4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Home made side skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 07:05 PM
Sunrise

Wouldnt it be possible to cut and stick on some side skirts from say, a BMW or something? Like if the are too long, just cut them into shape, I mean, why spend $300 on the stillen skirts or even more on the Sarona, when you can find some cheap skirts for another car and if they fit, stick them on?

Old 08-02-2001, 07:17 PM

I was gonna try it

You can buy side skirts for like $60 that are universal fit. I figure you can file it or shape it any way you want. My friend is a student of Pasadena Art Center and has access to make the real thing though. He works with just about every material. It's just a shame that he has no interest whatsoever in cars....80% of the students major in auto design.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:21 PM

accord side skirt might fit

Originally posted by Sunrise
Wouldnt it be possible to cut and stick on some side skirts from say, a BMW or something? Like if the are too long, just cut them into shape, I mean, why spend $300 on the stillen skirts or even more on the Sarona, when you can find some cheap skirts for another car and if they fit, stick them on?
I have seen an Accord side skirt on A32 Cefiro.'s
I dunno what year Accord skirts tho!

SY~
Old 08-02-2001, 07:24 PM

It's possible, but it's going to look nasty unless you know how to do body work well. If you cut side skirts to fit, how are you going to clean up the cut? It's not like you can just tape the 2 pieces together after shortening them. You have to mold them back together. It's pretty common to use sideskirts meant for another car, but it's custom work. It's not cheap, it's going to cost more to be done right than it would to buy ones meant for a Maxima. If you're trying to save money, just go without sideskirts. Please don't make your car look like crap in the interest of saving money. BTW, the Sarona sideskirts aren't any more than the Stillen ones.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:57 PM
Sunrise

=(

wow, such harsh criticism.
I dont plan on making my car "ugly in the interest of saving money".
I just thought that originality might be a GOOD thing...guess not.

Old 08-03-2001, 08:23 PM

so i take it that slapping on some 2x4's on the side and painting them white is out of the question????
Old 08-03-2001, 11:50 PM

Re: =(

Originality is a very good thing. Trying to modify your car badly is not. If you get sideskirts for another car and put them on your car, that's great, but it's not going to be cheap. If you try to do it cheaply, your car is going to look like crap. That's all I was trying to say. A friend of mine had sideskirts custom fitted to his car, it was definitely not cheap. You seemed to want to do this in the interest of saving money, not to be original, that's why I said what I said. Too many people ugly out their cars putting cheap homemade mods on them. If you have the skills to craft a high quality modification for your car, do it. If you don't, please don't half *** the job.

wow, such harsh criticism.
I dont plan on making my car "ugly in the interest of saving money".
I just thought that originality might be a GOOD thing...guess not.
Old 08-04-2001, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor

It's a goog idea!

Looking at things from another perspective than the other posts, it's not that difficult to fit side skirts from another car to the Max. I know this because I asked my body shop if they could do this and the answer was yes. He also told me that cutting them to the proper length would not be a big issue, taking into account that you are still going to have to sand them down to get the old paint of and them paint them the same color as your car, in that process they can blend the two pieces together. I'm planing on doing this to my car, but I still haven't found any side skirts that I like, buy I'll try and keep you posted.

Good luck!