4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clear Tail Lenses???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 02:48 PM

Where can you purchase this item to replace the amber lenses...i went to pep boys in jersey and they said they didn't have it and i would have to get them from a junkyard...so i was like "yeah right" and left...anyone have any suggestions...

saber
Old 08-01-2001, 02:56 PM
Kevlo for President

http://www.brianv.net/taillights.html

is this what u r talking about?
Old 08-01-2001, 05:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go to your local home center (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace) and get a fluorescent light bulb cover. It matches the existing clear lense perfectly.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
Go to your local home center (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace) and get a fluorescent light bulb cover. It matches the existing clear lense perfectly.
What do you use to cut this light cover. I am assuming it is plastic...
Old 10-11-2001, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dashingMax

A utility knife or exacto (sp?) knife. Heat it up a tiny bit and it'll be less prone to cracking.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:17 PM

I used a soldering iron... picked up a cheap one for about five bucks from Walmart..... cut through the fluorescent light cover like butta...
Old 10-11-2001, 01:20 PM

Sidemarkers

Originally posted by diesel9119

I used a soldering iron... picked up a cheap one for about five bucks from Walmart..... cut through the fluorescent light cover like butta...
Hey, I see that you have "cuzo sidemarkers". Did you install that yourself?
I know this is off the topic of this thread...but...

Was drilling that hole difficult?
Old 10-11-2001, 01:37 PM

Re: Sidemarkers

Hey, I see that you have "cuzo sidemarkers". Did you install that yourself?
I know this is off the topic of this thread...but...

Was drilling that hole difficult?
yup! actually, a buddy of mine and i did it... used a dremel kind of a tool... actually it was a DeWalt something or the other... but whatever.. HE cut the holes and i didn't watch (seriously) after marking the height off and what not, etc.... lol... but he knew what he was doing... it was really easy other than that... just make sure if you do it, to use some kind of a rust protectant/sealer to put around the edges when you affix them to the car, cause you basically cut through EVERYTHING... then you just splice them up to the blinkers and BLAM! AND they look great at night too... especially when you lock the car from the side, cause you can't always see the front and rear blinkers blink when you lock the car... one of my favorite cosmetic mods... but just my $.02... let me know if you have any other q's..
-Randy
Old 10-11-2001, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: Sidemarkers

yup! actually, a buddy of mine and i did it... used a dremel kind of a tool... actually it was a DeWalt something or the other... but whatever.. HE cut the holes and i didn't watch (seriously) after marking the height off and what not, etc.... lol... but he knew what he was doing... it was really easy other than that... just make sure if you do it, to use some kind of a rust protectant/sealer to put around the edges when you affix them to the car, cause you basically cut through EVERYTHING... then you just splice them up to the blinkers and BLAM! AND they look great at night too... especially when you lock the car from the side, cause you can't always see the front and rear blinkers blink when you lock the car... one of my favorite cosmetic mods... but just my $.02... let me know if you have any other q's..
-Randy
That "DRILLING" part gives me the creeps. I was in the 7-year honors med program and I got out in the first year for I could not cut open that pig.

Now I am dreading cutting open my car!! Yikes, I am a chicken when it comes to cutting anything
Old 10-12-2001, 04:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Sidemarkers

That "DRILLING" part gives me the creeps. I was in the 7-year honors med program and I got out in the first year for I could not cut open that pig.

Now I am dreading cutting open my car!! Yikes, I am a chicken when it comes to cutting anything
Dude... I am the same way... the drilling thing that is... AND that is EXACTLY why I let my friend do it... but after seeing what he did, I would definitely attempt it on my own if I had to... it was Really NO big deal what-so-ever... I was overly worried, but hey, who WANTS to cut their car? lol... i mean, you could pay someone to do it for you... but i've heard people paying up to $100 to get this done, when YOU could do it in 1 hr on a Saturday afternoon! Trust me, your car doesn't even need a general anestethic for this procedure!
Old 10-12-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sidemarkers

Dude... I am the same way... the drilling thing that is... AND that is EXACTLY why I let my friend do it... but after seeing what he did, I would definitely attempt it on my own if I had to... it was Really NO big deal what-so-ever... I was overly worried, but hey, who WANTS to cut their car? lol... i mean, you could pay someone to do it for you... but i've heard people paying up to $100 to get this done, when YOU could do it in 1 hr on a Saturday afternoon! Trust me, your car doesn't even need a general anestethic for this procedure!
Maybe I'll do the same that you did, only it will cost me money. I have a friend who has a friend who is a mechanic for last 20 years and does all performance mods. But since he is not a direct friend, it'll cost me some money. I'm going to ask... maybe this weekend, I'll have it.