4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shing, Bill adn anyone else serious about lighting >>

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 06:12 AM

I modified the 4th Gen headlamp housing last night to fit the 9007 bulb. Have any of you guys tried this yet. I had a spare headlamp (it's a salvage from a wreck so it's ok) that cut into. Basically its as simple as removing two fo the three anti-rotation/locating keys on the ID of the housing where the bulb is mounted. I'll be testing to see if the beam pattern is any better. The 9007 bulb as you know has its filaments mounted axially within the bulb glass which is conducive to producing a more efficient and usable amount of light. Whether or not the HB1 reflector can use it's output remains to be seen. My next attempt will be at the mounting of an H4.

As you guys can see, I'm getting a bit desperate here...I'll try anything at this point.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wow good luck
Old 08-02-2001, 09:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good luck and let us know how it comes out. I won't mind have an h4 bulb in my car.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:20 AM

Luck...I'll need it >>

To mount an H4 in the 4thGen headlamp housing will require some minor machine work and a donor headlamps from a car that uses the H4 bulb in an externally adjusted housing. I took at a good look at several cars (including the 5th Gen and Infiniti G20) in which the OE headlamp uses the H4 bulb. All of the cars I looked at have headlamps with clear acrylic lenses, and parabolic reflectors. I observed that in each case, there was nothing in the reflector that provided for the beam pattern of the headlamp. THe pattern and the associated cut-off were formed by the H4 bulb, and the small cover shield over the bulb. This leads me to believe that an H4 bulb, placed in the proper focal point position, could very well work in the 4th Gen's HB1 headlamp housing.

I'll try and find the time this week to test the 9007 bulb to see if there is an improvement over the 9004.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Luck...I'll need it >>

Wow, I'm rooting for you bub. Good luck!

DW

Originally posted by Albertt
To mount an H4 in the 4thGen headlamp housing will require some minor machine work and a donor headlamps from a car that uses the H4 bulb in an externally adjusted housing. I took at a good look at several cars (including the 5th Gen and Infiniti G20) in which the OE headlamp uses the H4 bulb. All of the cars I looked at have headlamps with clear acrylic lenses, and parabolic reflectors. I observed that in each case, there was nothing in the reflector that provided for the beam pattern of the headlamp. THe pattern and the associated cut-off were formed by the H4 bulb, and the small cover shield over the bulb. This leads me to believe that an H4 bulb, placed in the proper focal point position, could very well work in the 4th Gen's HB1 headlamp housing.

I'll try and find the time this week to test the 9007 bulb to see if there is an improvement over the 9004.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:04 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Hmmmm....interesting work Albertt....keep us updated....9007s with minimal mods would at least be better than nothing.....
Old 08-02-2001, 01:21 PM

I modified the 4th Gen headlamp housing last night to fit the 9007 bulb. Have any of you guys tried this yet. I had a spare headlamp (it's a salvage from a wreck so it's ok) that cut into. Basically its as simple as removing two fo the three anti-rotation/locating keys on the ID of the housing where the bulb is mounted. I'll be testing to see if the beam pattern is any better. The 9007 bulb as you know has its filaments mounted axially within the bulb glass which is conducive to producing a more efficient and usable amount of light. Whether or not the HB1 reflector can use it's output remains to be seen. My next attempt will be at the mounting of an H4.

As you guys can see, I'm getting a bit desperate here...I'll try anything at this point.
Hello Albertt,

I'm not sure about 9007 bulb will perform better than 9004 bulb, you can check out www.lighting.philips.com , it's very good site. Just try to help here.

Thai Hoang.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:07 PM

Any results?

This sounds like a major project to me! Take some pics of the changes...what u did in side the housing and the beam patters =D

G'ol'Luck!
Brandon
Old 08-02-2001, 03:59 PM

when do you want to try the CEFIRO lights?
let's meet up Albert..
SY~
Old 08-03-2001, 05:12 AM

SY: Let do meet up. I still want to investigate that option. nm

nm
Old 08-03-2001, 05:15 AM

Re: Any results?

Originally posted by MaximaMan
This sounds like a major project to me! Take some pics of the changes...what u did in side the housing and the beam patters =D

G'ol'Luck!
Brandon
None yet, I didn't get a chance last night to look at the beam patterns. I don't have a digital camera, but I guess that I can buy one of those disposable ones just for this.