealer changed my fuel filter at the 60K service.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:12 AM

How long have you had your car? Are you rough on the tranny? Are the other people you are comparing with rough on theirs? Someone correct me if this doesn't matter...but I think it would.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:15 AM
Kevlo for President

How long have you had your car? Are you rough on the tranny? Are the other people you are comparing with rough on theirs? Someone correct me if this doesn't matter...but I think it would.
no i am not rough on the tranny, i have had the car for 5 years (first owner) . comparison no the other max owner drives faster than me but he isn't rough on it
Old 07-30-2001, 11:17 AM
Kevlo for President

do u know any signs of a bad fuel filter
Old 07-30-2001, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by kevlo911
One sign of a bad fuel filter is your car not starting. Just kidding. It shouldn't be too expensive or too hard to just change it yourself. I would simply ask the person that serviced it if they changed it or not...if that is normal practice. Although I don't see the direct relationship between the fuel filter and your tranny shifting. See if you can easily get it to 6300 RPMs in park...I don't know...it shouldn't affect it much as far as that is concerned.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:42 AM
Kevlo for President

One sign of a bad fuel filter is your car not starting. Just kidding. It shouldn't be too expensive or too hard to just change it yourself. I would simply ask the person that serviced it if they changed it or not...if that is normal practice. Although I don't see the direct relationship between the fuel filter and your tranny shifting. See if you can easily get it to 6300 RPMs in park...I don't know...it shouldn't affect it much as far as that is concerned.
i thought if it was a bad fuel filter at high rpm's the engine wasn't getting alot of gas because of the fuel filter being clogged. i will ask the dealer if they changed it. ALSO can anyone help be about my gas mileage, most of the time less than 25mpg
Old 07-30-2001, 01:15 PM

ALSO can anyone help be about my gas mileage, most of the time less than 25mpg
25 MPG...are you kidding? That is great! I am lucky to get in the low 20s...or to even hit the 20s. And a great deal of my driving is on the freeway...albeit at 80-90 MPH. Either try a Sentra or some performance mods, such as intake, and some of the exhaust ones.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:07 PM
Kevlo for President

25 MPG...are you kidding? That is great! I am lucky to get in the low 20s...or to even hit the 20s. And a great deal of my driving is on the freeway...albeit at 80-90 MPH. Either try a Sentra or some performance mods, such as intake, and some of the exhaust ones.

well i have read posts about peeps getting 27+mpg and gas cost so much, so i was wondering if i could improve it. Also will intake help my mpg?
Old 07-30-2001, 04:16 PM

well i have read posts about peeps getting 27+mpg and gas cost so much, so i was wondering if i could improve it. Also will intake help my mpg?
I was just giving you a hard time. I think I should be getting better MPG too...and perhaps I should. The intake should help a little...at the most probably 1 MPG or so. It frees up some horsepower. I have 40,000 miles on my car and I wonder why I don't get better gas mileage...besides my driving...which is probably it.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:45 PM

my 99 almost never shifts after 6100, its always 6100, I had a couple 6300 in the winter but it always shift @ 6100 in the summer, try redlining yr car when its cold maybe you can get above 6000
Old 07-30-2001, 04:46 PM

this is probably from people who do highway driving. i myself only get 20-23mpg and that is city driving, just like you, i wouldnt worry about it. its probably just your driving style lately. and bout the 6k shift, the only thing i can think of is you ECU. since you have a GLE, the 'luxury' model, maybe the ECU is programmed for smoother driving. i dont have anything to back that up, just an idea. also, im not sure if maximas do this, but my parent's cars do not shift pass 4500 rpms until the engine is warm. maybe the maxima has some feature like this too. good luck
Old 07-30-2001, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by _DRU_

this is probably from people who do highway driving. i myself only get 20-23mpg and that is city driving, just like you, i wouldnt worry about it. its probably just your driving style lately. and bout the 6k shift, the only thing i can think of is you ECU. since you have a GLE, the 'luxury' model, maybe the ECU is programmed for smoother driving. i dont have anything to back that up, just an idea. also, im not sure if maximas do this, but my parent's cars do not shift pass 4500 rpms until the engine is warm. maybe the maxima has some feature like this too. good luck
I agree that the temperature will have a big impact on when your car shifts...this includes how warm your car is (i.e. how long it has been running and driven), as well as the ambient temp. I have noticed the difference on more than one car.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:13 AM
Kevlo for President

I agree that the temperature will have a big impact on when your car shifts...this includes how warm your car is (i.e. how long it has been running and driven), as well as the ambient temp. I have noticed the difference on more than one car.

i always wait for the engine to warm before going fast. temperature needle is in the middle
Old 07-31-2001, 07:31 AM

Fuel pressure test

If you suspect your fuel filter, just go ahead and replace it. If you prefer to make a careful test, perform a fuel pressure test.

A fuel pressure test is a standard diagnostic test. You will find instructions and a diagram or picture in the Chilton repair manual (page 5-3) and the Haynes repair manual (page 4-3,4).

Bleed the fuel rail pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse (#32, 15 amps) and making several attempts to start the engine (it won't start). Install a T-fitting with a pressure gauge in the flexible rubber fuel line just downstream of the fuel filter. Install the fuel pump fuse. Start the engine. With the engine idling you should see the pressure maintain a stable 34 psi. Temporarily remove the vacuum signal hose from the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure should increase to 43 psi. Reconnect the vacuum signal hose and operate the throttle to vary the engine speed between idle and 3000 rpm. The fuel pressure should vary between 34 and 43 psi.

Readings less than 34 psi could be caused by an obstructed fuel filter, a weak fuel pump, or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Readings greater than 43 psi could be caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator or an obstructed fuel return line.

After turning the engine off the fuel system should hold pressure for many hours. If the residual pressure bleeds off in only one hour that is a sign of a problem... bad fuel pump check valve, injectors with an internal leak, bad fuel pressure regulator, or an external fuel leak.